• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread

Yes all bought in, but according to their deluded fans at the time all brought through the ranks and made into great players by wenger. They even slam us for spending money and Chelsea/ city for buying big.

Now they are the ones who want to buy big and seem to suggest that it's time for wenger "to start buying players." He has always bought players and needed to from the current evidence as he cannot get the best out of this mediocre bunch!

I've never seen them slam us for spending money we've made.. Just as i can't slam them for spending money they have made..

Completely different to City and Chelsea who spent a lot of a money that they hadn't made.

A lot of our fans want us to 'buy big', but i doubt they want us to spend beyond our means.

"I believe I have a strong team," Wenger said ahead of Monday's trip to the Madejski Stadium to take on Reading.

"If you look at our season at the moment, we have not produced our performances at home, our results away are in the same bracket as the two top teams.

"Manchester United are top of the league. They have lost three games, we have lost four. We had more draws, especially at home, that is where we have lost the points."

pointstableaway17.png

I think Arsenal are an inferior team this season without Van Persie, and they are there for the taking. BUT whether we can find the necessary skill and mentality to finally edge across the line in front of them, hard to say.

I think last season's 5-2 was more of a humiliation for us than this season's result.

We've bounced back convincingly since then, and I think our team is now better than the one last season that imploded after that 5-2.

We have such a great chance this season, and Arsenal won't win the CL will they, no they can't do that to us, that would be too cruel, wouldn't it ...

I think Arsenal are an inferior team this season without Van Persie, and they are there for the taking. BUT whether we can find the necessary skill and mentality to finally edge across the line in front of them, hard to say.

I think last season's 5-2 was more of a humiliation for us than this season's result.

We've bounced back convincingly since then, and I think our team is now better than the one last season that imploded after that 5-2.

We have such a great chance this season, and Arsenal won't win the CL will they, no they can't do that to us, that would be too cruel, wouldn't it ...

I wouldn't worry about it. We'll finish 2nd in the PL this year.

I wouldn't worry about it. We'll finish 2nd in the PL this year.
Like the optimism, I'll take 3rd now and be happy with that.Let Chelsea sweat on Arsenal :)

Seriously though I'm not that worried about Arsenal winning the CL, I don't think they're good enough, simple as. IF we finish above them I think we'll have CL football back at the Lane. Everton will run us close, but I think we have the edge on them.

Last edited:

The Scum have been on the downward slope for almost the same period we have been on the up (last 6-7 years)
Last season took the season of his life from RVP (their last WC player) and some very dodgy keeping on the last day for them to edge us by one point. This despite a much higher wage bill, 15 years of CL experience and a manager and system in place for the same 15 year period.

We have a good chance to finish above them, but it's actually not important, fact is
- We are looking ahead of us
- They are looking over their shoulder (They are not even trying to compete with Cheat$ki/Manchester clubs)

Like the optimism, I'll take 3rd now and be happy with that.Let Chelsea sweat on Arsenal :)

Seriously though I'm not that worried about Arsenal winning the CL, I don't think they're good enough, simple as. IF we finish above them I think we'll have CL football back at the Lane. Everton will run us close, but I think we have the edge on them.

For me it will come down to the January transfer window. If we strengthen wisely then that coupled with our players returning from injury should set us up nicely for the run in. If Levy goes a bit crazy and shoots his full load all over the window (he he) then maybe 2nd isn't so far fetched.

I've seen this film before. Arsenal are a poor side, struggling in the league, knocked out of a cup. I'm enjoying their slide at the moment, but the season is 38 games, not 17. You can bet your life someone from our club, either a player or coach will come out in the media in the week of the next North London Derby and proclaim Spurs are a better side. By all means be confident, but why don't we actually finish above them, then our players can give it big uns.

The Scum have been on the downward slope for almost the same period we have been on the up (last 6-7 years)
Last season took the season of his life from RVP (their last WC player) and some very dodgy keeping on the last day for them to edge us by one point. This despite a much higher wage bill, 15 years of CL experience and a manager and system in place for the same 15 year period.

We have a good chance to finish above them, but it's actually not important, fact is
- We are looking ahead of us
- They are looking over their shoulder (They are not even trying to compete with Cheat$ki/Manchester clubs)

Hi Raziel, good points but I think us finishing above them is very important, it's a huge psychological barrier we have to cross to get there.

For me it will come down to the January transfer window. If we strengthen wisely then that coupled with our players returning from injury should set us up nicely for the run in. If Levy goes a bit crazy and shoots his full load all over the window (he he) then maybe 2nd isn't so far fetched.

Fair comments, but regardless of our transfer spend I don't think we'll make top 2. We could just edge 3rd if we get a bit of luck. I'm not so sure what players we actually need ATM, that are realistically available to us.

Moutinho, fair enough, if that's who AVB thinks is the key to our progression. Another striker maybe, but who? Another LB who can play somewhere else as well, perhaps.

Hi Raziel, good points but I think us finishing above them is very important, it's a huge psychological barrier we have to cross to get there.

True, I think it's the next level for us.

For years we couldn't win a game against any of the top 4 sides, we have corrected that.

We have now finished above Pool (several times) and Chealsea, Scum is next :)

Fair comments, but regardless of our transfer spend I don't think we'll make top 2. We could just edge 3rd if we get a bit of luck. I'm not so sure what players we actually need ATM, that are realistically available to us.

Moutinho, fair enough, if that's who AVB thinks is the key to our progression. Another striker maybe, but who? Another LB who can play somewhere else as well, perhaps.

To be honest I'd be delighted with 4th. No harm indulging a bit of blind optimism every now and then ;)

I still think the transfer window is key though.

If we get CL qualification (won't say top 4 after what happened last season) AND finish above the scum, it will top anything Harry achieved at Spurs in my opinion. Don't see a great deal between the two teams, it's just they have a stronger mentality until proven otherwise.

"I believe I have a strong team," Wenger said ahead of Monday's trip to the Madejski Stadium to take on Reading.

"If you look at our season at the moment, we have not produced our performances at home, our results away are in the same bracket as the two top teams.

"Manchester United are top of the league. They have lost three games, we have lost four. We had more draws, especially at home, that is where we have lost the points."

pointstableaway17.png

Im the sure the helmet just makes brick up these days

can't really see Guadiola replicating what he has done at Barca elsewhere, whoever takes him on expecting him to turn them in to Barca mkII will probably be in for a bit of a surprise

Haha as if Guardiola is going to go to Arsenal

I don't think it's so implausible.

I think Guardiola would appreciate a club like Arsenal more than a club like Chelsea or Emirates Marketing Project. It is a club that has tried, for the past 15 years at least, to play pass and move football.

They're not far off having paid for all their stadium debt and they still have a bit more incoming from their property developments. So they'll be able to make a big splash in the transfer market while also paying big wages.

They have a pretty decent youth system.

Lastly, it's a club that has proved that it can be patient with and loyal to its managers.

Nope.........sadly, I don't think that the idea of Guardiola going to Arsenal is too fanciful at all.

If we get CL qualification (won't say top 4 after what happened last season) AND finish above the scum, it will top anything Harry achieved at Spurs in my opinion. Don't see a great deal between the two teams, it's just they have a stronger mentality until proven otherwise.
Fair comments and I agree. IF we finish above them, then we can start talking/laughing/whatever floats people's boats. If we do that and get CL, it'll probably mean we've watched our best team since 87 - get a trophy as well, and then you probably need to go back to 82.

Back