• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The London Taxpayers' Stadium Shambles

They must be thick as they are deluded.

They Smash a coach up on international tele last season and move into a high profile stadium, and cause even more issues under the scope,

EEJITS

no, what j
They must be thick as they are deluded.

They Smash a coach up on international tele last season and move into a high profile stadium, and cause even more issues under the scope,

EEJITS

you do think it would occur to them to sit down and shut up for a couple of games

That's not right! Even West Ham fans on Kumb say that it started with West Ham fans charging towards the away section.
I'm basing it on what someone from other end of the stadium said - Chelsea started it by throwing things and they reacted.
But I'm not stating it as fact.
Either way it's irrelevant, they are all adults and should know better

West Ham's London Stadium should be knocked down and rebuilt to suit football fans, a stadium expert says.

Paul Fletcher, who has built or advised on more than 30 new grounds, says athletics was wrongly put before football at the former Olympic Stadium.

He says fans are too far from the pitch at a ground beset by problems since the Hammers moved there this summer.

"Either we go on as we are for the next 30 or 40 years or we knock it down and start again," Fletcher told the BBC.

"Something has to give. If you want to satisfy spectators the only way to get those spectators near that pitch is to knock it down and start again," added the former Burnley striker turned chief executive.

Something to cheer us up on a Monday night

West Ham's London Stadium should be knocked down and rebuilt to suit football fans, a stadium expert says.

Paul Fletcher, who has built or advised on more than 30 new grounds, says athletics was wrongly put before football at the former Olympic Stadium.

He says fans are too far from the pitch at a ground beset by problems since the Hammers moved there this summer.

"Either we go on as we are for the next 30 or 40 years or we knock it down and start again," Fletcher told the BBC.

"Something has to give. If you want to satisfy spectators the only way to get those spectators near that pitch is to knock it down and start again," added the former Burnley striker turned chief executive.

Knock it down, start again presumably with the tax payer paying for it all again

Sounds a bit like an idea they had from a Mr D. Levy of Haringey. Wonder whatever happened to that chap...

As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong) one of the outcomes of the judical review is that West Ham legally have to keep the running track for the next 100 years.

The idea being; they won the bid because their bid included the plans for the running track and athletics, it would be unfair to us if they were allowed to remove it later.

Please do forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure this is true?!

As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong) one of the outcomes of the judical review is that West Ham legally have to keep the running track for the next 100 years.

The idea being; they won the bid because their bid included the plans for the running track and athletics, it would be unfair to us if they were allowed to remove it later.

Yes, I thought I read that DL had a clause inserted that the track has to remain for at least 99 years

Yes, I thought I read that DL had a clause inserted that the track has to remain for at least 99 years

I'm not sure whether DL had any specific clause inserted. But as 7percent says, when the first round of bidding had to be scrapped after DL pushed for the judicial review, before the process was opened up for a new round of bidding the wording in the bid documentation was changed. It had previously referred to the bid winner having to maintain an Athletics Legacy, but it was quite vague as to what that meant. Hence THFC' bidding to knock down and rebuild the OS as a football stadium whilst funding improvements for athletics at Crystal Palace. The wording was then changed to make clear that the Athletics Legacy had to be inside the stadium. I think thiis was at the behest of the International Olympic Committee (or similar) but maybe THFC did have some influence on having that point 'clarified'. West ham secured the stadium and now have a 99 year lease. Therefore having to maintain the track (legacy inside the stadium) for 99 years.
UK Athletics also have a 50 year lease on the stadium. So any attempt to remove the track before then would be in breach of this contractual commitment.
(Source for the above : Wiki and diminishing-memory).

Things may change in the future. A new, rich owner for WH (though hard to see how/why that would be attractive right now) could offer loads of money to get things changed and some loophole would no doubt be found.
Until then we can just sit back and enjoy the entertainment the whole debacle is providing, albeit not the type of entertainment that might have been envisaged by the powers that be at the outset.

How long before we have a statement like this from our betters?

"We can't live in the past,it's a changing world, just because errors might have been made they were made with the best intentions.....blah, blah, blah. It would be in everyones best interest in we rebuild the stadium and the tax payer will gain more benefits from the improvements"

Back