• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The midweek/weekend games thread

whos fatter?

• grant holt

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • mark viduka

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters
Well done. Now the OMT gods are gonna fudge us over because you started a new OMT when there was one stickied. We lose on Sunday it will be because of this thread.

Welbeck's done sweet fudge all other than look like Will Smith from Fresh Prince

Single, most overrated PL striker of the season so far

If he played for Wigan wouldn't even be considered to be the guy buying the tape they use to wrap on their socks/shins before games

Pearce - I'm not for long-term

Interim boss feels England are lacking belief

Last Updated: March 1, 2012 7:49am

Stuart Pearce does not feel he is the man to take charge of England on a permanent basis but would be prepared to stay at the helm for Euro 2012.

The England Under-21s coach took caretaker charge of the senior side for Wednesday night's 3-2 friendly defeat by Holland following Fabio Capello's resignation.

Pearce says he is open to leading England into this summer's European Championship if the Football Association do not appoint a permanent boss before the tournament, but does not see himself taking the job full-time.

Experience

"I feel I would be confident in taking the squad to the Euros because of the experience I have got as an international player and manager," he said.

"That wouldn't be daunting to me. I don't think after that period I have the experience for this job.

"I really enjoyed this week. I would enjoy the summer if that opportunity was there. All I'm doing is buying the Football Association some time if they've not got someone in place.

"The full-time manager of England is somebody else at this moment in time. It certainly isn't me."

Tottenham midfielder Scott Parker was Pearce's surprise selection for the captaincy role against the Netherlands, with Steven Gerrard having been tipped as favourite for the armband ahead of the clash.

The coach applauded Parker's performance, telling Sky Sports: "I've very pleased with him.

"A lot will be made about who's captain and who isn't. People have to realise that I'm around these players all the time.

"I just had a feeling (from) his personality around the players, and I think he'll grow with the job to be fair.

"But that's a one-off call for me tonight. Whether he goes into the summer or on and beyond that I've made my feelings quite well known.

"But we hope the FA will have someone in place by then. If not I am available for the summer and we'll work from there."

Arjen Robben scored the winner for Holland in injury time after goals from Gary Cahill and Ashley Young had looked like earning England an unlikely draw after they conceded two goals in two second-half minutes from Robben and Klaas Jan Huntelaar.

Belief

Pearce, who chose to field several younger players in the Wembley clash, believes England are lacking confidence.

"I think we need to galvanise a bit of belief within the group if I'm being honest, which has probably been lacking before this evening in some games," he said.

"It's galvanising that little bit of belief in their ability. We put a lot of young players on the pitch tonight and found out a great deal about them.

"Tonight was a big call, this is one of the best teams in the world. But I decided it was the right and proper thing to do, for us to learn something as an organisation about these players and those players to get a feel of international football at the top level."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12016/7556812/Pearce-I-m-not-for-long-term

Parker gets Gerrard backing

Midfielder keen to keep armband for Euro 2012

Last Updated: March 1, 2012 7:25am

England midfielder Scott Parker says Steven Gerrard was the first person to congratulate him after he was named captain for Wednesday's defeat by Holland.

Liverpool skipper Gerrard was the favourite to succeed John Terry for the 3-2 friendly loss at Wembley but was overlooked by caretaker manager Stuart Pearce in favour of Tottenham midfielder Parker.

And there were no hard feelings according to the latter, who told Sky Sports: "Steve was fine. He was the ultra-professional he is.

"He was the first person to come up to me and congratulate me and said he'd support me. That was pleasing.

"You wouldn't expect anything else from such a great player."

Chance

Should the Football Association appoint a permanent successor to Fabio Capello before this summer's European Championship, the new man must decide who he wants to be England captain in Poland and Ukraine.

Asked if he would like to keep the armband, Parker said: "Of course I would.

"I also understand there's a many a player - no-one more than Steven Gerrard and a couple of others - who've obviously been there before and done it.

"It's going to be difficult for me but I would obviously relish the chance to lead the country out again and take it into the Euros.

"Whether that's me or it's not me, I know I'll be fully behind whoever it may be, determined to make England succeed."

Parker added of his first experience as skipper: "It was pretty special, really, a very proud moment for me and something as a kid I dreamed of many a time.

"I could probably speak for every boy and every young lad who has the same ambition.

"I never thought it would happen to me, so absolutely delighted to lead out my country."

The midfielder's first game wearing the armband ultimately ended in a last-gasp defeat after England had looked to have salvaged a 2-2 draw.

Positive

He said: "We're not sitting there thinking that with the way we performed, through maybe just sheer grit and determination and courage, that we're going to go and win a tournament.

"We understand we need to work on things, we need to get technically better. But we all need to be positive and we all need to realise that tonight gives us great hope.

"Coming back from 2-0 down is massive. It was edgy there and we proved that we can do it."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11675/7556787/Parker-gets-Gerrard-backing

stuart-pearce-01.jpg

At first sight he reminds me of a mixture of Daniel Day-Lewis and Ralph Fiennes.

But at the second...

adolfhitler1930.jpg

Is that in regards to Welbeck? I think he's a great prospect, would love us to go for him.

He's kept Berbatoss on the bench for two years :-"

He was average last year at Sunderland and is only doing slightly better this season as he's in a better team, but still nowhere near the level you'd expect.

I rate him quite alot...more so than Sturridge, who has been around alot longer, and done nothing.

I think Welbeck's movement is very good, and he causes defenders to think about where he is all the time...I also really appreciate strikers who chase down keepers, which he does alot.
He is prepared to go out wide to get the ball, and has a good touch. He's inexperienced, but like I said, still preferred by SAF to Berbatov.

I rate him quite alot...more so than Sturridge, who has been around alot longer, and done nothing.

I think Welbeck's movement is very good, and he causes defenders to think about where he is all the time...I also really appreciate strikers who chase down keepers, which he does alot.
He is prepared to go out wide to get the ball, and has a good touch. He's inexperienced, but like I said, still preferred by SAF to Berbatov.

I agree with this, some of his movement with rooney has been superb this season. He needs more work on the finishing but creates a lot of room and works hard. Hate static strikers

couldn't disagree more regarding Sturridge.

quick feet, good hold up play, 10 goals, 6 assists in league play ain't to shabby in some 20 odd games.

especially good considering he's being played out wide when he's got the ability (and would probably prefer) to play more centrally. Drogba being the preferred choice centrally in Chelsea's front 3 doesn't help. IMO if they went more to a 4-3-1-2 with Mata playing just behind Drogba and Sturridge they'd be much more dangerous.

I'm more keen on players who can use both feet and Sturridge fits the bill perfectly. he's scored 3 with his left, 4 with his right, and 3 with his head. he's shown he's got the ability, just needs to keep pushing on

quick feet, good hold up play, 10 goals, 6 assists in league play ain't to shabby in some 20 odd games.

especially good considering he's being played out wide when he's got the ability (and would probably prefer) to play more centrally. Drogba being the preferred choice centrally in Chelsea's front 3 doesn't help. IMO if they went more to a 4-3-1-2 with Mata playing just behind Drogba and Sturridge they'd be much more dangerous.

I'm more keen on players who can use both feet and Sturridge fits the bill perfectly. he's scored 3 with his left, 4 with his right, and 3 with his head. he's shown he's got the ability, just needs to keep pushing on

Sturridge is twice the player little Danny boy is at the moment. He's faster, physically stronger, can actually take on defenders a beat them, strong shot, eye for a goal, technically superior etc. Did much, much better at Bolton for 6 months than Welbeck did at a better Sunderland team for 12.

Welbeck runs around the pitch waiting for a tap on from Rooney to finish off. Nothing player. Would be rated lower than Rodallega, Davies, Holt, and Campbell if he played for a bottom 5 club. Like in fact he should based on ability not hype. Similar to Macheda, Diouf, etc.

Last edited:

Wasnt really a put down to Sturridge, just my review of Welbeck, who, out of the two Id prefer.

I think Welbeck will reach his potential, especially under SAF, where as I think Sturridge wont become any more than we have seen from him....which, imo, is not a top striker. Sturridge has very good aspects to his game, but I think he trumps Welbeck due his experience at this level, more than anything else.

I think the fact he is keeping Berbatov and Hernandez on the bench shows what he can offer to a team, even if his finishing does need improving. He the sort of player who I think could adapt, and become very good under Redknapp, with the players we have here.

Last edited:
Wasnt really a put down to Sturridge, just my review of Welbeck, who, out of the two Id prefer.

I think Welbeck will reach his potential, especially under SAF, where as I think Sturridge wont become any more than we have seen from him....which, imo, is not a top striker. Sturridge has very good aspects to his game, but I think he trumps Welbeck due his experience at this level, more than anything else.

I think the fact he is keeping Berbatov and Hernandez on the bench shows what he can offer to a team, even if his finishing does need improving. He the sort of player who I think could adapt, and become very good under Redknapp, with the players we have here.

Veyr hard to pick between the two. It's worth noting that Sturridge also banged in plenty of goals for Bolton too. I think Sturridge is more skillful than Welbeck, but Welbeck's work rate is excellent. I'd take both of them, but I would take Sturridge just at the moment.

I love how Carlisle tries to give the impression that he is much cleverer than he might be perceived like he is trying to represent footballers or something. Seems like a snob to me.

Back