• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

A season is 38 games, pal, with mistakes from players throughout the season. You can't blame it on two people. What about inept refereeing performances in the Stoke, Wolves, Chelsea game? Bale going missing for about 10 games? Ade's dry spells? The team's overall bad performances for 2 months? Harry's head scratching tactics? Defoe's miss at City? To blame one or two players is insanity.

The league table doesn't lie and if we were better than them we would have finished ahead of them. We didn't.

When were we ever the beneficiary of the kind of luck Arsenal had this season? The amount of disallowed goals that should have stood vs the goals that were offside and counted for them is just one glaring example. They were gifted the win at West Brom in a manner we never were.

I used to believe the table never lies too but after this season I think it's gonad*s. The odd points here and there could have been so different and on another season we would have absolutely strolled into third.

If they lose RVP they are mega-fooked...

Podolski, Gervinho, Chamakh, Walcott hmmmm ok

No superman to win them 40 points like this season

Erm. If we dont sign Ade permanently and defoe gets the move he is wanting cos h has royally tinkled him off, Pav and Crouch have been sold with no replacement, so then we are left with just Saha up front. Thanks Harry.

On paper our team/squad is one 10 points better than them. I don't expect that to change over the summer - they rely on CL money tot stay still whereas we don't.

Off pitch our positions are similarly healthy. We are probably slightly better off, but they have built their ground already so are more sustainable.

Culturally they are much stronger than us (i.e. winning mentality embedded throughout the club).

You are absolutely dreaming. We seriously do under rate their players. For example, we rave about Sandro and Parker. Both are inferior to Alex Song at the moment. Walker was young player of the year and yet isn't a patch on Sagna. Gallas & King (when fit) are our best two centre halves. Neither are as good as Vermaelen (although both were superior in their prime).

Erm. If we dont sign Ade permanently and defoe gets the move he is wanting cos h has royally tinkled him off, Pav and Crouch have been sold with no replacement, so then we are left with just Saha up front. Thanks Harry.

Not really sure we can do anymore to be honest. We are reliant on a budget and a wage structure that is going to make it very difficult to improve our front line.

You are absolutely dreaming. We seriously do under rate their players. For example, we rave about Sandro and Parker. Both are inferior to Alex Song at the moment. Walker was young player of the year and yet isn't a patch on Sagna. Gallas & King (when fit) are our best two centre halves. Neither are as good as Vermaelen (although both were superior in their prime).

:D

When were we ever the beneficiary of the kind of luck Arsenal had this season? The amount of disallowed goals that should have stood vs the goals that were offside and counted for them is just one glaring example. They were gifted the win at West Brom in a manner we never were.

I used to believe the table never lies too but after this season I think it's gonad*s. The odd points here and there could have been so different and on another season we would have absolutely strolled into third.

if you were to speak to Arsenal fans they would tell you of their bad luck this season - not having any fit full backs for the first part of the season - Wheelchair being out all year and no doubt they've had dodgy refereeing decisions too.

Im not saying they've had worse luck and i agree we've had a particularly bad run of bad calls against us this season but i wouldn't assume had we got the correct decisions then we'd be above them (because at the same time they could have had better luck with stuff as well and could have got more points themselves)

id rather look towards next season and see where we are heading (than to curse our luck) compared to them - at this point im reasonably confident we can hold on to our major players as well as adding some good quality to the first team. van Persie could leave Arsenal and Wheelchair will miss some time with injury (as well as them not looking to replace him in the line up) i think the majority of their new signings will be relatively unkown players for the future as aopposed to quality players ready to make an instant impact.

positively thinking should Redknapp remain i think, without the distraction of England then we could possibly play the season out how we did the first half of last season and if we do that then we really have a good chance of coming out on top in the battle with Chelsea and Arsenal

i don't agree at all with the people who say we are the 6th best side in the league on paper and anything more than that will be a miracle - you want your team to do things well and to their best - there's no reason with the right signings/preparation we can't aim for better than where "we should be" saying otherwise is a defeatist attitude from people who are happy to accept the minimum for the team IMO

Last edited:
It's strange because I think we sometimes underrate our first team but also Arsenal's. I genuinely do believe we should've finished above them this season with the team we had, and yes luck does play a part, but equally they're not as poor as we did make out at times.

RVP massively carried them at points, and I would be curious to see what would happen if he left- would someone else step up like he did after the loss of Nasri and Fabregas? I'm not sure. Equally, Song has had a great season, Koscielny has stepped up, Vermaelen is a great cb, and Oxlade-Chamberlain looks to have bags of potential (still don't see the fuss about Walcott mind). They're not a 1 man team in the sense that he's their only good player, but it remains to be seen where the goals will come from when RVP's not there.

If we add wisely this transfer window and hope RVP leaves without much spending to make it up, the only thing really missing is this winning mentality the team needs to work on. I do think our bad patch was overexaggerated (it was a tough run of games coupled with some horrendous luck/refereeing at times) but we need to be able to bounce back from a heavy defeat and not mope about feeling sorry for ourselves as is often the case.

I'm hoping this summer will be a positive one and we start next season looking up- if so, there should be a great chance of us finishing above them.

Not really sure we can do anymore to be honest. We are reliant on a budget and a wage structure that is going to make it very difficult to improve our front line.

absolute nonsense. Saudi Sportswashing Machine, fulham, everton etc etc have all improved their front line on a fraction of the budget we have available.

At the January transfer deadline, compare who they brought in with SAHA ffs.And we let Pav and Piennar go. Unbelievable how blindly loyal to h some people are. MK seems to think harry can do no wrong. And everything bad is someone elses fault.

Its funny,i thought at the time that the Stoke City travasty could come back to haunt us...lets face it the ref that day has cost us champions league,we just did'nt know it at the time.
So a ref has cost us imo,and not our dip in form in feb/march,every team suffers dips in form(even Emirates Marketing Project) or suffers from player howlers(Fulop).
So what i'm trying to say is form is down to us,play better and score more goals than the other team,you win,but a shocking ref you cant beat,you can do nothing about it,so those 3 points lost at Stoke cost us finishing above the Arse and champs league.
Bitter? you betcha.

Saha who is now out of contract and therefore a free agent.

The best striker we actually own at this point in time is either Obika or Kane.

everyone talks about our dodgy run but it wouldn't have mattered if the filth hadn't managed to somehow win 8 out of 9 over the same period and that included at least 4 late winners 2 of them from outside the area and a win at everton with an everton goal ruled out similar to the ade offside one at stoke. ok you keep going until the end of the game but even united at their best never got so many goals in fergie time.

just a few breaks here and there for either side we would have still finished comfortably in front of them.

If they lose RVP they are mega-fooked...

Podolski, Gervinho, Chamakh, Walcott hmmmm ok

No superman to win them 40 points like this season

Podolski will probably score 50 goals next season

Arse have the ability to be jammy cnuts.....better to be lucky than good i guess

Some of the excuses in this thread :ross:

The way some of you go on, its as if we're the only club which ever has any bad luck. Arsenal had an absolutely terrible summer (lost two of their best four players, lost another of the four to a season long injury), went through a ridiculously poor set of results, had about defender available for a month, had their usual knocked out of every cup in February act but then actually pulled themselves together. They also had the second most injuries in the league.

I still can't believe they lost three of the players who had them running so well last season and then still finished above us. Over 38 games, they gathered more points. So they deserved to finish there. Blaming it on a Gomes like performance from Fulop is silly.

Back