• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Goon Thread - Officially Second In A One Horse Race

I'm no fan of Erdogan (or Ozel for that matter) but comparing him in any way shape or form to Hitler is just plain ignorant. Blair or Bush are at least partially responsible for X amount dead and are a big part of the reason the world is in the mess it is in today. Yet no one would say much if a footballer took a picture with them.

But they had GHod on their side as they kept telling us.

Reactions: DTA
I'm no fan of Erdogan (or Ozel for that matter) but comparing him in any way shape or form to Hitler is just plain ignorant. Blair or Bush are at least partially responsible for X amount dead and are a big part of the reason the world is in the mess it is in today. Yet no one would say much if a footballer took a picture with them.

i agree that erdogan is no hitler (at least yet anyways), but he has shown fascist tendencies and has taken thousands of political prisoners. no matter what we think of blair/bush/trumpo/may etc none of these guys have come close to showing the level of oppression that erdogan has lately. erdogan's authoritarian/dictatorial rule is completely opposite to the liberal western values we treasure so much (and fought so hard for at the expense of tens of millions of lives during the middle of the century), and so ozil deserves all the criticism that he is receiving for that photo.

theres sports stars like enes kanter (NBA), who have sacrificed so much in the fight against erdogan's fascism, but when ozil takes that photo, he is spitting at the efforts and sacrifices of guys like kanter, and many millions of turks too.

the feeling that i am getting on this topic is that:

- not enough people are aware of the politics surrounding erdogan, and have not grasped how insulting it was for ozil to take that photo and show no remorse for it since.
- those supporting ozil (outside of turkey) are doing so on the grounds of racism (and rightly so). but have not realised that a lot of the recent backlash against ozil is not racism, but to do with ozil's apparent support of erdogan.

i agree that erdogan is no hitler (at least yet anyways), but he has shown fascist tendencies and has taken thousands of political prisoners. no matter what we think of blair/bush/trumpo/may etc none of these guys have come close to showing the level of oppression that erdogan has lately. erdogan's authoritarian/dictatorial rule is completely opposite to the liberal western values we treasure so much (and fought so hard for at the expense of tens of millions of lives during the middle of the century), and so ozil deserves all the criticism that he is receiving for that photo.

theres sports stars like enes kanter (NBA), who have sacrificed so much in the fight against erdogan's fascism, but when ozil takes that photo, he is spitting at the efforts and sacrifices of guys like kanter, and many millions of turks too.

Ok this is may sound like I am defending Erdogan which is a position I never thought I would find myself in as (like I said already) I'm not a fan.

But you can't even mention him in the same sentence as Hitler dude. Putin maybe (although he is not as bad) trump is probably a more accurate comparison except he has less global power and is much more intelligent. He is also not really a racist like trump is. Trump puts refugee kids in cages where as Erdogan has let in 5 million refugees..... 5 million... That's astounding. And should be commended. He has also rebalanced (to an extent) the economy and invested in areas which were previously ignored raising a lot of people out of poverty.
He has also done quite a bit for the previously oppressed, introduced Kurdish language media, invested in Kirdish areas, overturned the headscarf ban in universities and public institutions.

A lot of what you say that he has done is also correct and very very worrying (that's why I'm not a fan), but like everything else, you can't talk about him from a 'single story' perspective as that does not present an accurate picture

Ok this is may sound like I am defending Erdogan which is a position I never thought I would find myself in as (like I said already) I'm not a fan.

But you can't even mention him in the same sentence as Hitler dude. Putin maybe (although he is not as bad) trump is probably a more accurate comparison except he has less global power and is much more intelligent. He is also not really a racist like trump is. Trump puts refugee kids in cages where as Erdogan has let in 5 million refugees..... 5 million... That's astounding. And should be commended. He has also rebalanced (to an extent) the economy and invested in areas which were previously ignored raising a lot of people out of poverty.
He has also done quite a bit for the previously oppressed, introduced Kurdish language media, invested in Kirdish areas, overturned the headscarf ban in universities and public institutions.

A lot of what you say that he has done is also correct and very very worrying (that's why I'm not a fan), but like everything else, you can't talk about him from a 'single story' perspective as that does not present an accurate picture

erdogan has put many multiple more kids in cages with no recourse. trump has at least changed policy on this front (something that the previous presidency didnt do). im not comparing hitler to erdogan in terms of the level of atrocities committed, but more in the fact that they are both fascist, authoritarian dictators. As im sure you will agree, this is the case.

Also just because you do some good (and the examples you have mentioned are highly debatable in terms of whether they are actually positive), it doesnt make all the bad suddenly go away. This is a guy willing to do anything in order to gain power and impose his backward political/social views on others.

in this sense, he is far more like hitler than trump imo. erdogan just doesnt have the ability and backing to do much more atm.

erdogan has put many multiple more kids in cages with no recourse. trump has at least changed policy on this front (something that the previous presidency didnt do). im not comparing hitler to erdogan in terms of the level of atrocities committed, but more in the fact that they are both fascist, authoritarian dictators. As im sure you will agree, this is the case.

Also just because you do some good (and the examples you have mentioned are highly debatable in terms of whether they are actually positive), it doesnt make all the bad suddenly go away. This is a guy willing to do anything in order to gain power and impose his backward political/social views on others.

in this sense, he is far more like hitler than trump imo. erdogan just doesnt have the ability and backing to do much more atm.

Have you got a link to him putting refugee kids in cages. Because I haven't seen anything like that at all. Also would be interested to see in more detail why you think what I have said is highly debatable. Like I said not a fan of his and the things you have already brought up, I almost wholly agree with.

How on earth can someone like that get enough money to travel abroad to watch a friendly game?

They get it all paid for by Robbie don’t they, he’s coining it in from YouTube advertising.

That’s why he has the idiots he does, he’s probably making most of his money from laughing Spurs fans.

Back