• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of the PL era - centre back

Who are the best two centre backs to play for Spurs in the Premier League

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Three stand out based on their play: Mabbutt, Campbell and King. I think Mabbutt played through to 1996, but I was abroad and saw little of Spurs in the 90s (some reports suggest I was lucky).

Alderweireld could well be one of the greats, but he has had one season. If he stays long enough, I'd be happy to count him in, but not now.

The criteria states he only has to have played for Spurs in the Premier league so if you think he's good enough stick him in.
If Campbell is allowed he would go in alongside King, obviously he's not so it's Ledley and Toby for me with honourable mentions to Woodgate and Mabs.

Actually the only stated criterion is that he played in the Premier League, there is no stated requirement that he is any good.

The only criteria to be nominated is that the player must have played for Spurs in the Premier League.

So it is up to everyone to determine their criteria for selection or non-selection. For me consistency over a period of time has to be part of it, rather than one good, even excellent, season. I also tend to exclude current players because we can't judge their Spurs career as a whole. The one I'm pondering is whether Campbell's behaviour disqualifies him.

P.S. Anyone know how many fouls Alderweireld ended up with? I read he had only committed nine after 36 games, which is incredible.

article-0-09727B92000005DC-565_468x390.jpg

Mabbutt should make the shortlist, but his best years were just before 1992

Alder would challenge Dawson if he puts in 2 more years the same as the last

Actually the only stated criterion is that he played in the Premier League, there is no stated requirement that he is any good.

So it is up to everyone to determine their criteria for selection or non-selection. For me consistency over a period of time has to be part of it, rather than one good, even excellent, season. I also tend to exclude current players because we can't judge their Spurs career as a whole. The one I'm pondering is whether Campbell's behaviour disqualifies him.

The criteria is that they have to have played in the Premier League for us but because we are picking our best PL team, their form after 1992 has to be a consideration.

We've had a lot of CBs who have had one good season with us, one excellent season in fact. Dawson 09/10, Kaboul 11/12, Naybet 04/05...Alderweireld might be crap next year. Woodgate at least had a decent 18 months so he wins for me.

Y
Very small-time if Campbell's being airbrushed out.
You could say that. Or you could say that having treated the club that brought him through the ranks,and the fans that worshipped him,with such disdain and disloyalty and f*ck-you-ism, that he is naturally excluded from any best-ever team. That approach has no problem with me.

Is there anyone that we should add to?

King
Mabbutt
Woodgate
Alderweireld
Naybet
Gallas
Dawson
Vertonghen

If Campbell wasn't Campbell, he would be in there next to King.

As it is, for me it is Toby and The King.

Honourable mentions to Gary Mabbutt and Michael Dawson.

Also think Naybet is a bit over-rated. Played in a very defensive Santini team and then quite a solid, pragmatic Jol side iirc . Am I remembering this wrong? I might be. IMO, he wouldn't handle playing in the more expansive Redknapp team or our aggressive, high-press Poch team of today.

King was brilliant in any lineup and Toby would be too imo.

*edited coz I did remember wrong re. other players in the side..

At his peak Naybet was world class, when he arrived at Spurs he was pretty much finished as a top player. Still he brought experience and had a great hand in King's development. Spurs defence was all over the place before he joined us, with kids and mediocre players who didn't know what to do

At his peak Naybet was world class, when he arrived at Spurs he was pretty much finished as a top player. Still he brought experience and had a great hand in King's development. Spurs defence was all over the place before he joined us, with kids and mediocre players who didn't know what to do

He was great in his first season and really helped settle us down and develop King

My views on this are simple - Sol and Ledley. I know Sol was a blah blah blah blah - and he betrayed us. If not Sol, then Ledley and Woodgate.

Back