• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

I don't like going into them too confident

Me neither. But we have a great chance to beat them next week. They aren't playing well at the moment. I am actually more concerned with the aftermath of the game, whenever we play them for the 2nd time in the season it always seems to be a frigging catalyst for them going on to win 7 or 8 games in a row. That could be curtains for our title challenge. It's a massive game, but it's not going to be a title decider.

Had a rare old time reading the arse-moania game thread earlier. In the lead-up, they were all really bullish, laughing about the fact Marshy Owl was out... then the game started and they went 1- and 2-0 down and it was all Wenger out, sell all the players, x and y are cack, told you so. Consoled themselves with the fact Swansea were 1-0 up as long as they could, then there was another meltdown. All in all, a perfect day.

Last edited:
The meltdown on arsanal-mania is hilarious! Apparently the haven't spent any money whatsoever on midfielders the last decade... I'm heading back to read more. It's fantastic reading! :D

Had a rare old time reading the arse-moania game thread earlier. In the lead-up, they were all really bullish, laughing about the fact Marshy Owl was out... then the game started and they went 1- and 2-0 down and it was all Wenger out, sell all the players, x and y are cack, told you so. Consoled themselves with the fact Swansea were 1-0 up as long as they could, then there was another meltdown. All in all, a perfect day.

To be honest, that sounds pretty much exactly like what happens around here!

They all think we will murder them Saturday, btw, and although we should...

We should...

This is still Spurs. For me, never mind the hyperbole, there's still nothing much in it between the top 4. 33 points still to play for (36 for City), and many a slip 'twixt cup and lip, so eff off if you think otherwise.

Points at Old Trafford since 2006-07

13 Emirates Marketing Project
9 Chelsea
7 Soton WBA
6 Liverpool Spurs Saudi Sportswashing Machine
4 Sunderland Everton
3 Villa B'burn Norwich Swansea
2 Arsenal

I've said it before......

They are terrible when they haven't got the ball. That is their problem.

We match-up well against them. We will find out next week.

The lane is going to be toxic on Saturday.

And we really are brilliant when our opponents have the ball...

Match made in heaven (for us)?

Hmm, not too sure about that. Arsenal are a 'moody' team for sure; but the sight of us ahead of them in the table going into a NLD means they will be well up for the game and will almost certainly put in a big effort off the ball. Whether the other elements of their game come together better than ours remains to be seen, but make no mistake if hey are terrible atm without the ball, they will be better than that on he day...

..though i am sort of happy that Man U doidn't give them a pasting (by scoreline) as they'll be much more likely to continue as they are (in terms of tactical approach etc).

If they'd lost by 2 or more goals, the shock would have meant they would have REALLY gone back to the drawing board..

Hmm, not too sure about that. Arsenal are a 'moody' team for sure; but the sight of us ahead of them in the table going into a NLD means they will be well up for the game and will almost certainly put in a big effort off the ball. Whether the other elements of their game come together better than ours remains to be seen, but make no mistake if hey are terrible atm without the ball, they will be better than that on he day...

I agree. Should have added the winking smiley.

Feels strange going into a game against them in this kind of situation. Almost looking for reasons for them to be better than us to try to normalize everything. But I can guarantee they're not looking for reasons to make us look better than we currently are :)

IMO Wenger thinks that Coquelin is all that is needed to fulfil what he considers a defensive plan (and when he is not fit, im not sure what the plan is).

The difference with us is the whole team is thinking defence when we haven't got the ball, maybe with differing roles but all basically looking to stop, shut off or retrieve the ball. I look at Arsenal and often when possession is lost there are players that not only don't respond or make an effort, its almost as if it's not their problem.

They can be up for it yes, but they lack some b*llocks.

And lets not forget when we played them at the emirates, there were large parts of that game where it was men against boys. And we are much better than that now.

ironically, having wimmer back there rather than Vert's might actually be better if they go down the aerial bombardment route again

he's obviously a man from another time but we wouldn't have had any bother repelling them had we had Michael Dawson on the pitch that day, it would have been like a training session for him

IMO Wenger thinks that Coquelin is all that is needed to fulfil what he considers a defensive plan (and when he is not fit, im not sure what the plan is).

The difference with us is the whole team is thinking defence when we haven't got the ball, maybe with differing roles but all basically looking to stop, shut off or retrieve the ball. I look at Arsenal and often when possession is lost there are players that not only don't respond or make an effort, its almost as if it's not their problem.

They can be up for it yes, but they lack some b*llocks.

And lets not forget when we played them at the emirates, there were large parts of that game where it was men against boys. And we are much better than that now.

I wonder if Wenger's patience with Coquelin is coming to an end...

3-1 goal from Herrera yesterday Coquelin was sucked into the area leaving Herrera in about an acre of space when there really weren't that many United players to pick up in the area. Could see Wenger pointing fingers and looking angry-ish right after, looked like he was making that point. Coquelin was swiftly removed and Elneny was brought on...

Seemed like a strange sub anyway. They didn't have a lot of attacking options on the bench, but replacing your DM for a DM short on match fitness when you're looking to chase the game with 15-20 minutes left seems weird to me.

ironically, having wimmer back there rather than Vert's might actually be better if they go down the aerial bombardment route again

he's obviously a man from another time but we wouldn't have had any bother repelling them had we had Michael Dawson on the pitch that day, it would have been like a training session for him

Then again. Without the quality of Verts and Toby in other areas of defending they might have found other avenues of attack.

Wimmer does look stronger than Verts, but Verts deals with bigger players really well. Makes smart decisions on when to challenge and when not too, how much of a shirt pull he can get away with, when to back into a duel and ignore the ball. Dawson would win more headers, but he would also outright lose more headers as he flat out challenged for more headers. Hopefully Wimmer will be smart and not just big and strong on Saturday...

From a gooner at work (I love reading their thoughts at times like this)

Watched the bulk of the United game, and if we play with the abject disinterest we did on Sunday against Swansea on Thursday then we're screwed before we even get to the NLD.

Never said it before, but not sure Wenger can go on if we completely drop our bundle this season.

Looks like they're all giving up on their own team and have started supporting Leicester instead.

Back