• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best Spurs team of all time - central midfield

Who are the best central midfielders to play for Spurs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hoddle is the most talented midfielder most of us (and other player/pundits) agree on. Just depends for this question if you are counting him, or he goes into the behind the striker role.

Modric has to be included, as much as people want to be sentimental about older players, Modric was a monster for us, and went on to be a truly WC player for Madrid.

For most people memories, Modric/Carrick is probably the deep 2 in CM.

I'm leaning towards Mackay and Modric. I have no idea what kind of player Blanchflower was other than supposedly being a bright fella. Anyone old enough to fill me in?

I remember watching Danny from the Shelf in a game against Preston in the early '60s that we won something like 5-0 or 5-1, cannot remember the exact score, when he went on a run from around the half way line and Gazza-like mesmerised their defenders with his trickery on the ball, dancing through and around them one after another without allowing any of them to get touch on the ball. I recall gasping at the sheer wizardry of it, the way he nonchalantly feinted this way and dummied that as he cut a swathe through their defence before dinking the ball into the box for Johnny White to run onto, something he did with regularity.

But for me the real point about captain Blanchflower wasn't just that he was immensely gifted on the ball, nor even the way he brought his exceptional vision and tactical awareness to bear so effectively on the field of play. No, it was more than anything else the sheer power of his influence on the team overall and on the positive way they played throughout. In essence, Sir Billy Nich was the architect off the pitch but Danny was the supremo on it.

At the beginning of the 1960-61 season, even before a ball had been kicked in anger, he went on record saying boldly that Tottenham would win the Double. At the time the Double had come to be seen as well-nigh impossible. Season after season the most dominant club of the year had come close, but always it had eluded them at the death, the psychological barrier seemingly always proving just too much.

I remember thinking at the time, absolutely no way, the fact he'd come out and said it was in itself the kiss of death. Remember we'd only finished third the previous season, fading away badly in the run-in. But Blanchflower kept on insisting as the results began to stack up that this was the target the whole team were aiming at. He believed we were good enough and that he could see no reason why we wouldn't win it. It was this kind of conviction that looking back you can see had coursed right through the team to the extent they played TO it, believing, you sensed, it was almost their duty to step up and make it happen.

I could happily reminisce until the cows come home about the wizardry both mental and physical of Danny Blanchflower but suffice it to say, I remain convinced to this day if it hadn't been for the transcending power of Danny's influence on the '60-61 side we simply would not have won the Double.

Last edited:
We weren't far off the double the year after too. And, I just read that Danny B was voted footballer of the year twice as well. He must have been some player.

And he was captain when we became the first English team to win a European trophy. A real Spurs legend.

It's just before my time, but didn't the mid-80s team line-up:

----Hoddle------Ardiles

Waddle----P Allen-------Hodge

--------------C Allen

I.e not Hoddle in the #10?

I was a kid but it was more of a flat 5 than you see these day's iirc
^ A lot of people on here won't have seen Gascoigne, never mind Mackay, though. What's their basis for voting?

the painstaking hours of research and study of our glorious history

We will select Greaves as striker, despite not seeing him, so don't worry about having seen them play. Just put in McKay and Blanchflower. Ghod can play further forwards.

That's fair enough, but in 79-80 he scored 19 league goals and 22 in all competitions, so he must have played further forward at some stage? We need some older posters to chime in again, I'm gonna have to call my dad haha.

He can go on the short list for this position and be considered further forward if he does not make the team.

^ A lot of people on here won't have seen Gascoigne, never mind Mackay, though. What's their basis for voting?

Interesting point.

I think it's fair enough to use secondary evidence - books, videos, parents' opinions. I watched that 3 hour 'The Official History of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club 1882-1993' video hundreds of times as a kid, read the Spurs Alphabet cover-to-cover, and all that. I think those sort of things can give you a reasonable perspective.

Plus if it was just from my primary experience (1988/9 onward), the best we'd have would be Carr and Ziege as FBs!

It's interesting that the double side and since seem fair game, but the 51 (Ron Burgess mention aside), 21 or 01 sides are no longer being considered.

And Gascoigne was phenomenal - definitely the most able player I've seen in the flesh. I'm hoping to meet him at something next month

Blanchflower and Mackay are the two standout players (from everything I've ever heard) from our double winning team, our best ever side. Where they would play in a modern formation would be in the '2' of the 4231. Surely we have to give the double winning team a nod somewhere when we are picking our greatest ever XI?

Popescu, a fine player, never really worked out for us did he? Howells would be on the list ahead of him imo.

I'd support Howells making a top 10 cut. Very underrated player and key part of the 91 side. Useful second flourish under Francis too.

Popescu was very good for us. He just buggered off to Barcelona after a season

I will be voting for Hoddle and Mackay as they are my old mans favourite two players - and he's seen plenty of good ones of the years

With mein eyes - Modric!! From old - Gazza and Hoddle. I do not have the glorious memories of some.

With mein eyes - Modric!! From old - Gazza and Hoddle. I do not have the glorious memories of some.

Andy Gray, Jason Dozzell, Tim Sherwood, Jamie Redknapp, Moussa Saib, Milenko Acimovic, Mbulelo Mabizela - yeah some absolute turd.

Remembering the workhorses like Freund, Nielsen, Tainio, Clemence, Zokora and Brown even made me misty-eyed compared to some of that top list.

We have been truly blessed over the years with some great M/F players and its going to be hard to leave some out, for these two spots ( imo) it has to be Hoddle and Mackay. Leaving out the likes of Blanchflower , the great John White is blasphemy for me but I do not think I can name them among the five I have to choose.

But with 3 wingers (Waddle, Hodge and Allen)? That's why I was recalling Paul Allen played closest to Clive

Think hodge was more center mid wasn't he? Certainly in his later years he was. Thought it was Paul right, the waddler left with hodge, hoddle and ossie patrolling the centre, but I was never lucky enough to see this team, just going from what I've read and what I've seen of those players in later years.

Think hodge was more center mid wasn't he? Certainly in his later years he was. Thought it was Paul right, the waddler left with hodge, hoddle and ossie patrolling the centre, but I was never lucky enough to see this team, just going from what I've read and what I've seen of those players in later years.

my memory might be failing me but didn't Hodge start wide and finish his career more centrally whilst Allen was the reverse and moved wider under Venables?

With my eyes it would prob be Gazza and modric, although not sure if that combo would work well in real life, but they are clearly the two most gifted I saw. My first game was 88.

Will have to think about my all time list though, when you throw in blanchflower, Mackay, hoddle, ossie, etc. in the mix as well it becomes impossible almost.

I guess the likes of Gazza, ossie and hoddle you could even consider in the attacking midfield slot? Let at least one of the double winners sit in deep cm.

Back