• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Comic Book Thread

Boonie

Ramon Vega
As a follow on from stuff mentioned in the IMAX thread I thought those of us with a love for comic books could share some of our favorites.

My top 10 (Not in any order)

100 Bullets
Sleeper
Criminal
Watchmen
Frank Miller's Batman series
The Killing Joke
The Long Halloween
Absolute Superman:For Tomorrow
Scalped
Queen and Country

Good stuff, in no order:

The Walking Dead
Madman
Watchmen
Preacher
All-Star Superman
Grant Morrisons run on Batman (RIP etc)
Punisher MAX
Batman: Hush
Leob and Sale Batman (Long Halloween, Dark Victory)

Garth Ennis is probably my favourite writer atm.

Never been a big fan of Marvel stuff myself, I would recommend the Punisher Max series, it's very dark and gritty and not like Marvel at all for me. I read Civil War a while back and was really let down by it, considering it was kinda' the same scale as DC's Crisis stories, they are epic too.

Also forgot to add The Boys to my list as that is pretty fun, not something to read on the train into work mind.

When I was a lot younger I used to be a big fan of Rogue Trooper, and early Judge Dredd.

Absolute favorite storyline from Dredd was "Requiem for a Fatty", where illegal appetite enhancers are being used on competitors in the World Eating Championships, and after an overdose one of the competitors dies from eating his bed! There are some great parodies of boxing trainers/promoters, Mr Universe/bodybuilding shows, and the desire of people to win by all means fair and foul! Very funny, very good!

200AD was fantastic, I had the first 200 or so issues which my Mum threw away about 20 years ago. I Dread (pardon the pun) to think what they would be worth now. All were read once then put into comic covers, Yes I was that Anal.

200AD was fantastic, I had the first 200 or so issues which my Mum threw away about 20 years ago. I Dread (pardon the pun) to think what they would be worth now. All were read once then put into comic covers, Yes I was that Anal.

Between ?ú3 and ?ú50 each I'm afraid!!!

Ive got about 300 Roy of the Rovers comics stored away in airtight containers in my parents loft along with loads of annuals too

312020241_4c4195e8a4_b.jpg

Batman: Hush
Dark Knight Returns
Chris Claremont's Wolverine
Watchmen
The Marvel 'Civil War' series was pretty cool
Slaine: The Horned GHod
Slaine: Treasures of Britain
ABC Warriors: Khronicles of Khaos
Marvel 1602
Neil Gaiman's Sandman Chronicles
Hellblazer series (John Constantine)

Superman: For Tomorrow is on my 'to get' list.

Forgot about Dark Knight Returns, easily my favourite comic version of The Joker.

Prequel to Watchmen is out soon I think, anyone bothering with that?

Can anyone advise on specific issues/runs to get going on?

New to comic books and have to say its daunting to try and work out where to "jump in"

I read Watchmen a few years back, have worked through The Walking Dead, am half way through Kick Ass - but all are pretty straight forward.

When it comes to things like Batman (a big favourite of mine) its confusing to work out where to start.

Although I did read the Dark Knight (I think? THe one where he comes out of retirement and fight Superman at the end) which stood in isolation well.

Can anyone advise on specific issues/runs to get going on?

New to comic books and have to say its daunting to try and work out where to "jump in"

I read Watchmen a few years back, have worked through The Walking Dead, am half way through Kick Ass - but all are pretty straight forward.

When it comes to things like Batman (a big favourite of mine) its confusing to work out where to start.

Although I did read the Dark Knight (I think? THe one where he comes out of retirement and fight Superman at the end) which stood in isolation well.

The essential Batman starter graphic novels IMO are:

Year one
The long Halloween
Dark victory

They are all set in year one and are a good place to start.

One shots like the dark knight returns, killing joke, man who laughs are all great but not really in the overall timeline. Knightfall is also an essential batman story to own, especially with the film coming up in July.

Batman Year One is a good point to start if you liked The Dark Knight. Also The Killing Joke and Joker: Dark Knight.

As I have said 100 Bullets is excellent but ran over 10 years so is quite a few quid to collect, try Sleeper, you can get these in volumes and there is about 5-6 books.

The essential Batman starter graphic novels IMO are:

Year one
The long Halloween
Dark victory

They are all set in year one and are a good place to start.

One shots like the dark knight returns, killing joke, man who laughs are all great but not really in the overall timeline. Knightfall is also an essential batman story to own, especially with the film coming up in July.

Thanks, so do I read them in that order? Is there any pre-reading required? What is year one?

This is precisely why Ive stuck to the "one offs" so far!

Batman Year One is a good point to start if you liked The Dark Knight. Also The Killing Joke and Joker: Dark Knight.

As I have said 100 Bullets is excellent but ran over 10 years so is quite a few quid to collect, try Sleeper, you can get these in volumes and there is about 5-6 books.

100 Bullets sounds like hard work right now, what is Sleeper?

I did also read Venom : Dark Origin and thought it was crap, if you havent already dont bother with that one!

Wierd this thread popped up, just borrowed V for Vendetta off the missus, have never really read something like this. Having been wanting to read watchmen for ages.

Will return once I've got in to it as I'm finishing the novel I'm currently reading first..

Last edited:
I don't read a lot outside of Marvel, though I grab them every month. Watchmen and Kick Ass were great though. Oh and I do grab a monthly DC one which is the 52 reboot.

Back