• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The best club side ever

AC Milan 1988-1994 were an absolutely amazing side. Maldini, Baresi, Costacurta, Gullit, Rijkaard, Van Basten, Donadoni, Boban, Savicevic, Desailly, Panucci, Massaro, Ancelotti, B. Laudrup and Papin all playing for them throughout that time. They were just a machine of a side and when you consider what a lot of those players went on to achieve after that period too.....well it is mindblowing.

The team that won the 1993/94 Champions League was just incredible and I remember them absolutely destroying Johan Cruyff's Barcelona in the final, 4-0 and that despite all the experts saying that Milan were ageing and couldn't compete with a vibrant Barcelona side that had Romario and Stoichkov banging goals in left, right and centre and a side that had smashed Man Utd to pieces in the group stage at the Nou Camp.

Serie A Winners: 1987/88, 1991/92, 1992/93, 1993/94
Runners Up: 1989/90, 1990/91

European Cup/Champions League Winners: 1988/89, 1989/90, 1993/94
Runners Up: 1992/93

UEFA Super Cup Winners: 1989, 1990, 1994

FIFA Intercontinental Cup/World Club Cup Winners: 1989,1990

I think the Barca side of recent years would run them close in fairness but AC Milan dominated home and abroad and I think are the last team to successfully retain the European Cup and got to 4 finals out of 6.

Does show you that sometimes it isn't just a manager but also a group players that makes a club successful.

Halfway through that period Arrigo Sacchi left the club pretty much on the same way Pep Guardiola left Barcelona, in great shape but also knowing it had reached its peak, before Fabio Capello took over and things only got better. I guess one massive advantage Milan had over everyone else at the time was Silvio Berlusconi's vast wealth which he happily pumped into the club very much like City and Chelsea today.

whats even more impressive about that Milan side is that Juve were paying off referees and still couldn't beat em to the title

AC Milan 1988-1994 were an absolutely amazing side. Maldini, Baresi, Costacurta, Gullit, Rijkaard, Van Basten, Donadoni, Boban, Savicevic, Desailly, Panucci, Massaro, Ancelotti, B. Laudrup and Papin all playing for them throughout that time. They were just a machine of a side and when you consider what a lot of those players went on to achieve after that period too.....well it is mindblowing.

The team that won the 1993/94 Champions League was just incredible and I remember them absolutely destroying Johan Cruyff's Barcelona in the final, 4-0 and that despite all the experts saying that Milan were ageing and couldn't compete with a vibrant Barcelona side that had Romario and Stoichkov banging goals in left, right and centre and a side that had smashed Man Utd to pieces in the group stage at the Nou Camp.

I think the Barca side of recent years would run them close in fairness but AC Milan dominated home and abroad and I think are the last team to successfully retain the European Cup and got to 4 finals out of 6.

That was a great team and their record all the more impressive when you think that Seria A was undoubtedly the strongest league in Europe at the time. Didn't they set a rediculous record for going unbeaten in Europe too?

Does show you that sometimes it isn't just a manager but also a group players that makes a club successful.

Halfway through that period Arrigo Sacchi left the club pretty much on the same way Pep Guardiola left Barcelona, in great shape but also knowing it had reached its peak, before Fabio Capello took over and things only got better. I guess one massive advantage Milan had over everyone else at the time was Silvio Berlusconi's vast wealth which he happily pumped into the club very much like City and Chelsea today.

Thats true to a degree although I don't think the transfer fees being paid by Berlusconi at that time are comparable although it is all relative. But Capello started it all, Sacchi took over and left and then Capello came back to finish the job despite the team changing around quite alot in the final 2 years of its cycle. By then, Van Basten had had his ankles smashed to pieces, Gullit had fallen out with people at the club and suffered injuries before leaving for Sampdoria and so on. And yet as you say, a little tweaking here and there and it was business as usual and immediatly after 1994 they still picked up honours going into 1997.

That was a great team and their record all the more impressive when you think that Seria A was undoubtedly the strongest league in Europe at the time. Didn't they set a rediculous record for going unbeaten in Europe too?

Not sure about in Europe but they were unbeaten for 58 games across 1991/92 and 1992/93 in Serie A and actually finished the 1991/92 season unbeaten. The three seasons they won it on the bounce, their record was Played 102 - Won 59 - Drawn - 38 - Lost 5 - GS 175 - GA 68 and that was all under 2 points for a win and with sides like Juventus with Vialli et al and Inter with Klinsmann, Brehme and Matthaus being traditionally strong as well as teams like Parma, Sampdoria, Torino, Lazio and Napoli all splashing money and trying to sustain long term challenges.

I would also elect the hugely entertaining Milan side that won the European cup four nil.

I remember AC Milan being the Galacticos of the time and watching Serie A on Channel 4 as legends like Baresi and Maldini marshalled the defence with Rijkaard or Desailly shielding them whilst Gullit and van Basten sliced open opponents.

I would also elect the hugely entertaining Milan side that won the European cup four nil.

Yup, hugely impressive to thrash a Barca side featuring the likes of Koeman, Guardiola, Stoichkov and Romario 4-0 (who beat ManU by the same scoreline a few months later) especially without their captain (Baresi) or star striker (van Basten).

Milan 4 Barca 0 | Football News | Sky Sports

The Barca side from around 2009 - 2011 was the best side I've ever seen. They played the best football, but were perhaps not as successful as some of the other sides people have mentioned because the way they played in such an open fashion meant they occasionally lost. Never before have I seen a team consistently have 70+% possession every game and dominate every opponent they came up against (even if they didn't always end up as winners).

Back