• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The extortionate price of tickets.....

Briddo1882

Erik Edman
Is it just me or does anyone else refuse to pay the cost of concert tickets nowadays? Two gigs that I would have liked to have gone to this summer, Guns 'n' Roses - London Stadium £85.00 each and Iron Maiden - O2 - £75.00 each.

I saw G'n'R back in the day and paid about £20.00 at the old Wembley and I've seen Maiden in the past for between £8.50 and £20.00 (I did pay £65.00 a couple of years ago to take my son).

But generally, I think ticket prices are extortionate.

I have just paid £16.50 to see a Pink Floyd Tribute act - much more acceptable!

Is it just me or does anyone else refuse to pay the cost of concert tickets nowadays? Two gigs that I would have liked to have gone to this summer, Guns 'n' Roses - London Stadium £85.00 each and Iron Maiden - O2 - £75.00 each.

I saw G'n'R back in the day and paid about £20.00 at the old Wembley and I've seen Maiden in the past for between £8.50 and £20.00 (I did pay £65.00 a couple of years ago to take my son).

When was the last time you paid for recorded music though? The resurgence of vinyl hasn't really counteracted the fact that 90% of music now is pirated.

The increase in price of gig tickets is how the music industry earns its pay now. The chain venues have also killed off a lot of the competition (e.g. university venues, which were the core venues in the 80s and 90s)

I just had to cough up £270 for Glastonbury yesterday (including £45 for parking!)

thats a good point, i'd say 20 years ago you'd be paying £12.99 for a new release on cd, adjusted for inflation a new album should cost £22.34 now, but the most common price on iTunes seems to be around £9.99, the difference has to be made up somewhere

the album/tour dynamic has been reversed

There's no reason for GNR to charge that much just so Axl, Slash and Duff can take home $1,000,000 each per gig.

There's no reason for GNR to charge that much just so Axl, Slash and Duff can take home $1,000,000 each per gig.

I think that bands only get about 1/3 of the money (and they pay their crew out of their share). The rest goes to the industry (venue, promoters, labels, agents, managers etc.).

That's better than the 1% (performer) or 8% (song writer) they used to get for record sales though.

they know the market too, these gigs will all sell out, and not to young un's either, the demographic is those who now have disposable income and didn't get to see them first time around, it's packaged nostalgia

I took my son to the cinema in half term and was heard muttering expletives when I paid, do not even get me started on the popcorn.

I took my son to the cinema in half term and was heard muttering expletives when I paid, do not even get me started on the popcorn.

There's still good independent cinemas around where you can get in for a £5. Or get an NUS card by signing up to a free online ghost course. Or pirateproxy is your friend.

I think that bands only get about 1/3 of the money (and they pay their crew out of their share). The rest goes to the industry (venue, promoters, labels, agents, managers etc.).

That's better than the 1% (performer) or 8% (song writer) they used to get for record sales though.

In 2010 it cost $500,000 to book the band, now it's closer to 5 million and those three take home the vast majority. The other band members are just employees, though obviously a lot better paid than the rest of the crew. The biggest acts are obscene with the amounts they're asking considering how loaded some of them already are. VIP packages are the biggest scams though. Several thousand for access to the pit and a tour backstage. If you're lucky some of the band members might walk past you really quickly.

Small to medium sized bands have to make their money through sale of merch, which I'm more than happy to help them with. You can never have too many t-shirts.

All a bloody long way from when I use to pay 2/6 at The Marquee to see The Stones, Moody Blues, John Lee Hooker, The Drifter and lots more

When was the last time you paid for recorded music though? The resurgence of vinyl hasn't really counteracted the fact that 90% of music now is pirated.

The increase in price of gig tickets is how the music industry earns its pay now. The chain venues have also killed off a lot of the competition (e.g. university venues, which were the core venues in the 80s and 90s)

I just had to cough up £270 for Glastonbury yesterday (including £45 for parking!)

£2.81 a hour...worth every bloody penny if you ask me.

All a bloody long way from when I use to pay 2/6 at The Marquee to see The Stones, Moody Blues, John Lee Hooker, The Drifter and lots more

i paid 7 shillings/6pence to see this one

Jimi Hendrix Experience
Pink Floyd
The Move
Amen Corner
Nice
Eire Apparent
Outer Limits
Pete Drummond (compere)

m671117c.jpg

i paid 7 shillings/6pence to see this one

Jimi Hendrix Experience
Pink Floyd
The Move
Amen Corner
Nice
Eire Apparent
Outer Limits
Pete Drummond (compere)

m671117c.jpg

What price today? My mates sisters got tickets to the NME poll winners show at Wembley Arena in the early 60's it was an amazing line up

What price today? My mates sisters got tickets to the NME poll winners show at Wembley Arena in the early 60's it was an amazing line up

Supply and demand will always rule, contrary to what some people believe there is a lot of spare cash in peoples pockets in todays world.

I totally agree in the last couple of years prices have gone through the roof.....for example recently,Kasabian were doing a mini tour of mid size concert halls just to get back into the swing of things before hitting the bigger stages,had a code to get first dibs.... £50 +b/f,two years ago that would have been about £35.......Stone Roses standing at Wembley £80......even though not a fan Robbie Williams standing £85.....these are well known groups whove got a few quid in the bank all ready.

All these are face value tickets there are people who buy tickets off stub hub and seat wave too as well,some people have too much spare cash lol.....

I
All these are face value tickets there are people who buy tickets off stub hub and seat wave too as well,some people have too much spare cash lol.....

What would you rather do with your spare cash?, have a night out on the town and have a fancy meal ( lets face it food is just brick waiting to happen), buy the latest " boy toy" , buy a ST at you favourite football club, or go and see some live music.

As i said earlier you touch yourself and takes your choice.

I get to a couple of gigs a month and have a few rules - anything over £45 needs to be a bucket list band or have solid support (blink 182 have frank turner in support - so £60 is about right).

Stone roses at Wembley for £80 and the support is a really average band is a tinkle take.
Look at green day at Hyde park this summer - three or four really strong bands on the lineup for £65. Granted Hyde park does have the luxury of s large capacity.

Back