• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - left back

Who is the best left back to play for Spurs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Great post, seems like you know your onions. Most of us on here can't compare Ron Henry to others, so I'll take your word for it and go with him.

Didn't he also have some great history... And a grandson that was a youth player?

PS. Just remembered Ben Thatcher. Dear me. At one point it seemed we aspired to be Wimbledon.

I believe that at one point that was what Sugar aspired for us to be. The gonad* faced clam.

I've caved in to popular opinion and switched formation to 4-2-3-1 which should make it easier(ish) to pick the places further forward.

A good decision it fits the early history up to the classic 60s teams and the modern game.

Ron Henry every time. He wasn't just steady and reliable, he was a fcuking rock. No player I've watched since has been such a cert in the tackle, he seemed nigh on impassable.

Some might argue Ron never got forward enough but with the likes of Mackay and Dyson in front of him and an attack that scored goals for fun why would he need to? It was at the back where he was needed and that's where he excelled.

Knowles was great, something of an entertainer, a real folk hero, fans loved him for the way he could recover once beaten and fly into the tackle (often taking the player with him) but let's be honest he was also prone to the occasional coc k-up, something you could never say of Henry.

Chris Hughton was decent overall but there were times when the crowd would get on his back.

Pat Van Den Hauwe was probably the hardest of them all, a fearsome tackler who if he didn't get the ball he usually got the man, but you'd have to say by the time he joined us from Everton his best days were already past.

Ziege was strong in the tackle and his free-kicks were guided missiles but he was too in-and-out of the team to have made enough of an impact.

BAE in his prime was awesome, though another who always had a brainfart in him.

Bale was brilliant getting forward but never quite so solid at the back. Like Walker he relied heavily on turbo to make up for a lack of positional awareness. But like Mackay, Bale has to be fitted in somewhere - hopefully in our attacking line-up.

I love Rose for the way he so resolutely imposes himself on his opponent but whilst he's excellent at getting forward to support our attacks his crossing still leaves something to be desired.

So it has to be Henry for me - every time.

Fantastic post, but I'm still voting for Knowles. He was part of my first team and, while I will make votes purely on a historical basis, even your eloquent case for Henry is not enough here.

S

Danny Thomas played on both sides; shame his career was cut short (Maguire you count) because I think he would have got a mention too.

Is our long list Henry, Knowles, Hughton, Ziege and BAE?

Ziege wasn't that good over a long enough period to be considered. Over his entire career I agree but not career at Spurs. If he's in with a shout then so is Danny Rose.

Am not old enough to have seen Henry or Knowles so I'd have to go for Hughton

Ziege wasn't that good over a long enough period to be considered. Over his entire career I agree but not career at Spurs. If he's in with a shout then so is Danny Rose.

Am not old enough to have seen Henry or Knowles so I'd have to go for Hughton

Add Rose or drop Ziege, I'm easy. Whoever shouts loudest before MotD starts can have their way.

Ziege was silky, but wasn't that good defensively imo. More suited to being a wing-back in Ghod's team, a good technical player. But no way could he make an all-time XI alongside the club legends that have been picked for the side!

Going for Cyril, based on what I've been told and what I've read.

And if BAE or Ziege are being mentioned, I'd put Rose above either of them. Remember the goal v Arsenal?! And that was before he became an established player!

I'm happy to run the poll with just Henry, Knowles and Hughton if we think that they are the best three and we are dropping the bar too low by adding others.

I don't think that anyone has made a convincing case for Ziege, BAE or Rose, so they are going to miss out.

My vote is up for grabs here. Hughton is the only one of the three that I have seen. I have heard very good things about both Knowles and Henry. So how should I vote and why?

People, you can't say "I didn't see Henry so must vote for Hughton"

You didn't see Greaves and Mackay but you'll still vote for them, surely?!

Read Spur of the moment's post #39 on the previous page for details of Henry vs Knowles vs Hughton

Has to be Knowles for me, over 500 games for us and winning four trophys. I will never forget his free kick goal against Utd I was behind the goal and we went mad.

Back