• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of the PL era - centre forward

Who is the best centre forward to play for Spurs in the Premier League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

milo

Jack L. Jones
A quick recap of what we are doing

Right. It's time to stop moping and choose the best Spurs team of the Premier League era.

We'll have a different thread for each position over the coming weeks. The thread will be open for a while for nominations and the most frequently mentioned players will be going into a poll on the same thread.

The only criteria to be nominated is that the player must have played for Spurs in the Premier League.

The team will line up 4-2-3-1.

Reminiscing about favourite players past and present is encouraged.

Anyone who comes into the thread, doesn't read what we're doing and posts their full best team of all time, gets laughed at.

This is the line up so far.
010716214631.png

The last position up for grabs - striker.

Have a chat about who you think is best. A poll will be added when it looks like we have a few players to pick between.

Keane for me, at his best Klinsmann was better but Keane did it for so long.

Also he helped us improve, he was far too good for us when we signed him.

I loved Keane and i was at a bikers rally the day he signed for us and i heard it over the radio, i can not remember any signing that made me happier. Defoe our fifth top scorer of all time ( our highest in Europe) deserves a mention as well. However for me it would have to be Berby, so much class in everything he did.

Keane for me, at his best Klinsmann was better but Keane did it for so long.

Also he helped us improve, he was far too good for us when we signed him.

My shortlist would be the 3Ks - Klinsmann, Keane and Kane.

And yes - Keane's longevity means he would be my winner. I think, after King, he was our outstanding player of the 00s decade.

Possibly the most difficult decision.

Keane and Defoe have been good strikers over a long period of time and are high in our all time lists. Klinsmann and Berbatov (in no particular order) were probably our best strikers, but only for a short while. Klinsmann did a lot elsewhere to justify the title of the best striker to play for us in the PL, but Berbatov played his best stuff with us rather than elsewhere.

As for loyalty arguments, Klinsmann used us and left us, Berbatov betrayed us, and Keane suddenly found his boyhood love for Liverpool. Defoe left us both times because he wasn't getting games and wanted to play.

P.S. It's strange that three of the four had two spells with us. Strangely another striker already the team did also. How many players have we had do this? I can only think of Hazard (Jennings was ceremonial).

Last edited:
If people have voted for Toby as one of our centre halves, how can you not pick Kane for the number 9 role? He is easily the best player we have had in that position. None of the others got 20+ Premier League goals in consecutive seasons. Berbatov is up there with Campbell in quntishness, no ta.

I don't see why Kane should be omitted.

Kane: 123 appearance/63 goals (0.51 gpg)
Berbatov: 101/46 (0.46)
Klinsmann: 68/38 (0.56)
Source

You right he should not, but as well as scoring goals Berby also had a few assists something that is lacking ( at the moment in Kane's game).

Yes, it's not just about goals scored. I posted the numbers because some said it was too early to include Kane. If people judge him good enough overall to make the list he has the numbers.

Berbatov made Keane much better. Defoe had less chances, but was also better alongside Berbatov. If we were picking our best strike partnership I would pick Berbatov and Keane, but I can't see how I can pick Keane or Defoe over the player who made them better. Berbatov will be my pick.

Over time I'd go with Keane but if based on ability alone it would be berbatov. Hard to seperate them. It was horrible losing both of them at once in 08, think any club would struggle to pick themselves up after that.

I'm a bit surprised at the love for Keane; he frustrated me no end when he spent half the game pointing and shouting and dummying it to their centre half.

I think Klinnsman was the class act on the world stage, he was the best player when you take your Spurs glasses off

I'm a bit surprised at the love for Keane; he frustrated me no end when he spent half the game pointing and shouting and dummying it to their centre half.

I think Klinnsman was the class act on the world stage, he was the best player when you take your Spurs glasses off

That was a bit of a cliché from his second stint at the club when his powers were fading.

He was an exceptional forward who carried us offensively for nearly all the 00s.

Back