• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Conte In/Out Poll

Conte?

• In

Votes: 42 45.7%
  • Out - Pochettino

Votes: 32 34.8%
  • Out - Other

Votes: 18 19.6%

• Total voters
Richarlison and Kulusevski are perfect for him. Kane and Son can either step back up to their old selves, or be replaced and phased out over the next few years.

Kane and Son are too old to get back to how they were in terms of pressing. I'd like to see Poch again but after Kane has left. That could even be this summer if we don't want to lose him for nothing.

Kane and Son are too old to get back to how they were in terms of pressing. I'd like to see Poch again but after Kane has left. That could even be this summer if we don't want to lose him for nothing.
I agree. As amazing as Kane is, for Poch to have a real 2nd go I think it might be better if it were completely fresh, maybe post Kane and Son.

Some will argue we’d need Kane to make any sort of challenge, but Arsenal have challenged with Jesus and Nketiah up top.

That’s the idea of a rebuild - it will just take time and patience. We’ve tried the other method and that hasn’t worked either (although we are still in 2 comps (and I’ve seen worse teams than us lift trophies)).

You think? Let’s look at it - players here before Poch:
Kane/Lamela/Lloris/Dembele/Verts/Rose/Walker/Eriksen - for me that’s the core of our best team. Take a look at his signings, we had dele/Wanyama/Alderweireld/dier and Sonny. Care to name his other 22? I see the names of Fazio, N’Jie etc and I’m hardly filled with confidence.

My point was the core of his team was already here for him to build around, his success rate of bringing in the right sort of players is 1 success for every 5 transfers so I don’t think he is the guy unless our current team is setup for his high work/high press tactics.

That is not to say with the right team in place he wouldn’t have us playing fantastic attacking football, I just don’t believe personally that’s us today.

Kane was a kid with no track record to speak of.

Dembele has flattered to deceive for several seasons. He was nowhere near the player he turned into under Poch.

At the time, there were big question marks over Jan from the fan base. His commitment was questioned. Even the previous manager, admittedly an idiot, had a go at him.

Rose was nowhere near the player Poch turned him into. And, in fact, he’s been nowhere near that player since Poch left. Had he left in 2014, no one would have shed a tear.

Eriksen was a bit hit and miss. AVB had dropped him at least a couple of times.

Then you have Dele. Poch took him as a kid, put him in the team and turned him into a star. He’s been nowhere near as good since.

Dier? Came in as an average defender, Poch made him a DM lynchpin for a season that made Utd want to spend 50m on him. Since then? Mediocre.

It’s all very well looking at that team and thinking about how good all those players were at their best and saying Poch got lucky. It doesn’t work that way. Many of them achieved nothing before he came in and several did fudge all in their careers after he left. That’s proof for me that his coaching had a massive impact on how good that team was. It wasn’t the only factor but it’s stretching credibility to its outer limits to put his tenure down to luck.

Is he the right guy today? Maybe not. My heart is ruling my head on this one. But when he came in in 2014, Kaboul, Adebayor and Soldado weren’t lads you could build a pressing team around. It needed a clear out and for someone to show faith in talented youngsters. Maybe that wouldn’t be the worst thing if Conte leaves. We have a some very talented youngsters (Spence, Udogie, Gil, Porro, Romero, Skipp, Sarr, Kulu etc) who just might gel and flourish under the right manager.

Last edited:
Kane was a kid with no track record to speak of.

Dembele has flattered to deceive for several seasons. He was nowhere near the player he turned into under Poch.

At the time, there were big question marks over Jan from the fan base. His commitment was questioned. Even the previous manager, admittedly an idiot, had a go at him.

Rose was nowhere near the player Poch turned him into. And, in fact, he’s been nowhere near that player since Poch left. Had he left in 2014, no one would have shed a tear.

Eriksen was a bit hit and miss. AVB had dropped him at least a couple of times.

Then you have Dele. Poch took him as a kid, put him in the team and turned him into a star. He’s been nowhere near as good since.

Dier? Came in as an average defender, Poch made him a DM lynchpin for a season that made Utd want to spend 50m on him. Since then? Mediocre.

It’s all very well looking at that team and thinking about how good all those players were at their best and saying Poch got lucky. It doesn’t work that way. Many of them achieved nothing before he came in and several did fudge all in their careers after he left. That’s proof for me that his coaching had a massive impact on how good that team was. It wasn’t the only factor but it’s stretching credibility to its outer limits to put his tenure down to luck.

Is he the right guy today? Maybe not. My heart is ruling my head on this one. But when he came in in 2014, Kaboul, Adebayor and Soldado weren’t lads you could build a pressing team around. It needed a clear out and for someone to show faith in talented youngsters. Maybe that wouldn’t be the worst thing if Conte leaves. We have a some very talented youngsters (Spence, Udogie, Gil, Porro, Romero, Skipp, Sarr, Kulu etc) who just might gel and flourish under the right manager.

No doubt Pochettino did a fantastic job improving many players, both players already at the club and some of the new signings while he was here.

But also no doubt that some of the players already here when he took over had fantastic potential. In that specific regard, "lucky". But most managers wouldn't be able to take advantage of that luck like he did, so definitely not only luck.

I wouldn't be against Pochettino coming back, but think post Kane may be better timing.

We wouldn't have the same transfer committee around him if he came back and that can only be a good thing. I would like for there to be a really good DoF in place if he comes back.

No doubt Pochettino did a fantastic job improving many players, both players already at the club and some of the new signings while he was here.

But also no doubt that some of the players already here when he took over had fantastic potential. In that specific regard, "lucky". But most managers wouldn't be able to take advantage of that luck like he did, so definitely not only luck.

I wouldn't be against Pochettino coming back, but think post Kane may be better timing.

We wouldn't have the same transfer committee around him if he came back and that can only be a good thing. I would like for there to be a really good DoF in place if he comes back.

Poch I's key signings were made in summer 2012 - i.e. two years before he started. Specifically Lloris, Vertoghen and Dembele.

I think January and Summer 2022 could prove to be the same for Poch II (Bentancur, Kulusevski, Richarlison, Udogie, Spence)

And re Kane - maybe you just let Poch use the £100m this summer to buy a new Eriksen, a new Vertoghen (and Ferguson from Brighton for the longer term).

Poch I's key signings were made in summer 2012 - i.e. two years before he started. Specifically Lloris, Vertoghen and Dembele.

I think January and Summer 2022 could prove to be the same for Poch II (Bentancur, Kulusevski, Richarlison, Udogie, Spence)

And re Kane - maybe you just let Poch use the £100m this summer to buy a new Eriksen, a new Vertoghen (and Ferguson from Brighton for the longer term).

To get to the long term you need some level of success in the short and medium term.

To get that level of success I think we need to spend well in key areas come the summer. We don't know which transfer decisions that were mostly down to Pochettino before, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that he's at best unproven at bigger money, more immediate impact signings.

Sure, get Pochettino if Conte leaves. There are other good options, but he's one of them. But don't let him spend any money without a proper DoF and scouting network in place.

To get to the long term you need some level of success in the short and medium term.

To get that level of success I think we need to spend well in key areas come the summer. We don't know which transfer decisions that were mostly down to Pochettino before, but I don't think it's a stretch to say that he's at best unproven at bigger money, more immediate impact signings.

Sure, get Pochettino if Conte leaves. There are other good options, but he's one of them. But don't let him spend any money without a proper DoF and scouting network in place.

Absolutely. Poch always said he was never that interested in transfers. But he definitely needs someone good who he trusts.

Hopefully Paratici instead of Hitchin will make a big difference here.

Absolutely. Poch always said he was never that interested in transfers. But he definitely needs someone good who he trusts.

Hopefully Paratici instead of Hitchin will make a big difference here.

Personally I'm still hoping for Conte to get things right here.

The uncertainty over Paratici makes things more difficult. But a Paratici level DoF and Pochettino definitely isn't a bad plan to fall back on if Conte doesn't succeed.

Anyone think MP would come back the way Levy let him go? I would not work for a man that sacked me that way…

They supposedly made up within a couple of months of the sacking and are reportedly still in regular contact. It's getting on for 10 years now they've known each other, so I doubt it's still an issue.

Also Poch is practically trolling everyone at the moment with his daily 'here's what I'm doing today with my mates/wife IN NORTH LONDON' social media posts.

Also Poch is practically trolling everyone at the moment with his daily 'here's what I'm doing today with my mates/wife IN NORTH LONDON' social media posts.

Well if Poch is advertising himself for a job that is already occupied it’s fairly bricky behaviour on his part. Though I suspect it’s more a case of some people losing the run of their imagination.

Well if Poch is advertising himself for a job that is already occupied it’s fairly bricky behaviour on his part. Though I suspect it’s more a case of some people losing the run of their imagination.

Yeh, look the bloke lives in that area and loves it here, he is probably just enjoying his time away from work

I say stick. Conte earned his Spurs last season when he got us top four against the odds. Around this time last year many of us were 100% convinced we had no chance of making CL, we were ninth in the table and playing utter brick. So who's to say he won't pull a rabbit out of the hat once again this time round? Plus maybe also get us a trophy? We flunked a final after sacking a serial trophy-winner in Mourinho, let's not make the same mistake again.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

They supposedly made up within a couple of months of the sacking and are reportedly still in regular contact. It's getting on for 10 years now they've known each other, so I doubt it's still an issue.

4B6FFA0B-5870-450F-AEE8-38748CBFE5BF.jpeg :D

some of the players already here when he took over had fantastic potential.

We wouldn't have the same transfer committee around him if he came back and that can only be a good thing.

:)

I agree, Poch's greatest failing really, were the signings he oversaw at the end. He took ultimate control, but blew a huge sum on ineffective players. We're still hamstrung by them now. Arguably the bargain singings Spurs made prior to Poch or those made at the begining of his tenure, were far more effective.

We actually need to get back to that mode where we are an organisation focused on uncovering the very best talent - before everyone knows it. We can spend bigger now, and try to buy the very best young players to crack the elite. We won't outspend Saudi Sportswashing Machine, City, Chelsea short-term, so we need to go back to the 'hacking the system' model, where we grab those with most potential befoer others do. And then suppliment that with core experienced players (who can be young players with first team experience like say Gvardiol). A LBC who's real quality would elevate the team imo.

I say stick. Conte earned his Spurs last season when he got us top four against the odds. Around this time last year many of us were 100% convinced we had no chance of making CL, we were ninth in the table and playing utter brick. So who's to say he won't pull a rabbit out of the hat once again this time round? Plus maybe also get us a trophy? We flunked a final after sacking a serial trophy-winner in Mourinho, let's not make the same mistake again.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I would agree, IF he comes back from his break wanting to carry on his work then imo he should be given the chance to do so.

Back