• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Europa League - it's fackin boring!

Last night wasn't really a boring game either, just frustrating from a Spurs fan's POV.

I thought last nights game was good but it certainly is difficult to feel any great enthusiasm for any of the games. When we score a goal in the Europa League it's not that great a feeling in comparison to getting a goal in other competitions. The only feeling I really gain from it is disappointment when a small club gets a result from us. When we win by four or five it's nothing special because we really should be winning every group game in the groups easily if we want to be a competitive club.

If we reach the quarters I may start to get excited but much more because it's a gateway to the Champions League rather than anything to do with the tournament its self.

I actually enjoyed this tournament more 6 or 7 years ago when it was still the UEFA Cup.

Really need to make it an unseeded knockout competition from the beginning. I don't think the monetry reward for taking part atm is even big enough for teams to oppose such a revamp

Absoloutly this. Make it a knockout competition and stop Champions League drop outs coming in.

I've had my doubts about this competition in the past too. That said, they aren't going to change its format in the middle of the season. Over the summer quite a few seemed well up for it with our 'depth' of squad and new manager, trying out players, creating competition for places, 'bedding' in players and so on. We were going to make a good run at it, for the CL place for the winner, for that elusive silverware, in a competition we actually had a chance of winning.

It's still better than the League Cup

I'm not sure which one is the lesser of the competitions. If it wasn't for the fact you now get Champions League from winning the Europa League then I'd say the League Cup is better, purely because it's nice to win a trophy before the end of season run in (though it didn't help us too much) and it takes a lot less effort to win the League Cup then it does travelling all over Scandinavia and Eastern Europe with Sunday games.

I'm not sure which one is the lesser of the competitions. If it wasn't for the fact you now get Champions League from winning the Europa League then I'd say the League Cup is better, purely because it's nice to win a trophy before the end of season run in (though it didn't help us too much) and it takes a lot less effort to win the League Cup then it does travelling all over Scandinavia and Eastern Europe with Sunday games.
At least we get to skip a couple of stages of the League Cup.

If we could skip the first two stages of the ITV4 Cup then it wouldn't be so bad.

So are the Champion's League group stages.
CL group stages are far more interesting than the Tinpot Cup.

I've watched a lot of CL group stage matches just for the sake of watching football. I've never once in my life watched a group stage match in the UEFA that didn't involve Spurs - not even one with English clubs in.

CL group stages are far more interesting than the Tinpot Cup.

I've watched a lot of CL group stage matches just for the sake of watching football. I've never once in my life watched a group stage match in the UEFA that didn't involve Spurs - not even one with English clubs in.

I do agree with this, although I don't consider the Europa to be 'tinpot'. I am only interested in it when Spurs are involved.

The whole competition needs to go back to how it was before money took over. Straight knockout and luck of the draw, give teams with the better coefficients byes through the early rounds so they don't have to travel to wayoutbackistan to play a team of yurt builders only to find the pitch is a converted sheep field and its a 12 hour bus journey from the nearest airport.

Once you are out of the group stages the Europa is alright

So they don't have to travel to wayoutbackistan to play a team of yurt builders only to find the pitch is a converted sheep field and its a 12 hour bus journey from the nearest airport.

Well for the overpaid and spoilt, maybe it builds character, teamwork and unity. Bonding time with the new gaffer, more opportunity and experience for the youngsters, a chance to impress and all that. If we weren't in it this season it would afford less time for Poch to figure out his 1st eleven, etc. (although maybe he's already done that cos I keep hearing we fielded our 2nd eleven yesterday). Of course, unless we start winning we could get eliminated anyway...at which point some will say 'its a good thing'.

Last edited:
Wonder what we'll think of the bloody thing once we've won it. :lol:

Well we've got a while till that happens but in the event we win it then the Europa League is obviously on par, if not perhaps better, than the World Cup. Also, qualification for the European Super Cup would mean that if we were to win that as well we are the undisputed champions of European champions.

UEFA are looking at ways of making the CL a 64 team competition which would obviously dilute the quality of it but everyone in europe hates the format of the europa, even the carrot of a CL place to the winner wont save it

I thought that was a really good game tbh.

It would be easy to rectify, knockout tournament and no champs league dropouts.

100% correct on everything Nigey.

Bin the group stages, rename it the Europa Cup (or Trophy), straight knockout 128 entrants. Could even do an FA Cup style format with the higher-ranked teams coming in at the 3rd round if needbe
But yes, no CL dropouts, they have had their chance.

Straight knockout format will bring more excitement to more matches, granted you will still not be to eradicate 'dead rubbers' because you will always encounter ties that are as good as decided in the 1st leg, but thats football I am afraid.

The whole competition needs to go back to how it was before money took over. Straight knockout and luck of the draw, give teams with the better coefficients byes through the early rounds so they don't have to travel to wayoutbackistan to play a team of yurt builders only to find the pitch is a converted sheep field and its a 12 hour bus journey from the nearest airport.

Sorry missed this pots before.

But yet again, totally agree

I came off autopay yesterday, been on it since it start but honestly cant be arsed with paying £25 a pop to watch total and utterly boring dross

I'm going to the Brighton game and will do the FA Cup, just not the EL at least until the knockout stages

Well for the overpaid and spoilt, maybe it builds character, teamwork and unity. Bonding time with the new gaffer, more opportunity and experience for the youngsters, a chance to impress and all that. If we weren't in it this season it would afford less time for Poch to figure out his 1st eleven, etc. (although maybe he's already done that cos I keep hearing we fielded our 2nd eleven yesterday). Of course, unless we start winning we could get eliminated anyway...at which point some will say 'its a good thing'.

Didn't see any of that on show so far this season.

Opportunity and experience for the youngsters? That's what loan spells to clubs like Ipswich, leeds and Sheff Utd are for.

Back