• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Future Squad

A CB that can play on the left, ideally also in the centre. A CB that can play on the right and in the centre. One of them a ready made first team player.

A goalkeeper.

Depending on what happens with Perisic, Udogie and Sessegnon a left wing back.

Options in the front line. Depending on how Danjuma does and what happens with Gil.

Stick with Conte and the 3-4-3.

This is where I'm at in terms of hopes for next season now:

With Conte, it will be 3 at the back, so your pick is close but this could be it

----------------------------------Lloris/New GK

Porro(Spence/Royal)------Romero(Sanchez)-----New CB(Dier)----New CB(Davies)----Udogie(Perisic)

-----------------------Bentancur(Sarr)--------Bissouma(Skipp)

Kulusevski(Gil)-----------------Kane/Richarlison-------------------Son(Danjuma)

Which is an interesting view

- only 3 players required -> 2 CBs + GK

Problem there is if we move on Rodon, Sanchez, Tanganga & Lenglet we need at least 3 CBs back in, hard to see us doing that in one window (hence I left Sanchez in). I suspect we will have to compromise and keep one of the four of them for another season.

With Conte, it will be 3 at the back, so your pick is close but this could be it

Porro(Spence/Royal)------Romero(Sanchez)-----New CB(Dier)----New CB(Davies)----Udogie(Perisic)

Problem there is if we move on Rodon, Sanchez, Tanganga & Lenglet we need at least 3 CBs back in, hard to see us doing that in one window (hence I left Sanchez in). I suspect we will have to compromise and keep one of the four of them for another season.
Think you missed out Hojberg?

i agree though, the next upgrade in the summer needs to be 2 CBs and a GK.

I wonder if even Conte is coming round to the death of 3 CBs, seeing how Dier was almost back at DM against City.

I think we have to sell Sanchez because of his contract situation; otherwise I'd be happy to see him stick around as cover. Another solution could be Royal becoming the second RCB.

Think you missed out Hojberg?

i agree though, the next upgrade in the summer needs to be 2 CBs and a GK.

I just think he's one of those players that stands out in underperforming teams, but holds you back as the team improves. Especially his lack of ballplaying ability holds those around him back, whereas in contrast say Bentancur has the Modric quality of improving everyone around him.

I just think he's one of those players that stands out in underperforming teams, but holds you back as the team improves. Especially his lack of ballplaying ability holds those around him back, whereas in contrast say Bentancur has the Modric quality of improving everyone around him.
Oh you’re preaching to the choir with Bentancur, I think he’s a class above. I just think Hojberg is still well worthy of a squad place for us. He’d be fairly far down the list of players I’d look to replace.

Oh you’re preaching to the choir with Bentancur, I think he’s a class above. I just think Hojberg is still well worthy of a squad place for us. He’d be fairly far down the list of players I’d look to replace.

I don't mind him at all (superb against City). But I think the other 4 are all improving and have higher ceilings, whereas I think he has peaked.

For me he is one of those 'being brave' sales that we never do - where you sell before the value plummets and they become deadwood. A £25m fee for him could then pay for say Scott or more than half of Kudus.

I don't mind him at all (superb against City). But I think the other 4 are all improving and have higher ceilings, whereas I think he has peaked.

For me he is one of those 'being brave' sales that we never do - where you sell before the value plummets and they become deadwood. A £25m fee for him could then pay for say Scott or more than half of Kudus.
£25m for PEH???? I'm glad you are nowhere near our transfer business.
I'm not his biggest fan but he's worth a lot more than that and at 27 has many years left in him.

£25m for PEH???? I'm glad you are nowhere near our transfer business.
I'm not his biggest fan but he's worth a lot more than that and at 27 has many years left in him.

Hadn't really thought about it/haven't really got used to the new Boehly-Truss inflation rates. Transfermarkt have him valued at £40m, and that's usually a decent guide.

The problem though is that, because of the European club situation, his suitors now would probably be limited to the likes of whichever of Villa, Wolves, West Ham, Everton, Leeds don't go down. Unless we can work a clever part-exchange with a European club.

Hadn't really thought about it/haven't really got used to the new Boehly-Truss inflation rates. Transfermarkt have him valued at £40m, and that's usually a decent guide.

The problem though is that, because of the European club situation, his suitors now would probably be limited to the likes of whichever of Villa, Wolves, West Ham, Everton, Leeds don't go down. Unless we can work a clever part-exchange with a European club.
We would be mad to sell Hojbjerg unless we were doing it so that we could spend huge money and bring in (e.g.) Declan Rice and I don't think we'd have the money or the pull to bring in such a player, we also have far more pressing need of improvements in other parts of our team so are unlikely to be looking at a new first team CM.

We'd be especially mad selling Hojbjerg if it was to play Bissouma instead of him. Hojbjerg is a considerably better player than Bissouma, that's been abundantly clear in their respective performances this season. Selling any of our first choice players would be madness at the moment. Our first choice players all need to stay to at least be part of our squad and our aim in pretty much all cases should be to upgrade first team players with new signings so that the current first team incumbent becomes a squad player and we actually build a squad to try to win the league.

Last edited:

Agreed on this. I find it hard to see us getting more than £25m for PEH for those reasons, coupled with anyone looking at, say, a £40m asking price for him would find cheaper alternatives in European leagues

All that said, PEH has at least 1 more year with us and priority this summer, alongside the 2 CB and GK signings, is to get shot of:

- Tubby
- GLC
- Winks
- Reguilon
- Rodon
- Tanganga
- loans for some combination of Skipp, Sarr, Gil, Devine, maybe Spence to a PL team

Busy summer for us!

Agreed on this. I find it hard to see us getting more than £25m for PEH for those reasons, coupled with anyone looking at, say, a £40m asking price for him would find cheaper alternatives in European leagues

All that said, PEH has at least 1 more year with us and priority this summer, alongside the 2 CB and GK signings, is to get shot of:

- Tubby
- GLC
- Winks
- Reguilon
- Rodon
- Tanganga
- loans for some combination of Skipp, Sarr, Gil, Devine, maybe Spence to a PL team

Busy summer for us!

The list of people "to get shot" of, is exactly like the list from last summer is it not? Apart from Doherty I guess who we gave away for free.

It's sort of a like transfer outgoings purgatory.

Potential squad for next season? Just thinking what Ange and the club might do not necessarily what we would like to happen.

Vicario, Forster, Austin
Romero, Van De Ven, Todibo, Phillips, Davies
Porro, Udogie, Spence, Sessegnon
Bentancur, Sarr, Bissouma, Gallagher, Maddison
Kulusevski, Johnson, Son, Richarlison, Solomon, Gil

Potential squad for next season? Just thinking what Ange and the club might do not necessarily what we would like to happen.

Vicario, Forster, Austin
Not bad, would look to replace Romero with someone more stable, same with Bissouma.

Son has about 18 months left till his legs go.

Sessegnon and Gil are not at the required level. Same could be said for Richarlson. We need to see if Dorrington, Phillips, Devine, Moore and Scarlett can step up a level over the next year and a half. One or two of them doing so could save us a lot of money.

Not bad, would look to replace Romero with someone more stable, same with Bissouma.

Son has about 18 months left till his legs go.

Sessegnon and Gil are not at the required level. Same could be said for Richarlson. We need to see if Dorrington, Phillips, Devine, Moore and Scarlett can step up a level over the next year and a half. One or two of them doing so could save us a lot of money.
The youth has plenty of scope
They just need chances and minutes
I do hope we don’t persevere with players who have short contracts now because these guys need opportunities

Vicario, Forster, Austin

Forster and Austin are out of contract/get released in June.

And I don't think Spence and Sessegnon will ever play for us again.

But after CB, the like-for-like cover in those 3 positions definitely seems like the biggest gaps in the squad.

Vicario, Forster, Austin

I hate the idea of doing Chelsea a favour by paying big money for one of their academy players, they already lucked out with the fee for Mount. Why help them towards making what they're doing ok (by the current guidelines). Plus losing Skipp, PEH and GLC for that one player doesn't seem a great trade off, particularly if we get any kind of European football.

No movement on the forward line is interesting, upgrading Gill to a serious player to compete for a first team spot would be ideal as Solomon would be happy enough to remain as a squad filler.

Todibo could be great, Dier needs upgrading. I imagine the majority of folks hadn't seen (or possibly even heard of) VDV before we signed him, given the evidence I'm confident that whoever we go for will be the right profile, style of defender and personality.

On the GK position, I appreciate that 99 teams out of 100 will have a drop off in quality from the first choice to reserve but it's a gaping chasm with Forster. Let's say just after the window closed next summer Vic gets a bad injury, no doubt people will pretend to be shocked and surprised crying misfortune but it'd just be bad planning.

Back