• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Cricket Thread

What the actual fudge?! Cannot believe what I've just turned my tv on to...

Might've known with hindsight, if we're getting to the dizzy heights of 400, they would sail to 600+ declared.

Series over. come home now.

Test cricket in its current guise is doomed. The pitches are so home team friendly it makes the majority of touring contests a non event.
England are so poor in the bowling department for Australian conditions. Us not having a couple of competent spinners just compounds the problem.
The batting is OK but without a half decent bowling attack on these type of wickets, we see the inevitable unfold yet again.
We are not good enough AND sadly Joe Root should be allowed to just bat the captaincy looks to once again distract from his game.

Last edited:
Total domination by the aussies, 5-0 here we come

Got to agree, the 3rd 5-0 result in the last 4 tours down there is looking highly likely.

This just looks very very similar to 4 years ago to me, I'm actually shocked we don't seem to have prepared better or learnt anything from that. What's telling is that I've been hearing '5-0' thrown around by the analysts on commentary more or less since day 1 of the tour, so it's not as if any of this should be coming as a surprise...

Couple more failures for Cook and Root. Unless it tinkles down all day we've had it.

As much as I like Cook, if I'm honest I've always found him somewhat overrated. Leaving aside the 10-11 ashes series, this kind of thing seems to be the norm for him, with the odd massive score against lower level opposition thrown in to cement his place. I haven't looked at the stats, but I'd be surprised if this time is far different from either of his other ashes tours in Australia (06-07 & 13-14). Very disappointing, because he's the one player I always want to do well, but it seems more often than not, this is what we get from him.

Test cricket in its current guise is doomed. The pitches are so home team friendly it makes the majority of touring contests a non event.
England are so poor in the bowling department for Australian conditions. Us not having a couple of competent spinners just compounds the problem.
The batting is OK but without a half decent bowling attack on these type of wickets, we see the inevitable unfold yet again.
We are not good enough AND sadly Joe Root should be allowed to just bat the captaincy looks to once again distract from his game.

The pitches are getting silly and all countries are guilty of it. The thing is here I don't think the pitches have been as biased as in some places, they've been relatively flat and obviously favour fast bowlers but the pitches haven't been as quick as in previous tours. Usually the WACA is very fast as is the Gabba but they've been noticeably slower this tour.

As much as I like Cook, if I'm honest I've always found him somewhat overrated. Leaving aside the 10-11 ashes series, this kind of thing seems to be the norm for him, with the odd massive score against lower level opposition thrown in to cement his place. I haven't looked at the stats, but I'd be surprised if this time is far different from either of his other ashes tours in Australia (06-07 & 13-14). Very disappointing, because he's the one player I always want to do well, but it seems more often than not, this is what we get from him.

Overrated !!

150 Test Matches, 31 Hundreds, 55 Fifty's, averaging almost 46, ok then

Overrated !!

150 Test Matches, 31 Hundreds, 55 Fifty's, averaging almost 46, ok then

I thought of his stats when I wrote the post - I know they kind of contradict what I said. Don't get me wrong I've been a fan of his since he first broke into the test side, it just frustrates me so much to see the opposition's biggest players standing up when it really matters, meantime Cook is out for 7......again. It just seems to be the case more often than not. No doubt his career stats are up there with the best. He just doesn't do it enough when it really matters for me.

And I did say leaving aside the 10-11 ashes - did you know that approximately 7% of his test career runs, and 10% of his centuries came in just that one series (7 innings)?

Last edited:
He has done well in India, scored a century on debut in Nagpur but certainly the last 3/4 years seem to have been a bit leaner. He would almost certainly been dropped if he wasn't captain during that period.

He has done well in India, scored a century on debut in Nagpur but certainly the last 3/4 years seem to have been a bit leaner. He would almost certainly been dropped if he wasn't captain during that period.

I am not so sure. Every single time he comes back to Essex inbetween teats he scores heaps of Centuries so by that alone he would have earned recalls due to county form. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/county-championship-division-one/averages have a look at his form in 7 games this season.

Lets be straight here, he is England best opening batsmen ever and that role will always come with lean times because you are facing the best bowling with the best nugget you will have lean spells, its what happens at the top and its what makes his record even better.

I have said before, Root is not captain material, he talks strong on tele and is the poster boy for the ECB but he does not have the xfactor you need for me. Need someone with abit more bite

I am not so sure. Every single time he comes back to Essex inbetween teats he scores heaps of Centuries so by that alone he would have earned recalls due to county form. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/county-championship-division-one/averages have a look at his form in 7 games this season.

Lets be straight here, he is England best opening batsmen ever and that role will always come with lean times because you are facing the best bowling with the best nugget you will have lean spells, its what happens at the top and its what makes his record even better.

I dont think once you're dropped you come back in, not with his level of experience and the age he's at. Ballance came back but he's younger. Trott is probably a similar age but that experiment flopped so I think the lesson has been learnt now. Only way he would is after trying various options we don't find anyone which would have been fairly likely. I still think he has a couple of years left in him, depends on his hunger.

If I recall he was under serious pressure right before the 10-11 ashes. There was a lot of talk of him being dropped then. Obviously, his performance that winter changed things drastically.

'Overrated' was probably a poor choice of word. What I meant was more about his failure to perform as one of our senior pro's in the big situations, with this series being a prime example. Possibly a similar criticism to what somebody said of Woakes in here recently, about his best performances coming when it doesn't matter so much. That's what frustrates me about Cook. There's been a lot of talk around this series of him & Root vs. Warner & Smith. Normally I'd confidently back Root to perform (and I'd agree the captaincy isn't suited to him), but Cook just doesn't seem to do it often enough in these clashes.

Creepy much?

DRWXH74UEAEITaj.jpg

If I recall he was under serious pressure right before the 10-11 ashes. There was a lot of talk of him being dropped then. Obviously, his performance that winter changed things drastically.

'Overrated' was probably a poor choice of word. What I meant was more about his failure to perform as one of our senior pro's in the big situations, with this series being a prime example. Possibly a similar criticism to what somebody said of Woakes in here recently, about his best performances coming when it doesn't matter so much. That's what frustrates me about Cook. There's been a lot of talk around this series of him & Root vs. Warner & Smith. Normally I'd confidently back Root to perform (and I'd agree the captaincy isn't suited to him), but Cook just doesn't seem to do it often enough in these clashes.

I see what your saying but I suppose I see cricket differently in that the x factor players are 3rd and down in the order. The likes of Gilly, KP of the world and that includes what Root should be and to be fair has been, alot of the failing of this series has been that player for us (Root) not turning up. Yes the openers set the tone but Root and his failure to ignite, counter and inspire killed us

Amazing totally different mindset from some of the senior players today in Broad/Cook/Root and look what has happened

Great to see the senior players (Cook especially) finally making contributions befitting their status. Just a shame it's happening with the series already gone, but better late than never! Now to keep it up...

Back