• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The General Transfer Rumours and Speculation Thread

You don't see the disparity... Do you have eyes???

Dembele has been borderline world class this season. Look at the stats when he hasn't played and that's A big reason why we ain't winning the league as he is vital to us and the way we play !! I like Mason but a fit Demebele to do a fair comparison is light years ahead of Mason. Do the comparison on games played when both were actually fit and available and you will see

GB is a Mason fan boy, he thinks he is the best thing since sliced bread.

Parachuting in 5 big-wage chequebook signings would complete destroy the team spirit that our success has been built on and create totally unnecessary disruption and instability (especially when City, Chelsea and United are likely going to inflict that chaos on themselves again).

Making second rate chequebook signings is the bad-old Tottenham approach that hampered us so badly for 25 years.

It's still churning 1/5 of the squad. That's more than enough to tip the balance, especially if it's homegrowners like Bentalab, Pritchard, 2CV, Onomah and Winks who are cast aside to make room for them.

I just get frustrated with all the FM boys wanting 5 random players who are good on their computer game, and happy to cast aside the far better players who we already have. And the impatience of writing off Njie and Son, but then wanting to bring in other randomers from weaker leagues who will then not be afforded time to get up to the pace and physicality of the league.

It's one thing to play human resources on speed when you are doing badly, but for the first time in 25 years we've abandoned that approach and are suddenly doing well again.

It's just like they haven't learnt anything, or understood why Poch is succeeding where his 15 predecessors failed.

You make me laugh. Do you realize those statements regarding my post is actually fabrication on your behalf? I will leave it at that.

GB is a Mason fan boy, he thinks he is the best thing since sliced bread.

I'm a Mason fan but I can see how much better some other players are

When we were linked with James McCarthy I was not impressed as for me he is not as good as Mason....

But comparing Mason to Dembele is the reverse

Dembele only came into the team at the end of October when Dier's suspension combined with Mason's injury. For the previous 15 months Poch simply hadn't trusted him, because of his poor transitioning.

Yes Poch has coached Dembele to perform at a much higher level that he has ever done before. But for all of Poch's time in charge before that Liverpool game, Mason was ahead of Dembele in the pecking order.

I accept now that Dembele is ahead. But Mason is 5 years younger and has been hampered by injuries all season (Roy has told us about the ankle injections and delaying of an operation). I think back fit again next season Mason is certainly capable of edging ahead again. While he doesn't have Dembele's strength, he's much more creative and more energetic, so there's pros and cons of both.

Dembele only came into the team at the end of October when Dier's suspension combined with Mason's injury. For the previous 15 months Poch simply hadn't trusted him, because of his poor transitioning.

Yes Poch has coached Dembele to perform at a much higher level that he has ever done before. But for all of Poch's time in charge before that Liverpool game, Mason was ahead of Dembele in the pecking order.

I accept now that Dembele is ahead. But Mason is 5 years younger and has been hampered by injuries all season (Roy has told us about the ankle injections and delaying of an operation). I think back fit again next season Mason is certainly capable of edging ahead again. While he doesn't have Dembele's strength, he's much more creative and more energetic, so there's pros and cons of both.

Whilst I agree that Mason last season was the better option for the reasons you describe, it seems highly unlikely to me that barring a drop in form or injury he'll overtake Dembele next season. Dembele has been massive for a large part of the season and far exceeded anything Mason provided on the pitch last season. Ask yourself why we have conceded fewer goals this season, part of the reason is that Dier and Dembele offer far better protection to the back four than Mason and Bentaleb, whilst not impacting our potency going forward. Mason is exactly where he should be, on the bench providing backup and that's likely to be where he stays next season.

I find it hard to see what you see in him GB, he's a decent player that gives his all for Spurs but we have better options and will likely add to those this Summer.

Whilst I agree that Mason last season was the better option for the reasons you describe, it seems highly unlikely to me that barring a drop in form or injury he'll overtake Dembele next season. Dembele has been massive for a large part of the season and far exceeded anything Mason provided on the pitch last season. Ask yourself why we have conceded fewer goals this season, part of the reason is that Dier and Dembele offer far better protection to the back four than Mason and Bentaleb, whilst not impacting our potency going forward. Mason is exactly where he should be, on the bench providing backup and that's likely to be where he stays next season.

I find it hard to see what you see in him GB, he's a decent player that gives his all for Spurs but we have better options and will likely add to those this Summer.

Agree with your post and especially the bolded bit, IF Poch brings in the CM upgrades this summer I would think Mason will be sold.

Last season we had Fazio at CB, Chiriches at RB and AMs who hadn't sussed pressing. You can't really compare CMs like-for-like with those such different circumstances.

Personally I think Mason has it all. He's certainly the most creative player at the club (probably edging Lamela). He's always looking for the ball and moves it on quickly. From his time as a #10 he can play in the tight spaces around the box and he's a good goalscorer too (we've not seen that much of it at senior level yet, but remember he's the record goalscorer in the history of the academy). And then defensively he's got the engine and tenacity to match anyone at the club. I think he's the perfect allround double-pivot CM.

Last season we had Fazio at CB, Chiriches at RB and AMs who hadn't sussed pressing. You can't really compare CMs like-for-like with those such different circumstances.

Personally I think Mason has it all. He's certainly the most creative player at the club (probably edging Lamela). He's always looking for the ball and moves it on quickly. From his time as a #10 he can play in the tight spaces around the box and he's a good goalscorer too (we've not seen that much of it at senior level yet, but remember he's the record goalscorer in the history of the academy). And then defensively he's got the engine and tenacity to match anyone at the club. I think he's the perfect allround double-pivot CM.

I take it you are still his agent GB ;)

ITK or posting speculation as fact to fit your argument?

ITK or posting speculation as fact to fit your argument?

Within his first few months Poch dropped all the poor transitioning CMs - Capoue, Paulinho and Dembele, and promoted 2 quick transitioning academy players ahead of them (Bentaleb and Mason). That was the turning point for this whole side - the first green shoots of Pochball.

For the next 12 months Poch used Dembele incredibly sparingly as a last resort, and only then at AM, rather than CM. His whole style of play was contrary to Poch's philosophy. Only after a year of clearly quite intense coaching did Poch decide Dembele was ready to be used at CM again

Mason is average at best. He is not a top quality CM and he is not a bad player, he would be a decent regular for a team like Everton, Southampton or Stoke.

Mason is average at best. He is not a top quality CM and he is not a bad player, he would be a decent regular for a team like Everton, Southampton or Stoke.

I agree with the first part. I disagree with the teams you mention, i would say he would be a squad player at those sides at best.

I think Mason will be an important player for Poch next year should we get CL. His forward transitioning plus ability to get stuck in will be very important. He has been eclipsed by the emergence of Alli this season (not to mention injuries) but next to players like Dier who can take on the more defensive responsibilities Mason will thrive imo.
A great option to have, and i suspect Poch will feel that too

Whilst I agree that Mason last season was the better option for the reasons you describe, it seems highly unlikely to me that barring a drop in form or injury he'll overtake Dembele next season.

I would suggest that it does not matter as to whether or not he is as good as Dembele, who is a rather special beast of a player, but rather that Mason improves from this season. And considering how big the improvement was of Dembele this season in comparison to last why do some people think Mason too cannot take his game up a notch or two. Hands up any of you who expected Dembele to be this good this season following last season?

I must say I am amused as to how some people are also so eager to write of Bentaleb, Son and N'Jie based on this serason's form

When I think of that goal he scored away to Sunderland earlier in the season it makes me believe Mason will benefit our team even if he is not always in the starting 11

Back