• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Official 2016/17 Premier League Thread

What in the fudgety fudge was that from Fellaini? Leicester could play all night without creating anything themselves.

What in the fudgeety fudge was that from Fellaini? Leicester could play all night without creating anything themselves.
Leicester are a really poor footballing side. It's all hoofing and fighting. That's all they have! As soon as they try to play proper football, it's two passes and they lose the ball. Only Mahrez is capable of actually doing something with the ball. It's embarrassing that lot won the fudging league!

Paul Merson: I would always rather make a prediction than sit on the fence, but I think this is the hardest ever season to predict.

The top six could be in any order. I wouldn't be shocked if Emirates Marketing Project came sixth and Tottenham won the league! I'm not saying that because of what Leicester did last year, I'm saying that because I don't think there's much between these teams.

I'm going for Chelsea (1) to be champions on the strength of the manager, Antonio Conte, and Eden Hazard. The Belgium international had a terrible campaign last season, but could still be the best player in the league. If he gets going again then the Blues could sneak their way to the top.

I'll put Emirates Marketing Project (2) second and I could make a case for Manchester United (3) winning the title with Jose Mourinho in charge. They have a big squad full of big players.

If Arsenal (4) had bought a world-class centre forward and centre half, I would have picked them for the title, but they haven't. It would probably help them in the long term if they didn't finish in the top four for one season because it would force them to make some changes - but I expect them to be around fourth.

It wouldn't surprise me if Liverpool (5) finish in the top four and Tottenham (6) won't be far off either because they already have a team while everybody else has had to buy a team.

I like West Ham (7) and with their new stadium they should be playing Champions League football within four years because of the money they should turn over. I like Ronald Koeman a lot, but if Everton (8) let Romelu Lukaku and John Stones leave without replacing them they would drop from eighth to 12th in my predicted table.

Southampton (9) are a steady club and I think they'll be able to cope with the loss of Sadio Mane, while Stoke (10) are a team with good footballers. There's a fairly clear top seven in the Premier League and they'll be right near the top of the "other league" along with Southampton and Everton.

I think Leicester (11) will be in for a hard season, but they'll definitely be in the middle of the table. I certainly wouldn't expect a relegation battle at all, but with Champions League football each week it will be hard for them to finish high up.

Crystal Palace (12) are one of those teams who will win a streak of games and then lose a streak of games. Alan Pardew will win seven on the trot and then lose seven on the trot and he needs to break that trend. If he can do that then there's no reason why they can't get into the top eight.

I like the look of Middlesbrough (13) and I think the Riverside Stadium will be rocking in the Premier League this season. I think they could have a similar season to what Bournemouth had after being promoted last year.

David Moyes is a good manager and this is a perfect job for him without the pressure of a club like Manchester United. He will make Sunderland (14)hard to beat and they will collect good results along the way.

I have put Swansea (15), Watford (16) and West Brom (17) in the bottom six and all three of them could finish in the bottom three. I would be surprised if there's more than three points between those sides at the end of the season. Will Troy Deeney and Odion Ighalo score the goals to keep Watford up for a second season in a row? Have the rest of the team got much to bring to the party?

Some people might be shocked by this, but I think Bournemouth (18) might go down. They play good football, but at the end of last season teams were getting used to the way they were playing and became a lot cuter against them. This season they could struggle.

Hull (19) have not had a good summer with Steve Bruce leaving. I thought Ryan Giggs might have got that job and that might have lifted them and made a difference.

I like Burnley (20), but they haven't invested enough and I'm interested to see if Andre Gray can step up from the Championship to the Premier League. We've seen centre-forwards struggle to step up in the past and it'll be interesting to see what they can do. They will have to work hard every week to get a result and that could take its toll. It will be tight at the bottom, though, and I don't see anyone getting cut adrift.

paul-merson-premier-league-predictions-pundit_3760459.jpg

I think the knitting blogside Stadium will be rocking in the Premier League this season.

I bet it will! Nothing more intimidating than a stadium packed with knitters and bloggers. They'll be knitting and blogging the sh1t out of every visiting team!

Sent from outer space

Paul Merson is a clam.

He is, but I don't disagree with too much of what he has said there. The top 6 is tough to pick an order and obviously he's put us at the bottom of the 6, but with the caveat he wouldn't be surprised if we won the title either!

We could get caught up in the CL so the league will be tough for us, I see Chelsea and Pool doing well domestically souly because that's there only focus and if they aren't challenging in the league or the cups then their managers are in big trouble, particularly Kloop.

http://www.cityam.com/247430/alan-pardew-eager-crystal-palace-adopt-tiki-taka-style-new
Crystal Palace boss Alan Pardew has promised a new brand of football this season with a slant towards the tiki-taka style pioneered by reigning La Liga champions Barcelona.
The Eagles have bolstered their squad with the close season signings of former Tottenham winger Andros Townsend, defender James Tomkins from West Ham and Marseille goalkeeper Steve Mandanda.

Yep, that should do the trick. Crystal Barca.

http://www.cityam.com/247430/alan-pardew-eager-crystal-palace-adopt-tiki-taka-style-new
Crystal Palace boss Alan Pardew has promised a new brand of football this season with a slant towards the tiki-taka style pioneered by reigning La Liga champions Barcelona.
The Eagles have bolstered their squad with the close season signings of former Tottenham winger Andros Townsend, defender James Tomkins from West Ham and Marseille goalkeeper Steve Mandanda.

Yep, that should do the trick. Crystal Barca.
Townsend = Neymar
Tomkins = Pique
Manadana = um...whoever.
Yep works for me. They are going to tika-taka the fudge out of everyone.

Heard an interview with Wenger today, and I really liked what he said. I just heard it, so I'm just writing from my memory. On a question about the inflated player prices, he said:
"Often the price reflect the quality, but it is still possible to find top quality players for reasonable prices. But it gets increasingly harder to convince fans of that."

Sent from outer space

Watching Leicester now and it's just baffling. Was last season just a bad dream? There is no way this team could finish in the top half, let alone win the league.

Said it at the end of last season, would not surprise me if Leicester fight for relegation survival this year.

Hull look well organised.

Back