• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The midweek/weekend games thread

whos fatter?

• grant holt

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • mark viduka

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters
Good thread, lots of different stuff that can go in here rather than filling up the board..

Still dont know why mods got rid of the other thread if im honest but this will do nicely

Good thread, lots of different stuff that can go in here rather than filling up the board..

Still dont know why mods got rid of the other thread if im honest but this will do nicely

I think it's traditional to start a new thread each season. Also there is a Euro 2012 thread and no-doubt will be an Olympic football thread which means there'll be precious little to go in this thread.

Not really explained at all! At least they are more positive though. I dont mind the USA team, has some players I like

Jurgen's been using a 4-2-3-1 formation quite a bit but in the Brazil game went with 3 holding midfielders (Jones, Edu, Bradley). Didn't really agree with it to be honest as it was just too defensive for me. He's been using younger players a bit more than (Bob) Bradley did and like NewYorkSpurs said he does seem to get us passing it on the floor a bit more and seems to like to press a up field.

Our strength right now seems to be in midfield so it makes the most sense to go with 5 in there. At the moment we have quite a few options in the attacking midfield roles (L/C/R) and none seem to be like for like. Brek Shea is a young one to play down the left (big, strong, tricky, head-up wide player*). Dempsey can play either wide left or through the middle behind the striker (different than Shea, more of a goal threat whereas Shea will more often look for a through ball to the striker). Jos?® Torres is another young attacking midfield player who i'd liken to Mata. Not as good mind, but great in possession, and a tricky player who can get others involved. Down the right we usually either go with Donovan or Holden. Both obviously bring different skill sets.

Its getting exciting again to be a USA fan because we're beginning to see glimpses of that passing, 1-touch style thats easy on the eye. Add to that the fact that we're starting to see more young players who have a better technical ability on the ball, its a breath of fresh air really. Jurgen's doing a great job of progressing our game away from the holding, defense-minded, only score on set-pieces mentality that we once had.

The squad I'd like to see us move forward with is:

Forwards: Altidore (22), Boyd (21), Agudelo (19)

ACL: Shea (22), Fabian Johnson (24) - ACM: Dempsey (29), Torres (24) - ACR: Donovan (30), Holden (26)

DM: Edu (26), Bradley (24), Jones (30)

Defence: Chandler (22), Ream (24), Spector (26), Lichaj (23)

Looking at those ages it really highlights some of the excitement we have in our young forward prospects. Altidore isn't the most exciting, but he's definitely got some time to add to his game. Boyd's been tearing it up for Borussia's reserve team (20 goals in 32 apps), and Agudelo is another young one who's shown glimpses of what he may one day be.

The team looks to have a good young spine to it with Ream - Bradley and Edu - and a mix of young options at striker and Jurgen seems to be doing a great job in getting them all to believe in his system.

*by this I mean he's not one to get the ball and barrel head down to the line and send in a cross. He varies his game quite well.

Oscar for Brazil has looked tidy in these Brazil friendlies, perhaps someone we should be looking at as a VDV alternative or someone to play in a central three.

Long cross field ball from RB to LW

Gio takes on the RB, goes outside him towards the byline

Lobs it over everyone and falls inside the back post.

Yes it may have been a cross... but I dream of Lennon doing crosses like this.

Lol everytime he plays for Mexico there's a demand for Gio to get games. Then when he is given a chance to play he is criticised and should never play for Spurs again. Seen this cycle so many times now, can we not just accept he is one of many players that plays better for his national team than does at club level?

Lol everytime he plays for Mexico there's a demand for Gio to get games. Then when he is given a chance to play he is criticised and should never play for Spurs again. Seen this cycle so many times now, can we not just accept he is one of many players that plays better for his national team than does at club level?

my problem is if Harry's such a great man manager why can't he get Gio to play like this for us?

Personally I don't think he's ever gotten much of a chance. Harry would shuffle Modric to the left and move everyone around, when Gio could have just come right in for Lennon and everyone else could have stayed where they were.

I don't think he has had that much of a chance,

harr, in the past 12 months what games has he started for Tottenham.

Personally I don't think he's ever gotten much of a chance. Harry would shuffle Modric to the left and move everyone around, when Gio could have just come right in for Lennon and everyone else could have stayed where they were.

I agree that maybe he should have had a little more game time, but that's easy to say in hindsight as I'm not sure when exactly I would have played him. I'm not convinced he's great back up for Lennon as when he has played he just gets the ball, cuts inside and passes it sideways most of the time and doesn't seem to be that quick. But it sounds like he comes alive when playing for Mexico, so I'm not sure what the answer is but I'm not sure we will see him here next season anyway.....

I don't think he has had that much of a chance,

harr, in the past 12 months what games has he started for Tottenham.

Yeah I know, just Europa League and the odd 5 mins from the bench here and there. Is Mexico's system similar to ours? I don't see him as a right winger with the way we play....

Back