• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Attack

El Guepardo

Rafael Van Der Vaart
Given that there's a thread about the defence, I thought that a thread concerning our attacking play was merited at this stage of the season.

Defensively, we have been very solid, with the joint best defensive record in the league. Offensively, however, we have scored only 11 goals this league season, with 4 against the same opponent.

We have evidently lost some of our attacking prowess, perhaps to create a more defensive and harder to beat team unit. But, we need to start scoring more if we are to enjoy the results that our defensive, and resolute, performances deserve.

Where does the solution lay? It's easy to point at Harry Kane and say 'he should score more'. Of course, that's a valid point but, is the service of a good quality to him? Is there more that can be done to help him out?

What other changes, whether in personnel, or tactics, do you want to see implemented in to our attacking play?

What other changes, whether in personnel, or tactics, do you want to see implemented in to our attacking play?

It is a pipe dream but I think that we would most benefit from would be a settled side for a run of Premier League game

It is a pipe dream but I think that we would most benefit from would be a settled side for a run of Premier League game

If we have a system of play that suits our selected players. If we train the players at these strategies, with the flowing play executed in training, whilst not always at the same level as Premier League fixtures, the system ought to enable an interchanging of players, without a big difference in the results, or the apparent cohesion of the team.

I think we're looking ok attacking wise and are unfortunate not to have scored a few more goals, Kanes certainly had the chances to be on 5 or 6 for the season. But i think overall our play is improved on last season and we create space/chances with more regularity in the final 3rd and generally look more threatening, it can and hopefully will improve as Son and N'Jie get in to the flow of things - pace being quite vital to our attacking approach this season (now we have the players for that)

In terms of what id want to see changed - Berahino or an alternate brought in ASAP and Townsend replaced with someone better

Last edited:
I think a big problem, and maybe it's pooch's tactics, but the link form midfield to attack isn't quite right. last season I felt bentaleb and mason was a really weak midfield, but Eriksen and Kane (not through service in the main) really did incredible things and got us 5th; so many individual strikes.

This season Eriksen has been injured, and Kane is way way off form/confidence. So we're left with the same problem. HOWEVER, I will say that Mason looked good next to Dier the game he got injured, being freed up of his defensive duties, and Alli has moments but actually feels more solid then he did earlier int he season, but he could still be the link. But it isn't quite happening yet. So maybe injuries have us this season.

I think the 3 behind Kane don't help, Lamela is looking good, Chadli having pretty bad season; Son looked like he could offer what we needed last season. So basically, if we had everything fit, maybe what i see as the problem would be fixed, but currently the problem is still there...

I don't think I'm explaining myself very well...

If we have a system of play that suits our selected players. If we train the players at these strategies, with the flowing play executed in training, whilst not always at the same level as Premier League fixtures, the system ought to enable an interchanging of players, without a big difference in the results, or the apparent cohesion of the team.

I think that we do have a system that suits our players. I just think that with such a young side a bit of continuity would be a big boost right now.

If we had another forward it would give us variety and and option to drop Kane back into a deeper role (where he has looked very tidy) and to play a different style of player in front. Someone like Berahino plays on the shoulder more when he is deployed a striker for example

We miss sons pace and experience and it shows when compared with njie for example.

What I'd like is for Townsend to go to a club that suits and values him and we bring in Berahino.

We have been really unfortunate that we haven't had pritchard as an option too

Another thing that could work is Dier behind Alli and Mason with Kane as the spearhead flanked by Lamella and Eriksen. That's a lot of lace and energy and with Son out still give us the drive he brings. My concern is does that mix score enough

We look good when it works, but we should bear in mind that we haven't really had a settled on form front 4/5 much this season.
When son is back, eriksen gets more game time and Harry gets his confidence up we will see real improvement. Add mason back and Lamellas upturn in form then I think there is case for optimism.

Kane is cream crackered, off form and lacking confidence at the moment. With our main scoring threat nuliffied we are largely impotent. Son looked good in his few games and helped take some pressure off him. But we still need a direct replacement so we can give Kane a rest and give him a chance to recapture last seasons sparkle. Also, some healthy competition wouldn't harm him.

Main difference between this season and last is worse finishing. Simple as. I think the general standard of football and the level of creativity that we have in the side is as good as it's been in the post-Harry/Modric/VdV era. And in fact...we've scored the same number of goals as we had after the first 9 games of last season and more than the year before.

In the previous three seasons we've generally lacked a lot of creative flair but have been bailed out by good finishing skills from Bale in 2012/13, Adebayor in 2013/14 and then Kane, Chadli and Eriksen last season. This year, Kane's lack of goals has been well documented, Chadli has been poor and Eriksen has missed a few games through injury, meaning we've gone backwards in this regard.

I'm not worried like I was in the first half of the 2013/14 season, when we were grinding out wins because of dodgy penalties and the odd long range pot shot that went in, because this time we're actually creating good chances in every game. We have talented footballers in our side, eventually we're going to start taking those chances. Now of course, signing a new striker in the summer would really have helped, but so will Son's return from injury.

I'm not sure what the Kane solution is. But if he had last season's goalscoring touch yesterday and against Everton when one-on-one with the keeper in both games, we'd now be in the top 4. I'm sure Poch is thinking about this a lot right now...

I agree kane is knackered and out of form but will dropping him dent his confidence even more?
"you haven't scored in a while, sit on the bench."
"thanks boss, kick me while I'm down, that's just what I need."

but also I think when dier and son are back we'll see a difference.
alli plays further forward when dier plays and son interchanges more with lamela and eriksen, and offers us a more fluid 3 behind kane.
also when those 3 play behind I've noticed kane drops deeper and lamela often becomes the one up top.
it's more like 4 false 9s when all are playing and opposing defences haven't a clue who to mark/track.

Spurs' perennial trouble is they're like the jigsaw puzzle than never gets finished. Just when it looks as though the last piece has been placed down, suddenly there's two others missing somewhere else.

I agree kane is knackered and out of form but will dropping him dent his confidence even more?
"you haven't scored in a while, sit on the bench."
"thanks boss, kick me while I'm down, that's just what I need."

Or alternatively you could interpret is as…

"I know the goals will come Harry, but right now we feel you need a rest. We're gonna sit you on the bench against Anderlecht".

"No worries Guv', I'm feeling it and whilst I want to play I think it'll do me some good to get a rest in where I can".

The bigger issue is if we were to rest him Thursday, or anytime soon, who the bloody hell comes in to get the goals!!!???

Or alternatively you could interpret is as…

"I know the goals will come Harry, but right now we feel you need a rest. We're gonna sit you on the bench against Anderlecht".

"No worries Guv', I'm feeling it and whilst I want to play I think it'll do me some good to get a rest in where I can".

The bigger issue is if we were to rest him Thursday, or anytime soon, who the bloody hell comes in to get the goals!!!???

well we are struggling for goals anyway with Harry in the team, so to leave him out and lets say play Njie instead wont really weaken us from a goals point of view.

Kane is cream crackered, off form and lacking confidence at the moment. With our main scoring threat nuliffied we are largely impotent. Son looked good in his few games and helped take some pressure off him. But we still need a direct replacement so we can give Kane a rest and give him a chance to recapture last seasons sparkle. Also, some healthy competition wouldn't harm him.

Alternatively we can just say that he's our first choice striker and a superstar in the making and play him every week... Apparently that's also a way to help a player recapture his sparkle.

Not a single team I can think of in the world has "healthy competition" for a player as important to them as Kane is to us when on form.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Agree with several posters that Son was looking really important for us. Dynamic, quick, skillful, could score. Did a lot to add to the qualities of the others in the "front 4".

Our attacking problems continue to be breaking down and creating chances against well organized hard working team. Not that it's a problem exclusive to us, most teams struggle with that. Hoping to see real improvements on that front this season though. Still some way to go, but injuries haven't helped.

For me the crucial thing is the Son-Eriksen-Lamela trio behind Kane. Those 3 really blend and interchange well, and move the ball with intent and intelligence.

The games we've looked blunt are when too many of Dembele, Chadli and Townsend have been called on to deputise. Though individually I rate some of them, too many tips the balance and we lose all our penetration

Back