• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Cricket Thread

Indeed. Was counting on him to save our arses in the ashes like he's done many times before. Our best batsman of the last 5 years still had plenty left in him I would have thought.

Got his test chance about 4 years too late IMO. Should have gone down as one of our modern greats.

Respect Mr Cricket.

RIP Greigy, wasnt everybodies cup of tea but had a massive part in making cricket what it is today

Think that's a bit of an understatement. He played as big a part as anyone on World Series Cricket, especially getting the non-Aussies on board. Without him, it would have been that funny old game played on the other side of the world, and the world would not have embraced limited overs cricket.

Every time a modern day cricketer looks at their bank balance, they should say a quiet word of thanks to Tony Greig. He made himself very unpopular during those times, but cricket is better for it.

If you can, see if you can get hold of the mini-series Howzat, which is about the start of WSC. Mainly focused on Kerry Packer, but Tony Greig plays a big part in it too. Interesting politics back in those days too. Seems he and Ian Chappell didn't quite see eye to eye (though from what I understand, Greigy wasn't Robinson Crusoe in that department).

Indeed. Was counting on him to save our arses in the ashes like he's done many times before. Our best batsman of the last 5 years still had plenty left in him I would have thought.

Got his test chance about 4 years too late IMO. Should have gone down as one of our modern greats.

Respect Mr Cricket.

With him and Ponting going itll mean a massively inexperienced side coming over in the summer..

What do you think will be your starting eleven injuries permitting for the 1st test 10th July - Trent Bridge

Not too fussed about Ponting. He and Hussey's retirements are polar opposites. Ponting should have gone 2 years ago, Hussey still has 2 years left in him.

First XI should look something like:

Batsmen:
Warner
Cowan
Hughes
Watson
Clarke
Khawaja

Pretty happy with that. Warner is maturing, but he's good for those second innings digs where he can get a quick fire 50 or so and turn an unassailable target into something achievable. Cowan is a bit hit and miss. Hughes is a much better player than last Ashes series. Watson is decent (though I don't think he's the messiah like most Aus fans do). Clarke is the best test batsman of the last 12 months. Khawaja has a question mark.

Wickie will be Wade who is 1000x better than Haddin.

Bowlers - Siddle and Pattinson (if fit) will be there. Lyon will spin. The other spot will be either Hilfenhaus, Starc or Johnson. Johnson looked good again against Sri Lanka, but SL are brick.

I actually think our bowling attack is better suited to English conditions. Starc can swing as good as any of your bowlers, reminds me of when Terry Alderman cleaned you guys up one year. We don't have any real pace like we previously had with Lee, Gillespie or Tate.

It's definitely an inexperienced line up, but somehow I think under Clarke that might not be a bad thing. They'll at least show him the respect that guys like Ponting and Katich wouldn't.

Will be an interesting series for sure. Aussies will be underdogs and rightly so, which suits us fine.

Isn't Hughes an opener? He got destroyed last time. Didn't Watson also used to open? He did pretty well there, seemed to always get good starts and get 40/50 but then never really turned them into tons.

Hughes was an opener (still is) but we're trying him as a 3. He had a couple gaping holes in his technique first time round that got exposed pretty quickly. He's worked on that now and this season especially is reaping the benefits.

He's a model professional who works on his game constantly. I think there's a good batsman in there.

Watson as openner was only ever a band aid. We need openners who can last an innings, which Watson can't do. He's better off batting 5th or 6th and steadying an innings.

Just booked time off work to do the Ashes... Perth, Melbourne and Sydney... I need TP for my bunghole.

As we get nearer to the ashes series would it be worth putting up people's itineraries for those attending any of the tests? I am not at any of first series in England but I should be going to Brisbane and Adelaide and maybe part of the Sydney test depending on results (the Aussies never sell out day 4 or 5 if they have lost the series/look like losing a test! bloody fair weather fans !). I know a couple of you are coming over (Marky, Greg) but if there are any others going to games maybe we could arrange meet ups for a beer or two if it works out for people going to the same test.

Just a thought.

Im flying to Perth on the 11th Dec, will be at days 2 onwards of the 3rd test

Then flying to Sydney on the 18th Dec, will be there till the 25th, then flying onto Melbourne for the BD test

Then flying back to Sydney on NYE where ill be staying till I fly back on the 8th

Back