• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Cricket Thread

and who replaces them ?

Lots of really good young English talent scoring lots of runs this season

Duckett, Jennings, Westley, Northeast

I think Jennings is a safa, Duckett looks good as does Nick Gubbins but is left handed and I like to see a right hander with Cook. When ever I've seen Northeast he gets out for under 20. I'd move Moeen Ali to 3 and Root to 4.

Hales, Vince and Balance just do not have the technique for test match cricket, you only need a slight bit of movement and its curtains, they go after everything and alot of the time without conviction.

I think Jennings is a safa, Duckett looks good as does Nick Gubbins but is left handed and I like to see a right hander with Cook. When ever I've seen Northeast he gets out for under 20. I'd move Moeen Ali to 3 and Root to 4.

Just don't see Ali as a secure number 3 and think you would lose runs on balance from his late cameos down the order. If we had a secure opening partnership that could see off 30+ overs regularly then maybe but until we have a partner for Cook (for however long) then number 3 has to be spot on because he will often be facing a ball that is less than 10 overs old. Not convinced Moeen is right for that.

I think the current line up is not offering enough, at the minute its Cook and Root having to tie together the top order because you can not rely on Hales, Balance or Vince to stick around, and the law of averages says, as has happened, if Cook and Root fail then the others will not dig in because not only are the flat track bullies they can't handle being numero uno batsmen.

Jennings has qualified for England

I see Ryder has had his contract terminated by Essex, no doubt some drinking/fighting incident, shame though as he has been superb for us the past 2 3/4 seasons

Northants opener Ben Duckett and Surrey skipper Gareth Batty are expected to be named in England’s Test squad for the tour of Bangladesh, according to Sky sources.

Batty, recalled 11 years after his last Test for England, will be one of four spinners in the squad - which will be named later this morning - with Duckett rewarded for his superb performances for England Lions and his county.

Lancashire opener Haseeb Hameed and Surrey all-rounder Zafar Ansari are also likely to be included

Hameed, 19, has been a sensation at the top of the Lancashire order and he and Duckett will battle it out to partner captain Alastair Cook.

The pair offer contrasting styles, Hameed being a patient innings-builder, Duckett an aggressive, free-flowing batsman much like Alex Hales, who opted to miss the tour over security concerns.

Duckett has scored nearly 1400 runs in Division Two this season, averaging 60.82. His innings of 220 not out from 131 balls, including 29 fours and six maximums, for the Lions against Sri Lanka A was one of the most memorable of the summer.

The inclusion of Moeen Ali, Adil Rashid, Ansari and Batty would mean England will have four spinners to chose from.

Batty has played seven Tests for England, the last back in 2005 against Bangladesh in June 2005 at Chester-le-Street. He has been in decent form for Surrey this season, taking 41 wickets at 31.22

Ansari should have gone on last year's winter tour to the UAE to face Pakistan, but had to pull out with a dislocated thumb

Northants opener Ben Duckett and Surrey skipper Gareth Batty are expected to be named in England’s Test squad for the tour of Bangladesh, according to Sky sources.

Batty, recalled 11 years after his last Test for England, will be one of four spinners in the squad - which will be named later this morning - with Duckett rewarded for his superb performances for England Lions and his county.

Lancashire opener Haseeb Hameed and Surrey all-rounder Zafar Ansari are also likely to be included

Hameed, 19, has been a sensation at the top of the Lancashire order and he and Duckett will battle it out to partner captain Alastair Cook.

The pair offer contrasting styles, Hameed being a patient innings-builder, Duckett an aggressive, free-flowing batsman much like Alex Hales, who opted to miss the tour over security concerns.

Duckett has scored nearly 1400 runs in Division Two this season, averaging 60.82. His innings of 220 not out from 131 balls, including 29 fours and six maximums, for the Lions against Sri Lanka A was one of the most memorable of the summer.

The inclusion of Moeen Ali, Adil Rashid, Ansari and Batty would mean England will have four spinners to chose from.

Batty has played seven Tests for England, the last back in 2005 against Bangladesh in June 2005 at Chester-le-Street. He has been in decent form for Surrey this season, taking 41 wickets at 31.22

Ansari should have gone on last year's winter tour to the UAE to face Pakistan, but had to pull out with a dislocated thumb

Rayner of Middlesex would be a lot better choice than Batty, he's done well on decent wickets and is one of the best slip fielders in the country and catches win matches

Have a soft spot for Somerset out of the 3 contenders so this is a little bias - but do feel the contrived finish of a declaration and a run chase dirties this slightly (obviously in a years time the record books won't care) but none of the other games throughout the season had such grandstand set ups to ensure a result. Why different standards for the last game?

If 2 football clubs went into the last game against each other both needing a win and agreed not to field defenders or some such contrivance there would be outrage.

Have a soft spot for Somerset out of the 3 contenders so this is a little bias - but do feel the contrived finish of a declaration and a run chase dirties this slightly (obviously in a years time the record books won't care) but none of the other games throughout the season had such grandstand set ups to ensure a result. Why different standards for the last game?

If 2 football clubs went into the last game against each other both needing a win and agreed not to field defenders or some such contrivance there would be outrage.
They both needed to win though so are hardly going to play out a draw knowing neither can get a chance at the title

They both needed to win though so are hardly going to play out a draw knowing neither can get a chance at the title

I know and tomorrow that will be fine. And out of the two I am happy that Middlesex got across the line as well.

It is just at the moment it feels wrong that a 3rd party is screwed over by a result and a contrivance that, if the game was being played in July, wouldn't have been determined or manipulated in such a fashion.

I know it is the nature of cricket but it just feels somewhat wrong that 4 day games can be re-arranged by internal mutual consent to force a result through a 40 over shoot-out and that games at different times of the season don't have, by default therefore, equal value.

The Germany-Austria contrivance in 1982 where the draw was enough to get them both through in the WC at Algeria's expense comes to mind, although this is not so cynical as they were both playing for a positive result and one was going to lose, but it treated the honest interests of a 3rd party with disregard still.

I know and tomorrow that will be fine. And out of the two I am happy that Middlesex got across the line as well.

It is just at the moment it feels wrong that a 3rd party is screwed over by a result and a contrivance that, if the game was being played in July, wouldn't have been determined or manipulated in such a fashion.

I know it is the nature of cricket but it just feels somewhat wrong that 4 day games can be re-arranged by internal mutual consent to force a result through a 40 over shoot-out and that games at different times of the season don't have, by default therefore, equal value.

The Germany-Austria contrivance in 1982 where the draw was enough to get them both through in the WC at Algeria's expense comes to mind, although this is not so cynical as they were both playing for a positive result and one was going to lose, but it treated the honest interests of a 3rd party with disregard still.

I tend to agree......but Marcus Trescothick would have done exactly the same thing in those circumstances.

I tend to agree......but Marcus Trescothick would have done exactly the same thing in those circumstances.

No doubt.

Honestly - I'm not attacking Franklin or Lyth (?) or the fact for those 2 teams it was the right way to end the match or the season. Just it doesn't sit easily with me as "fair" or with the integrity of a league competition.

No doubt.

Honestly - I'm not attacking Franklin or Lyth (?) or the fact for those 2 teams it was the right way to end the match or the season. Just it doesn't sit easily with me as "fair" or with the integrity of a league competition.

Just wasn't cricket was it? And I'm not joking.

Back