• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The "Official" 2013/14 Other teams matches thread

**** are well settled compared to every other side, and they have a strong vision and blueprint throughout the club so they rarely suffer when they lose any single one player. I actually think that under AVB we are getting closer to that ideal of a true "style" of play, as Liverpool have under Rodgers, but it will take time and patience. Keep in mind that our *record* signing has yet to start for us; we may have "spent" our 100M well, but one-third of that has yet to take the pitch.

Even Eriksen has barely started for us, and just by nature he and Lamela will be especially dependent on their familiarity with teammates. I think January really is critical - I simply cannot see United not opening the checkbook and getting Herrera and a Rio replacement, and that could be a decisive factor for their second half. The other key element for me is, strangely enough, Adebayor, because I think for all his faults his creativity, link-up, and possession play would shine in our new look team. I really hope he can get his head in order and come back into the fold.

**** are well settled compared to every other side, and they have a strong vision and blueprint throughout the club so they rarely suffer when they lose any single one player. I actually think that under AVB we are getting closer to that ideal of a true "style" of play, as Liverpool have under Rodgers, but it will take time and patience. Keep in mind that our *record* signing has yet to start for us; we may have "spent" our 100M well, but one-third of that has yet to take the pitch.

Even Eriksen has barely started for us, and just by nature he and Lamela will be especially dependent on their familiarity with teammates. I think January really is critical - I simply cannot see United not opening the checkbook and getting Herrera and a Rio replacement, and that could be a decisive factor for their second half. The other key element for me is, strangely enough, Adebayor, because I think for all his faults his creativity, link-up, and possession play would shine in our new look team. I really hope he can get his head in order and come back into the fold.

That's a good point about scum and us. Not only do we have a relatively new coach but we just sold our best player who the team was more or less built to play around.

Remember that Wenger has had years to instill a footballing philosophy from the bottom up - every single age group at **** plays the same way, every single player he buys he thinks of in terms of potential "fit" with his style. It doesn't always work out, but the larger point is that he emphasizes the stylistic fit - understanding the basics of pass-and-move, a focus on one-touch passing, building triangles etc. - as much as the player's quality and "name".

While we have changed our youth structure to hopefully instill our own vision throughout every age group, we haven't had that kind of continuous transfer philosophy for even as long as Swansea, much less ****. Instead we have mainly been opportunistic in the market, signing boatloads of players under Comolli in the hopes that a few will work out and then jumping at (sometimes spectacularly good) bargains and freebies under Harry (and I'm not judging this, we are very much money-constrained relative to our competitors so we have to be thrifty).

Then AVB came along all of a sudden, but our transfer strategy remained the same, disorganized and scattered - for example, there was very little chance that replacing VdV and Modric with a non-playmaking-second-strikers like Dempsey and Siggy and then missing out on Moutinho and Willian was in AVB's plans. Dempsey and Siggy are classic moneyball signings, cheap-ish players who have great stats because they finish moves rather than participate in the qualitative task of building them. They are not bad players by any means, but I call them the extra cards in your deck, not the building blocks to remake a torn-apart team looking a new identity and vision.

A much better comparison than **** in truth, is us and Liverpool. We both got our new managers at the same time (and concurrently, new philosophies); we've always wanted that genius "dynastic" manager who would help us hold our own against far wealthier clubs for years and years; we compete in a similar market with an eye on moneyball (sometimes rather amusingly so, in the head-to-heads :lol:). As much as I dislike his personality, my personal opinion is that Rodgers has done a very good job instilling his own vision at Liverpool fairly swiftly, with some superb team displays last season .... but I also believe that Carroll aside, with Comolli out of the way Rodgers has been able to inherit or sign his ideal kind of possession-oriented players (Suarez, Henderson, Allen, Coutinho, Enrique, L Alberto, a bunch of La Liga imports etc).

The thing is, for me AVB has not really had this luxury until Baldini + Bale-level money came in. If last season was a young manager still coming to terms with the squad he inherited, to me this season is the real beginning of the revolution at the Lane. Yes we signed a few key players in previous windows too (Lloris! Verts!), but I believe it's really the Magnificent Seven who bear the hallmarks of a true transfer strategy for the first time. Last year's players were players we signed because of their quality; this year's players are players we've signed because they have the potential qualities integral for a certain kind of style, system, vision.

This is perhaps a controversial statement, but if we run with that Liverpool comparison I think we are actually a small step behind them in terms of re-fashioning the team in our new manager's vision. That is why our current stats are so damn similar to their first season under Rodgers: controlling the midfield, having the highest passes in the final third, having the highest shots in the league and conceding the lowest, while still not being able to score much and sometimes not getting the results you'd expect from those stats. I believe this is because the high-line, high-pressing, 'death by football' style is one of the most difficult to execute - by forcing them back you're actually denying yourself the space to create clear chances, while also leaving yourself vulnerable in the few times they manage to breach your high line. So you need to know how to provoke them out, react like a viper after forcing the turnovers, and move the ball at frightening speed to create chances in narrow fighting quarters ... and that takes an incredible level of familiarity and players who have all the qualities of intelligence, technique, and dynamism in rare depth.

GHod knows Liverpool didn't manage to get anywhere near it until they got Coutinho and Sturridge ... but the thing is, I think it is well worth the difficult transition period and the multiple windows to get this right. We have made incredible steps this summer in acquiring a number of key building blocks, now we need the patience to really craft it. Do we as fans have that patience? I don't know, not when CL has become so important, not when our neighbors are flying so high - but I hope we keep in mind that is precisely because they're reaping the rewards of perseverance right now. We've chosen the long and difficult road, not the one where we get sugardaddies or miraculously come upon the One player or manager or system that will transform us at a wave of the wand. For me though, that's the only one worth taking.

The problem with Bale is that the manager neither wanted or needed him. But Real will not have the most expsensive player sitting on the bench for too long - it would make them look stupid. If Ancelotti doesnt pick him he will be sacked.

If you are talking about 'wining the league' it might be irrelevant what united do by the time January comes around. Moyes needs to get them playing...

Although taking into account the fixtures he has played, he's drawn with Chelsea and lost to Liverpool and City.. The only really odd result has been west brom..

For some reason I always feel it's harder to play catch up in the league..

The problem with Bale is that the manager neither wanted or needed him. But Real will not have the most expsensive player sitting on the bench for too long - it would make them look stupid. If Ancelotti doesnt pick him he will be sacked.

The stupid thing is the one who did want him was Perez, who will likely lose the next election if he doesn't perform. It's early days yet though, it's one to watch.

Bet their local rivals beating them at home wasn't in the script Perez wrote.

Real like to be thought of as the best team in the world. Barcelona annoy them as recently they've called into question Real's claim even to be the best team in Spain.

But wait....what's this? Where did these guys come from? You mean we're not even the best team in f***ing Madrid now? Jesus I give up!

Rio is too old
Evra is past his best
Vidic is a crock
Rafael is Glen Johnson tier
Cleverley is not good enough, expect to see him at Sunderland/Fulham soon
Nani is at best, inconsistent, at worst, utter ****
Anderson is ****
Welbeck doesn't score b-but muh pace and position
Giggs is past it
Young is a diving **** who has lost all form
Zaha blatantly isn't ready
RVP going back to his injury days
Youth coming through is ****
Young players bought in look ****

Whole united squad needs a massive clearout. Only positives are Phil Jones, Smalling, De Gay, Hernandez, Kagawa, Fellaini and Rooney. No SaF to save them this time, United will be right there with us fighting for a top 4 place, and I fancy us over them. Moyes had a lot of work to do in the summer, and he didn't do any of it.

Rafael is the best right back in the league behind Zabaleta.
De Gea is one of the best keepers in the league.
Fellaini is a great purchase
Carrick is top class
Januzaj is going to be a star
Rooney is world class
RVP is deadly.
Kagawa is awesome.

In fact

....................van Persie
Kagawa........Rooney.........Januzaj/Zaha
..........Fellaini..........Carrick

would be a damn good attack. You have the right balance with Carrick and Fellaini, you have the creativity of Kagawa, the passion and desire of Rooney, the pace and directness of Januzaj and Zaha and that lethal finish of van Persie.

Rafael is the best right back in the league behind Zabaleta.
De Gea is one of the best keepers in the league.
Fellaini is a great purchase
Carrick is top class
Januzaj is going to be a star
Rooney is world class
RVP is deadly.
Kagawa is awesome.

In fact

....................van Persie
Kagawa........Rooney.........Januzaj/Zaha
..........Fellaini..........Carrick

would be a damn good attack. You have the right balance with Carrick and Fellaini, you have the creativity of Kagawa, the passion and desire of Rooney, the pace and directness of Januzaj and Zaha and that lethal finish of van Persie.

People keep telling me how good Kagawa is but I have seen him a dozen times now and really don't understand the fuss.

People keep telling me how good Kagawa is but I have seen him a dozen times now and really don't understand the fuss.

I suppose youd have to have seen him for Dortmund to see the love really. He has been played all over the shop at Man Utd. I thought he was great against us at OT when we beat them last year, then Fergie SUBBED HIM OFF!!!

Norwich were excellent today and to be honest it's been coming the last few weeks IMO - they've been very neat but not got results so far, but there looks to be skill in that team to me and a good spirit.

In fact, I think a lot of teams have upped their game this season right through the league. The only team that has looked truly out of their depth is Palace. Even Sunderland have some good players who look hungry despite loony Paolo. Fulham have been unlucky and have loads of quality....above them are Spam, Toon, Stoke, Swansea, Cardiff...again, some good squads there. (Although Stoke were atrocious today).

Norwich were excellent today and to be honest it's been coming the last few weeks IMO - they've been very neat but not got results so far, but there looks to be skill in that team to me and a good spirit.

In fact, I think a lot of teams have upped their game this season right through the league. The only team that has looked truly out of their depth is Palace. Even Sunderland have some good players who look hungry despite loony Paolo. Fulham have been unlucky and have loads of quality....above them are Spam, Toon, Stoke, Swansea, Cardiff...again, some good squads there. (Although Stoke were atrocious today).
CP are doomed but the other 2 are unpredictable..but Fulham have been poor in their 2 games I have seen long periods of.

I thought Norwich spent well in the summer, maybe they're just getting used to eachother.

RVW hasn't quite hit it off yet since he scored on his debut but supply him chances and I have no doubt he'll score, think it's the same with Hooper when he's up to speed and match fit after his injury. Leroy Fer and Nathan Redmond in midfield have both impressed me very very much, I had been saying we should sign Redmond for a few years as he would have been the perfect like for like for Lennon but I guess the ship has sailed with change in manager and style since then.

I think they have a reliable goalkeeper in John Ruddy too. I think the defence could do with a bit of sorting out. Bassong is a superb player for them, but the rest isn't he greatest, then again I suppose it's round about their level.

Back