• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

"The Best Manager"

Joesh

Tony Parks
You hear this about many different managers but my question is how do you think a Wenger, Ferguson, Mourinho, Villas Boas would do at a relegation threatened team with limited resources especially in recent times where cash is king? I often wonder how these top managers would achieve just based on coaching skills.

Where do you think they'd finish with likes of Hull or Crysal Palace for instance?

I understand the question but basically the answer is Wenger and AVB do not wind up at CP or Hull.

It is akin to asking why rich people are not poor.

Wenger and ferguson would do well. Mourinho would be average. AVB not too sure prob average also.

You could argue, how would a good manager of a lower league side do given the resources of a club like Chelsea or Man U.

Wenger would basically be Roberto Martinez imo, they would probably finish 17th every season.

The other 3 I think could bring the team up to midtable.

I think Wenger would do better. He's a better manager than Martinez. I think he could have had the side nearer midtable.

Mourinho would do very, very well. His defensive, counter-attacking style of play would fit in very well at the smaller clubs, and his ability to manage egos and inspire players would translate well to the lower reaches of the league, where a bit of motivation can mean the difference between going down and staying up.

AVB would do reasonably well: his preference for direct, uncomplicated play and powerful players with great work-ethics would stand him in good stead when facing the bigger boys in the league (i.e teams like us) that are often famously stymied by this sort of setup. His preference for a united dressing room would also avert any shenanigans a la Saudi Sportswashing Machine in 08-09.

Fergie, not sure. He did well at St.Mirren, but managing a team in today's football world and taking them to the top seems infinitely harder to do than in the 80's. I also don't think his hairdryers would go down well with underperforming players at the smaller clubs, simply because they tend to not be as egotistical as top-class footballers. And the type of rotation policies he used to pull off at United would get him sacked at a lower club, simply because their back-up eleven plus three tend not to be as talented as the backup players the likes of United possess, and thus worse results would probably occur. However, despite all this he can motivate players and he's a good tactician, two things that will probably see him...well, not set the world alight, but certainly do fairly well at a Palace or a Hull City.

Wenger would probably fail. His success early on was because of his ability to find French talent ahead of the dinosaur-like English scouting system, his implementation of fitness methods that were unheard of in England at the time and his merging of physicality with pace, power and technique, a perfect combo. Now, every top-flight English team has scouts scouring the world for talent, fitness training is accepted as a vital part of coaching (With most players' diets correspondingly changing from chips to pasta) and he seems to have abandoned that 'power and finesse' philosophy in favour of either endlessly passing it around outside the opposition box (Arsenal 05-10) or stolidly defending and hoping to nick a goal on the counter (Arsenal 10-13). Neither are particularly useful tactics for a bottom of the table team, and without any new ideas and in an environment where he has to earn respect as opposed to just automatically receive it by virtue of his long tenure, he probably will fail.

An experienced Ferguson would have a team like Palace finishing top 12.

Avb would have the same team in the top 15.

Mourinho also top 15.

Wenger another top 15 but only with certain players in the team.

I really do not think Mourinho is as good as people think.

Mourinho is an excellent short term manager. Can draw every last ounce from his players through his motivational techniques, but it has a limit (3 years? 8-[). Should the players see through his tricks however...

Mourinho would do very, very well. His defensive, counter-attacking style of play would fit in very well at the smaller clubs, and his ability to manage egos and inspire players would translate well to the lower reaches of the league, where a bit of motivation can mean the difference between going down and staying up.

The question is whether he could manage his own ego.

Fergie, not sure. He did well at St.Mirren, but managing a team in today's football world and taking them to the top seems infinitely harder to do than in the 80's. I also don't think his hairdryers would go down well with underperforming players at the smaller clubs, simply because they tend to not be as egotistical as top-class footballers. And the type of rotation policies he used to pull off at United would get him sacked at a lower club, simply because their back-up eleven plus three tend not to be as talented as the backup players the likes of United possess, and thus worse results would probably occur. However, despite all this he can motivate players and he's a good tactician, two things that will probably see him...well, not set the world alight, but certainly do fairly well at a Palace or a Hull City.

I agree the hairdryer style cannot work any more at the top level (it might for players in the lower league who are more desperate for the job). Fergie got away with it for longer because he has the reputation. A new manager could never get away with it.

However, Fergie is more flexible than his reputation allows. He let Roy Keane get away with murder because he needed him. Look at how Rooney was forgiven the first time. Or what about getting bans for stupidity (Cantona, Ferdinand) or repeated indiscipline (Scholes) so players miss important matches. He did learn to work with the modern player.

I think how Moyes does this season will be interesting. The squad is very similar, adding Fellaini to replace the declining skills of Scholes and Giggs. How he does could change how we evaluate him and Fergie.

With AVB, I think it too early to consider his flexibility, although he seems to have learned from experience at Chelsea. While I have to rate Wenger as one of the best managers in English football because of what he achieved and how he did it, I'm inclined to agree he lacks the flexibility for a different role. That Arsenal, at that time, in that league was the perfect storm for Wenger.

Back