• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The General Transfer Rumours and Speculation Thread

Still can't see us paying £40m for a benchwarmer, especially when Dembele will be virtually free

A) Likely to be much closer to 30 million (the article mentions that, I think - similar to what we paid for Soldado).

B) Poch has hardly proved averse to playing multiple forwards in the past.

C) If you absolutely must exaggerate the cost of a signing and simultaneously question the value of the move, much more ludicrous numbers like 85 million for Batahuayi, Berahino and Wanyama is just much more entertaining from an observer's perspective. :)

What is the point of pushing for CL football if we don't use it to boost our profile and perhaps secure a signing of two that would otherwise be impossible for us to secure? We could likely get Dembele if we were seventeenth in the league with a -40 goal difference, it wouldn't matter to him (or players of his profile): we'd still be a step up from Championship/League One/League Two footie. But we wouldn't have a chance of acquiring players with Batshuayi's potential in that scenario, whereas CL football does offer us that chance, and it wouldn't be wise to spurn it.

I personally don't care if Poch is happy with free transfers and bargain buys, as long as Levy backs him without hesitation when he does ask for big-money purchases. Thankfully, last summer was a significant step forward in that regard, with big money moves for Toby and Son being made with little fuss, and a flurry of last minute bids for Berahino that would have sent us into the red, net spending wise, should we have pulled it off.

But the thing about that approach is, it's clear that Poch isn't some fanatic who wants to only stick to budget purchases and low-cost youngsters - he has and will occasionally ask for big money buys. He's done it at Southampton (Osvaldo, Wanyama), and he's done it here (Toby, Son, Berahino). He'll probably do so again this summer. I want Levy to continue backing him to the hilt on this, and spending big money on Batahuayi, Umtiti, Lacazette et al if the situation demands it. Hell, I'd even advocate offering these types of players to Poch as an initiative from Levy himself, to maximise the chances of making maximum use of our upcoming CL campaign (a la VDV back in 2010).

And if, after all that Poch decides free transfer Dembele is better than Batahuayi and Lacazette to fill our needs, fair enough. But I certainly wouldn't stick on Dembele's free price tag as a reason to prefer him to other signings. Not with CL football.

@Gutter Boy - You really need to separate your own feelings from that of reality. I don't know where you get these figures from, but when people repeatedly call you out on it, you just ignore and then restate those figures! I get it, you don't want these players. You think Poch is only ever going to sign young, mealleable players. But we all know that is not true.

Ball's got about 1/10th of the talent and potential that Bentaleb does

Possibly, we don't actually know yet though do we? He needs a chance and as you seem to be in favour of allowing youth their chance then why not? according to you 80% of all transfers fail. No sure how you qualify and quantify that statement but there you go.

Bentaleb might well be talented but it would appear he isn't quite in sync with what's required on a personal level......I think you have mentioned the no smoke without fire adage in other examples so I will use it here. If that's the case, best rid I would suggest and for a silly fee that someone is bound to pay because as it stand he doesn't get anywhere near dislodging Dembele/Dier on the regular basis he is likely to demand.

£40m for Batahuayi has been quoted in the press all week.

It's very much a seller's market at the moment. In demand players only move for the price the selling club wants.

He's currently Marsailles' only forward. They basically need eye watering money for him to rebuild their entire squad. They want their equivalent of a Bale sale. Why on earth would they let him come to us cheap?

Still can't see us paying £40m for a benchwarmer, especially when Dembele will be virtually free

You'd have to assume we'd only pursue MB if Poch felt confident that he could lead the line on his our OR play alongside Kane — either with Kane dropping back to a #10 or with MB coming in from out wide. I don't know enough about MB to say that he definitely could, but you'd imagine that would be a pre-requisite for any expensive striker purchase.

While Dembele is only 19 and really promising (15 goals and 6 assists in the Championship this season), I don't think that he and MB are equivalent prospects. MB has scored 20 goals for an absolutely miserable Marsielle side that is in danger of going down, and we'd give him a chance to be in a settled, happy camp that will be playing Champions League football next season. You'd imagine that our Belgian contingent will help him settle as well.

More than anything, he gives us the opportunity to stop pushing our most valuable player, Harry Kane, so incredibly hard. He's obviously a very fit player who can run all day, but I am worried that we've asked too much of him in the last two seasons. He's the only player in our squad (bar Lloris) who we absolutely can't do without, and I really don't think that Fulham's Dembele (or Berahino) has proven that he can fill in for Kane in any credible way. Plus, having another legitimate striker gives Poch a ton of options. Imagine being able to bring Kane off the bench in the 60th minute of a midweek 0-0 draw with West Brom, for example, if it was our 3rd game in 10 days or something.

As long as he is able to press and malleable enough to play with Kane, I can't see why we wouldn't stump up the cash for another forward.

From the ones we've been linked with and I've seen (sometimes minor) bits and pieces of, these would cheer me up if signed as of today:

Moussa Dembele II (Kane backup)
Schurrle (Chadli upgrade)
Wijnaldum (more profilic upgrade on Mason / Carrol)
Wanyama (or someone else as direct Dier cover, if Bentaleb wont regain form)
And someone to give Toby a rest, 3 central defenders aren't enough with 3 cups and a new PL season. CCV is stil to young but who knows.

We're fragile, if one consisting of our core gets injured for months we might have a bitter 2016/2017.
I always hope for the best more so than ever with this entire squad, especially when it comes to our academy graduates. The faith I have in our staff and players right now is unprecedented.

£40m for Batahuayi has been quoted in the press all week.

It's very much a seller's market at the moment. In demand players only move for the price the selling club wants.

He's currently Marsailles' only forward. They basically need eye watering money for him to rebuild their entire squad. They want their equivalent of a Bale sale. Why on earth would they let him come to us cheap?

Marsailles only forward? Last week you was saying we should go for whichever forward it was that was getting in their team ahead of him (as some roundabout way of saying he wasn't good enough iirc)

You really will just say anything just to argue the toss won't you?

I've only seen Ball once, but it was in the old firm game and he was very impressive.
If he can deal with that game in such a calm and accomplished manner then I would have no hesitation in having him in the match day squad

I've only seen Ball once, but it was in the old firm game and he was very impressive.
If he can deal with that game in such a calm and accomplished manner then I would have no hesitation in having him in the match day squad

I thought that he looked good in the game too. He's certainly worth a run out in pre-season

From the ones we've been linked with and I've seen (sometimes minor) bits and pieces of, these would cheer me up if signed as of today:

Moussa Dembele II (Kane backup)
Schurrle (Chadli upgrade)
Wijnaldum (more profilic upgrade on Mason / Carrol)
Wanyama (or someone else as direct Dier cover, if Bentaleb wont regain form)
And someone to give Toby a rest, 3 central defenders aren't enough with 3 cups and a new PL season. CCV is stil to young but who knows.

We're fragile, if one consisting of our core gets injured for months we might have a bitter 2016/2017.
I always hope for the best more so than ever with this entire squad, especially when it comes to our academy graduates. The faith I have in our staff and players right now is unprecedented.

Parachuting in 5 big-wage chequebook signings would complete destroy the team spirit that our success has been built on and create totally unnecessary disruption and instability (especially when City, Chelsea and United are likely going to inflict that chaos on themselves again).

Making second rate chequebook signings is the bad-old Tottenham approach that hampered us so badly for 25 years.

Us and Leicester's starting 11s contain 20 players who were at the club last season (Kante and Alder the only summer additions). That stability has been the secret of our successes.

Parachuting in 5 big-wage chequebook signings would complete destroy the team spirit that our success has been built on and create totally unnecessary disruption and instability (especially when City, Chelsea and United are likely going to inflict that chaos on themselves again).

Making second rate chequebook signings is the bad-old Tottenham approach that hampered us so badly for 25 years.

Us and Leicester's starting 11s contain 20 players who were at the club last season (Kante and Alder the only summer additions). That stability has been the secret of our successes.

Who's talking about five first team signings? I think that the consensus is two or three and those are mainly as cover, so would fit with our development signings.

Marsailles only forward? Last week you was saying we should go for whichever forward it was that was getting in their team ahead of him (as some roundabout way of saying he wasn't good enough iirc)

You really will just say anything just to argue the toss won't you?

It's Steven Fletcher who has been getting in ahead of him, but he's only on loan from Sunderland

Who's talking about five first team signings? I think that the consensus is two or three and those are mainly as cover, so would fit with our development signings.

It's still churning 1/5 of the squad. That's more than enough to tip the balance, especially if it's homegrowners like Bentalab, Pritchard, 2CV, Onomah and Winks who are cast aside to make room for them.

It's still churning 1/5 of the squad. That's more than enough to tip the balance, especially if it's homegrowners like Bentalab, Pritchard, 2CV, Onomah and Winks who are cast aside to make room for them.

Let's see where we are at the end of the summer, eh? Bold, sweeping statements have a habit of making people look stupid and we could really do without a summer where you say the same thing about every player we are linked with.

Let's see where we are at the end of the summer, eh? Bold, sweeping statements have a habit of making people look stupid and we could really do without a summer where you say the same thing about every player we are linked with.

I just get frustrated with all the FM boys wanting 5 random players who are good on their computer game, and happy to cast aside the far better players who we already have. And the impatience of writing off Njie and Son, but then wanting to bring in other randomers from weaker leagues who will then not be afforded time to get up to the pace and physicality of the league.

It's one thing to play human resources on speed when you are doing badly, but for the first time in 25 years we've abandoned that approach and are suddenly doing well again.

It's just like they haven't learnt anything, or understood why Poch is succeeding where his 15 predecessors failed.

I just get frustrated with all the FM boys wanting 5 random players who are good on their computer game, and happy to cast aside the far better players who we already have. And the impatience of writing off Njie and Son, but then wanting to bring in other randomers from weaker leagues who will then not be afforded time to get up to the pace and physicality of the league.

It's one thing to play human resources on speed when you are doing badly, but for the first time in 25 years we've abandoned that approach and are suddenly doing well again.

It's just like they haven't learnt anything, or understood why Poch is succeeding where his 15 predecessors failed.

The best teams combine new players with development though

Make no mistake developing our own is vital but our stand out performers this season have included players brought in and performing straight away like Toby and Alli...

The reality is for where we are heading we have to take calculated risks

We also have to improve as a team

When you look at our squad we have a massive weakness of centre forward cover - as in players that actually play not centre forward, not make shift solutions. Of the games that Kane hasn't scored in this seasin we haven't won 13 of them... If 2 or 3 of them were converted into wins by having another option we would win the league!!!!

You also look at the cover for players who have been exceptional in midfield as it is a big disparity in quality like for like. Mason and Bentelab are decent players but if we want to progress we need to be looking at players who we think can be better than Dier and Dembele, not just cover.

We certainly don't have any obvious candidates coming through as a forward yet and in midfield the two I mentioned haven't progressed in comparison to the rest of the team

Add in Chadli as player who I think needs to move for the sake of his career that leaves at least 4 positions to fill with adequate level players regardless of them being signings of brought through from the youth. They need to be at roast as good and ideally Better than we have...

Back