• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2023/24 Premier League Thread

VAR can't give yellows. It's red or nothing. What constitutes a red depends on the ref in charge.
It makes absolutely no sense. Wasn't VAR supposed to be about correcting clear and obvious errors? Do they think refs never gets yellow card calls wrong, unless there's a red card/potential red card involved?

It makes absolutely no sense. Wasn't VAR supposed to be about correcting clear and obvious errors? Do they think refs never gets yellow card calls wrong, unless there's a red card/potential red card involved?

Alas, VAR cannot get involved in such lnstances unless they are considering a red for violent conduct.

VAR can't give yellows. It's red or nothing. What constitutes a red depends on the ref in charge.
Wasn't there an instance last season where the ref was called over to check an incident for a possible red and, on viewing, gave a yellow instead (having originally given nothing)?
Seems like a loophole that should have been used to give Coufal his just desserts.

You cant tell me we are not still 'paying' for that Liverpool game

We definitely are. That we have only had one penalty too almost halfway through the season is baffling given that there are multiple occasions in which our players have been fouled in the box with nothing given; Yates holding Son and Maddison being fouled against Sheffield United are just two examples but I know that there are others.

Someone always wades in with this as if we don't know, we are discussing the ridiculous limitations imposed.

Most folks are aware that the rules currently do not allow for VAR to intervene in yellow card decisions. But the rule is dogbrick, it's not a "can't" it's a "won't". It's weird to not use something that could easily help the ref who does miss things because there's a lot going on:

The ref clearly missed Yates waving an imaginary yellow, VAR could easily pick that up and give a yellow at the next stop in play.

Refs often pussy out of giving a player diving in the box a yellow, when it's absolutely a penalty or a dive. VAR checks and brings it back if it is a penalty, why not also ensure the correct punishment is dished out if it's not a penalty and it's a dive? The technology only punishes the defender for committing a foul but if the attacking player has indeed committed the foul by diving and the ref misses it, they just get away with it?

When a player goes down holding their face but the replay clearly shows no contact anywhere near their face, I'd be very happy for VAR to clamp down on that by I don't know, maybe just using the footage to find out what actually happened and then dealing with the incident correctly?

Someone always wades in with this as if we don't know, we are discussing the ridiculous limitations imposed.

Most folks are aware that the rules currently do not allow for VAR to intervene in yellow card decisions. But the rule is dogbrick, it's not a "can't" it's a "won't". It's weird to not use something that could easily help the ref who does miss things because there's a lot going on:

The ref clearly missed Yates waving an imaginary yellow, VAR could easily pick that up and give a yellow at the next stop in play.

Refs often pussy out of giving a player diving in the box a yellow, when it's absolutely a penalty or a dive. VAR checks and brings it back if it is a penalty, why not also ensure the correct punishment is dished out if it's not a penalty and it's a dive? The technology only punishes the defender for committing a foul but if the attacking player has indeed committed the foul by diving and the ref misses it, they just get away with it?

When a player goes down holding their face but the replay clearly shows no contact anywhere near their face, I'd be very happy for VAR to clamp down on that by I don't know, maybe just using the footage to find out what actually happened and then dealing with the incident correctly?

You're far to idealistic and are doomed to live in a world were you don't fit in.
I think if a player goes down rolling around holding his face and it proves he is faking the player who he is trying to get in trouble should be allowed to have a swing at him. I have now reached an age where such manic ideas are reasonable to me.

You're far to idealistic and are doomed to live in a world were you don't fit in.
I think if a player goes down rolling around holding his face and it proves he is faking the player who he is trying to get in trouble should be allowed to have a swing at him. I have now reached an age where such manic ideas are reasonable to me.
Thanks mate, you should write Christmas cards ;)

It would be an interesting solution to the problem, whilst I'm not sure we should be pushing violence as a punishment I think it'd definitely work as a deterrent.

Whilst we're on the subject of yellows, I really hope they clamp down on anyone who stands near where a ball is going to land, doesn't jump but just nudges the other player as soon as they leap in to the air so they a horrible landing potentially upside down. I do predict we're going to see a horrendous injury ie neck break and the offending player is going to profusely apologize but it won't change the outcome.

There is already a model for this (although I believe they have clamped down on it a bit in recent years).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_neSjf8QMA

Thanks mate, you should write Christmas cards ;)

It would be an interesting solution to the problem, whilst I'm not sure we should be pushing violence as a punishment I think it'd definitely work as a deterrent.

Whilst we're on the subject of yellows, I really hope they clamp down on anyone who stands near where a ball is going to land, doesn't jump but just nudges the other player as soon as they leap in to the air so they a horrible landing potentially upside down. I do predict we're going to see a horrendous injury ie neck break and the offending player is going to profusely apologize but it won't change the outcome.
I've got a beachfront property in that world,
There is already a model for this (although I believe they have clamped down on it a bit in recent years).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_neSjf8QMA

Proper reaction to cheating, no rolling round on the floor.

Back