• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

Actually worried about Arsenal next year. They say they are going to spend big in the summer. They are pretty much out of debt now as the stadium is paid off. They are going to be good next year, think they will spend it now they have got it.

They had the cash reserves to spend last summer if they wanted.

Also, why would you announce that you are going to 'spend big' if that is what you are doing? It makes no logical sense bar appeasing fans, all you are doing is saying 'We have lots of money, charge us more!'.

They had the cash reserves to spend last summer if they wanted.

Also, why would you announce that you are going to 'spend big' if that is what you are doing? It makes no logical sense bar appeasing fans, all you are doing is saying 'We have lots of money, charge us more!'.

Gazidis has been doing lots of interviews in the last day or two... possibly to cooincide with season ticket renewal time... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...cle-will-rival-that-of-Manchester-United.html

Also has a pop at us for having no new stadium, and falling further behind...

Do it every year. Announce that they have money to spend, then fail to spend it. They have had a lot of money to spend the last few seasons, Wenger does not want to be that sort of club. As much as I don't like the guy, I have to admire his determination to follow his philosophy

That said he is a gooner c**t

What do you think of the Rooney to Arsenal rumours?

My own opinion is that Rooney's form has rather inconsistent these last two years and I wouldn't mind this transfer. It will suck up a lot of their budget too. Add in Fellani who I also think might struggle at a more fluid team like Arsenal and that might be their lot. I wouldn't call those two bad transfers by any means but I think if we get the right players in, plus the injured and loanees back, then our improvement as a squad overall would be greater.

Edit: Should this post be in the transfers sub-forum? Ha I don't care. I'm mad.

Can't see Rooney going to Arsenal personally. He wanted to leave Man United a few years ago because he questioned their ambition. Not like Arsenal are pushing for anything higher than us at the moment. If he goes anywhere, it will not be to Arsenal

Last edited:
Can't see Rooney going to Arsenal personally. He wanted to leave Man United a few years ago because he questioned their ambition. Not like Arsenal are pushing for anything higher than us at the moment. If he goes anywhere, it will not be to Arsenal

I have a feeling money played a factor in that whole mess too. Add to that Moyes once sued Rooney then his exit might not seem that implausible.

Do it every year. Announce that they have money to spend, then fail to spend it. They have had a lot of money to spend the last few seasons, Wenger does not want to be that sort of club. As much as I don't like the guy, I have to admire his determination to follow his philosophy

That said he is a gooner c**t

The only reason this season might be different is that the crap commercial deals they agreed when moving to the Emirates have all expires or been renegotiated. So they should have a lot more cash, whether or not they spend it is another matter.

I have a feeling money played a factor in that whole mess too. Add to that Moyes once sued Rooney then his exit might not seem that implausible.

I heard Kevin Kilbane on the guardian podcast a few weeks back saying they had put it all in the past. Also if money was a major motive, don't Arsenal have a wage structure in place?

I think Arsenal's money is one example as to why Levy is thinking about pulling the plug on our current design for a new stadium, I like it a lot but I think one of the main fears from the current design is that it just won't generate as much, let alone more, revenues as the Emirates does.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22802685

Arsenal signed a new £150m shirt-sponsorship deal with Emirates airline in November, while they have also brought in almost £75m from the recent sales of Samir Nasri, Cesc Fabregas and Robin van Persie.

"We have a certain amount of money which we have held in reserve," Gazidis said.

"We also have new revenue streams coming on board and all of these things mean we can do some things which would excite you, but what excites Arsene isn't necessarily what excites you.

"This year we are beginning to see something we have been planning for some time - the escalation in our financial firepower.

"That is going to happen partly into next season, it is part way available now in the summer, but the following season as well.

"It is a progression over the next two seasons and is quite significant for the club."

I think Arsenal's money is one example as to why Levy is thinking about pulling the plug on our current design for a new stadium, I like it a lot but I think one of the main fears from the current design is that it just won't generate as much, let alone more, revenues as the Emirates does.

Same idea though isnt it. A three tier bowl with corporate middle tier.

Where's the evidence the design will be changed?

I heard Kevin Kilbane on the guardian podcast a few weeks back saying they had put it all in the past. Also if money was a major motive, don't Arsenal have a wage structure in place?

I meant that money was a factor for him agitating for a move a few years back, not these recent rumours.

You are right though, Rooney to Arsenal doesn't really stack up.

Same idea though isnt it. A three tier bowl with corporate middle tier.

Where's the evidence the design will be changed?

A poster on Skyscrapercity emailed the chairman of KSS Design, here is what he posted.

Sent David Keirle an email in regards to the rumour about KSS not being involved with the stadium part, and his reply was this:
No not a runout THFC have engaged Populous to look at other options. Such is life! Fat lady isn't singing yet but ....

The rumour RMB2007 is talking about came from COYS, someone who is seen to be very reliable source said that nothing would happen for months regarding the stadium and that KSS Design has been ditched and were now plan B.

On another note, I did a few estimates regarding the difference in revenues between our current design and the Emirates, looked at Arsenal's current prices in areas such as club level, boxes and season tickets.

Over all they would, if my guesstimates were true, be receiving £10m more per season than we would. Either way 1500 club level seats, 20 boxes and 2500 STs less than the Emirates doesn't sound like we could be competing with them on a financial level to me.

Last edited:
Fair enough. In terms of gross revenue Arsenal are now up there with Man Utd and Real, so I wouldn't expect that we'd be at that level. The important thing for us is bridging the gap to those clubs as much as possible.

I've been lurking on this site for quite some time and have only just created an account to weigh in on what's currently being said about Arsenal.

Firstly, I was gutted on with what transpired last season. I felt we were a lot stronger as a unit in comparison to the team under Redknapp. We had a lot more strength in depth even though we lost Modric. I can only credit the club for bringing in top signings like Lloris and Vertonghen. It's just a shame that we couldn't pull off what would've been a brilliant season. To think we had a completely new manager and massive change in the squad's personnel and we only missed 4th by one point as well as reaching the quarter finals of the Europa.

Having got that off my chest, I feel Arsenal are really going to kick on in the coming season. I know quite a few goons who have friends in high places and they seem pretty confident about what'll happen this summer. These are the same people who were pretty negative throughout the whole of last summer and we all know how poor it ended for them. I just can't see Wenger (who I admit I do admire as a manager) resting on his laurels when he has a decent opportunity to have a crack at the title. I personally don't see them winning it at all but the goons are confident that that is his frame of mind.

My problem is, if they do push on, how will we respond? I hope the board and Levy don't have a similar attitude to some on this thread and just hoping that Arsenal don't strengthen. We need to be proactive this summer even moreso than the last. I really hope Bale stays but if he's destined to leave, Levy needs to get it sorted a lot sooner than we did with Modric. We were never able to get in a proper replacement for him (Moutinho) and that may have cost us that CL spot.

I just don't want us going into the window relaxed expecting Arsenal to **** it up. I'd rather we make sure we have a game plan ready and execute it perfectly. I know it's only the beginning of June but I'm genuinely worried about our chances of top 4 next season. Maybe this would be the best time to push on with stadium project to bridge that gap financially?

Having got that off my chest, I feel Arsenal are really going to kick on in the coming season. I know quite a few goons who have friends in high places and they seem pretty confident about what'll happen this summer.

Can't blame them. The way Arsenal finished the season showed they are capable to fight for league title next season. But it depends on if they keep their current team together.

Can't blame them. The way Arsenal finished the season showed they are capable to fight for league title next season. But it depends on if they keep their current team together.

do you, or does someone else, have a link to a website which shows the premier league table from a certain point of your choosing?

ie - February onward, last 10 games - etc?

Back