• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of the PL era - centre back

Who are the best two centre backs to play for Spurs in the Premier League

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
should have got in to this earlier but i think Alderwiereld shouldn't have been included as he's only been here one season - as great as he has been this season i don't think it's enough time to warrant be included in an all time premier league side. and if we're talking purely in terms of ability then it's hard to look past Judas by that criteria...

for me it's King & Dawson

Agree. Neither Alder nor Woodgate played enough games.

2 more years at the same level and Alder will be clear 2nd, but at the minute he doesn't get close to the decade-long contribution of Dawson

Agree. Neither Alder nor Woodgate played enough games.

2 more years at the same level and Alder will be clear 2nd, but at the minute he doesn't get close to the decade-long contribution of Dawson

Dawson over Vertonghen?

If this summer you could swap Vertonghen for a prime age Dawson in a straight swap would you go for it?

Dawson over Vertonghen?

If this summer you could swap Vertonghen for a prime age Dawson in a straight swap would you go for it?

Yes - I'd definitely prefer Dawson at his peak (c.05-11) to Verts now.

You have to think about partnerships though. Dawson or Alder as the power/first challenge player, with King or Verts as the cultured/covering player. I don't think Dawson-Alder would be a good pairing.

I feel dirty.

King (obviously) and RSol. Woodgate was a great defender, and I think King-Woodgate was the best CB partnership I've ever seen. But he didn't play anywhere near enough games to be a club legend. Alderweireld is pretty damn good, and I'd probably vote for him next season if he continues the way he did this time out. Verts just not quite as good, and while I absolutely love Dawson, he was limited.

Which leaves RSol. He was an absolute beast -- quick, great in the tackle, dominant in the air, with reasonable dribbling and distribution. Shame he's a clam.

Right. I'm off to wash my hands after typing that.

Yes - I'd definitely prefer Dawson at his peak (c.05-11) to Verts now.

You have to think about partnerships though. Dawson or Alder as the power/first challenge player, with King or Verts as the cultured/covering player. I don't think Dawson-Alder would be a good pairing.

King and Vertonghen would be awesome.

Had Vertonghen made half the mistakes Alderweireld made in the last month of the season people would be all over it and probably adding a few imagined mistakes in the mix. Dawson wasn't on their level even at his peak, and was off peak a lot more than Vertonghen has been.

King and Vertonghen would be awesome.

Had Vertonghen made half the mistakes Alderweireld made in the last month of the season people would be all over it and probably adding a few imagined mistakes in the mix. Dawson wasn't on their level even at his peak, and was off peak a lot more than Vertonghen has been.

I think King and Verts are too similar too. You need someone who is more on the front foot, who aggressively goes for the first balls more.

I think Dawson gets dismissed because he stayed a year or two too long. But he was a real stalwart for many years. Remember he also played in a time when the EPL and its forwards were at a higher standard than they are now

I think King and Verts are too similar too. You need someone who is more on the front foot, who aggressively goes for the first balls more.

I think Dawson gets dismissed because he stayed a year or two too long. But he was a real stalwart for many years. Remember he also played in a time when the EPL and its forwards were at a higher standard than they are now

Agreed. Dawson was a key member of the teams that achieved 69/70/72 points under AVB/Harry. The only year he didn't play much was 2011/12 when he was injured for a good portion of the season. He was in the team that kept clean sheets over 2 legs against Milan...but some people still think he was out of his depth o_O

I feel dirty.

Which leaves RSol. He was an absolute beast -- quick, great in the tackle, dominant in the air, with reasonable dribbling and distribution. Shame he's a clam.

Right. I'm off to wash my hands after typing that.

King would be the best I have seen and love

Campbell would be the best I have seen

I voted for King though

Dawson over Vertonghen?

No chance at all for me, Dawson would run through a brick wall for Spurs but in all honesty he was a limited player. Verts is head and shoulders above him imo.

If Verts had Daws heart, imagine that player

Well I keep hearing from some fans that Jan's body language is all wrong :confused: but I understand what you mean. Dawson was another Perryman who loved the club and would give their all no matter what, however the vast majority of players are not of that ilk.

You do feel filthy saying it, but Ledders and Judas as a partnership in their prime would've been absolutely incredible...

Back