• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The General Transfer Rumours and Speculation Thread

I've come 360 on Wanyama. I saw him play a few times for Celtic a few years back and though he was a class above everyone on the pitch (not too hard) but a few CL outings were a better yard stick, and he was great in those too.
His start at Southampton was pretty poor if I recall, but he's got to the pace of the league and looks very solid now. Yes for me.
Funny, I watched him at Celtic and thought he was awful, yet think he's looked a lot better at soton.

Funny, I watched him at Celtic and thought he was awful, yet think he's looked a lot better at soton.
Maybe I only caught his good games (o_O) but I do remember thinking we should throw a bid in for him. He was linked with Arsenal too at the time if I recall. He started very poorly at Southampton though and I was thinking that I was glad we didn't register an interest in him.

Maybe I only caught his good games (o_O) but I do remember thinking we should throw a bid in for him. He was linked with Arsenal too at the time if I recall. He started very poorly at Southampton though and I was thinking that I was glad we didn't register an interest in him.
I've a lot of mates who are Celtic supporters who thought he was great, I just never rated him when was there. Thought he was rash and indisciplined.

Why not Nicolas N'Koulou? Out of contract in the summer, has just turned 26, has played under Bielsa at OM (and shared a great rapport with the guy, by all accounts, which bodes well for his potential adaptation to our style of play), and is well suited for the dual CB/DM role a la Dier, given that he's been played at DM for large portions of his career (and was considered the heir to Rigobert Song at one point).

Being Cameroonian, he might give N'Jie some company too, since Clinton's been noticeably absent in the high-spirited banter our lads get up to most days. :p But in all seriousness, if backup for Dier's what we need, we should consider N'Koulou on a free. Wanyama....eh, I can't see it.

Why not Nicolas N'Koulou? Out of contract in the summer, has just turned 26, has played under Bielsa at OM (and shared a great rapport with the guy, by all accounts, which bodes well for his potential adaptation to our style of play), and is well suited for the dual CB/DM role a la Dier, given that he's been played at DM for large portions of his career (and was considered the heir to Rigobert Song at one point).

Being Cameroonian, he might give N'Jie some company too, since Clinton's been noticeably absent in the high-spirited banter our lads get up to most days. :p But in all seriousness, if backup for Dier's what we need, we should consider N'Koulou on a free. Wanyama....eh, I can't see it.

Interesting. Don't know him, but your summation makes him appear a bargain. I will look up the old 'youtube'...cheers, nice one.

Interesting. Don't know him, but your summation makes him appear a bargain. I will look up the old 'youtube'...cheers, nice one.

To be honest, he seems to tick all the 'off-field' boxes (Bielsa favorite, seemingly quiet fella, considered the 'leader' of the Marseille backline despite that) but the YT videos I've watched haven't exactly filled me with amazement.

My thinking on the matter's a bit more devious: I feel like prising N'Koulou from Marseille will give us a further 'in' when it comes to trying to get Batshuayi over other suitors this summer, were we to try. I know West Ham fans are playing up the Payet-Batshuayi link: this could be our approximation, while also filling a squad hole with a free player who won't upset the dressing room chemistry and seems good enough, if not outstanding, in his role.

Not sure we're looking for someone for a "dual CB/CM role". Doesn't seem like Dier was signed for that role and it's not a typical role in most teams I can think of. Just that Dier showed himself capable of the DM role and took it by storm.

N'Kolou might very well be good enough though. That I don't know much about. Just don't think we'll be looking in particular for someone that can play both positions.

For me someone that can play both next to Dembele or next to Dier would be a much better fit for our squad than someone that can play both at CB and DM. Particularly if Bentaleb really is being put to the side.

Not sure we're looking for someone for a "dual CB/CM role". Doesn't seem like Dier was signed for that role and it's not a typical role in most teams I can think of. Just that Dier showed himself capable of the DM role and took it by storm.

N'Kolou might very well be good enough though. That I don't know much about. Just don't think we'll be looking in particular for someone that can play both positions.

For me someone that can play both next to Dembele or next to Dier would be a much better fit for our squad than someone that can play both at CB and DM. Particularly if Bentaleb really is being put to the side.

I think his recent operation has largely put to bed that rumour. It's clearer now that him not featuring much between December and March was likely due to his initial injury not having cleared up

I think his recent operation has largely put to bed that rumour. It's clearer now that him not featuring much between December and March was likely due to his initial injury not having cleared up

I think that you are trying to make the facts fit your view again here.

Reactions: DTA

Personally, the reason I'm looking for that particular CB/DM archetype is because of two reasons - firstly, Dier plays like a CB in midfield (dropping deeper than our two CBs at times), and that sort of playstyle has clearly been immensely useful, which makes me wonder if a DM who hasn't played that role before would understand how to carry out. Secondly, next season, Fazio will be sold - assuming we'd want to rest Dier and not put him at CB again, we're short one. We'll have Toby, Jan and Wimmer - the fourth spot is open. Now, personally, I'd like to see CCV given that spot if Poch feels he's good enough, but I'd still like to have another CB around just in case he doesn't adapt quickly. Having five CBs (with CCV Included) is overkill - ergo, having a DM/CB archetype kills two birds with one stone.

I certainly wouldn't complain if we brought in a player who can fill both Dier and Dembele's role (Saul Niguez, perhaps, or Riechedly Bazoer) but the price of those players is likely to be high for a good reason, and it wouldn't give us an extra CB option.

Evidence (the need for an operation) vs rumour (about an apparent fall-out over his contract renewal)

I am not aware of any evidence that he was carrying an injury prior to getting injured pkayingfor the U21s and it is not a rumour about him asking to play for the U21s, it was confirmed by McDermott.

Philip Billing is linked in the Huddersfield press today with a move to us. 19 years old and playing in the Championship means that he is of course on our radar.

Philip Billing is linked in the Huddersfield press today with a move to us. 19 years old and playing in the Championship means that he is of course on our radar.

Who is he? That is, what kind of player is he and where would he likely slot into the team/squad?

He's big and Danish.

I managed to find a photo:

images

If I remember correctly, we sent scouts to some Marseille-Rennes game earlier this season, before Dembele had broken out. I'd suggested we were looking at him then, rather than Batshuayi (who everyone assumed would be the one we'd be watching). So, this transfer would delight me if only because I actually predicted something right for once. :p In all seriousness, though, where would we play him? He's two footed, works like a demon in training, is scarily talented...but plays on the wing (either wing, really), and we currently have Son, Lamela, Eriksen, Chadli and N'Jie for those wing spots.

Again, this might be a case of getting a player with high potential aboard (as with Tielemans) despite there already being a player available for his position, but it doesn't fill a gap.

Back