• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The all new Striker thread..

I think he'd jump at the chance to join us, personally. More of a chance in the summer than January though.

But why did he sign the new contract so quickly in the summer then? Surely he and his agent would have known that sometimes transfer fees take time and if he wanted to sign for us he could help that happen by not signing a new contract. But as speculation was rife about him joining us and with the pressure growing on Villa he signed a new contract and ended all the discussion.

Doesn't sound to me like someone all that interested in signing for us.

a loan deal in Jan would be a good move i think. would anyone disagree with that?

Wouldn't be bad on a loan or a permanent (short term) contract. Assuming that Berba would accept that he wouldn't always be first choice, that he might end up being used as an impact player, that he would get subbed when he was tiring in games and that he might occasionally have to press and close down.

I think that was more or less the role he left at United to join Fulham though.

Who's the big bloke that plays for Anzi? He showed great strength against us and also had a few runs at our defence with some success. He is also 6ft7ish i believe? Has to be good in the air?

Notice how almost all our squad we have two very interchangable players for each position? AVB doesn't want something different, he wants someone similar to Soldado that he can interchange without changing the system.

He definitely doesn't want a big target man - look how he cast off Drogba and Lukaku to persist with Torres. Falcao-Torres-Soldado - it's no accident that all his main strikers through his career have been very similar.

I think the guy he fancies most is Hernandez (Jason Burt keeps saying this too). I think we'll go for Pato though because he's cheaper and much more gettable (United won't sell to us in their predicament).

Last edited:
He claimed to want to move to us this summer despite him being reported to be an Arsenal fan. He then turned around and signed the improved contract offer from Villa. Wasn't there even a report that he said something along the lines that he could never sign for us?

I just don't think he's particularly gettable, I think he's waiting for bigger clubs to come in for him.

Needs to earn his place in the Villa team back first. Perhaps we should be looking at Libor Kozak instead.

Benteke just isn't an AVB type player at all.

a loan deal in Jan would be a good move i think. would anyone disagree with that?

AVB. And probably Levy.

Notice how almost all our squad we have two very interchangable players for each position? AVB doesn't want something different, he wants someone similar to Soldado that he can interchange without changing the system.

He definitely doesn't want a big target man - look how he cast off Drogba and Lukaku to persist with Torres. Falcao-Torres-Soldado - it's no accident that all his main strikers through his career have been very similar.

I think the guy I think he fancies most is Hernandez (Jason Burt keeps saying this too). I think we'll go for Pato though because he's cheaper and much more gettable (United won't sell to us in their predicament).

I think that's a slight oversimplification of what AVB has been doing.

We signed Adebayor permanently under AVB and he got quite a few games considering his injury problems and rather unimpressive form.

Chelsea signed Lukaku under AVB, he didn't play him a ton, but this was also the time when some people were laughing at how poor he was and how ridiculous it was that Chelsea had spent so much money on him. Another way of looking at the situation is to say that AVB was giving Lukaku time to adjust and considering the pressure to play Torres I think that can be understood from that point of view too.

It did seem quite likely that we were at least interested in signing Benteke this summer.

In short I think a couple of examples of him preferring shorter non-target-man strikers so far in his relatively short career isn't enough to say that he won't want a physical option up front (not necessarily a traditional target man, see my post in the AVB thread).

He seems to like options as well as direct replacements. Lamela, Townsend and Lennon are fairly different right sided players. Chadli and Sigurdsson aren't very similar to me. Eriksen/Holtby and Paulinho as attacking midfielder options aren't all that similar. He seems to like players that can play multiple positions and multiple roles to give himself options of having different qualities in different positions. If that is the case up front we'll see, but I think it's much too soon to say that he definitely wants a Pato or Hernandez type striker and not someone with a bit more muscle.

I think that's a slight oversimplification of what AVB has been doing.

We signed Adebayor permanently under AVB and he got quite a few games considering his injury problems and rather unimpressive form.

Chelsea signed Lukaku under AVB, he didn't play him a ton, but this was also the time when some people were laughing at how poor he was and how ridiculous it was that Chelsea had spent so much money on him. Another way of looking at the situation is to say that AVB was giving Lukaku time to adjust and considering the pressure to play Torres I think that can be understood from that point of view too.

It did seem quite likely that we were at least interested in signing Benteke this summer.

In short I think a couple of examples of him preferring shorter non-target-man strikers so far in his relatively short career isn't enough to say that he won't want a physical option up front (not necessarily a traditional target man, see my post in the AVB thread).

He seems to like options as well as direct replacements. Lamela, Townsend and Lennon are fairly different right sided players. Chadli and Sigurdsson aren't very similar to me. Eriksen/Holtby and Paulinho as attacking midfielder options aren't all that similar. He seems to like players that can play multiple positions and multiple roles to give himself options of having different qualities in different positions. If that is the case up front we'll see, but I think it's much too soon to say that he definitely wants a Pato or Hernandez type striker and not someone with a bit more muscle.

I definitely agree about his liking for versatile players.

I don't think Lennon, Townsend and Siggy are exactly his cup of tea - he inherited and we're a bit bound to them because we only have the minimum number of home grown players left. I think they are all a bit too direct/untechnical for him.

I really don't think he wanted Benteke in the summer at all. I think Levy may have been tempted, but Villa was AVB's first choice and Soldado was the obvious Villa plan b. Re Ade - I assume he was bought by the committee because he was cheap after we'd drawn blank on AVB's targets.

It'll be interesting though. As I say, I don't think Hernandez is gettable. Pato or Lavezzi would be the smart ones because they are versatile and can play on the left alongside Soldado, as well as in place of him; but Lavezzi is likely out of our price range

I don't think Lennon, Townsend and Siggy are exactly his cup of tea - he inherited and we're a bit bound to them because we only have the minimum number of home grown players left. I think they are all a bit too direct/untechnical for him.

I really don't think he wanted Benteke in the summer at all. I think Levy may have been tempted, but Villa was AVB's first choice and Soldado was the obvious Villa plan b. Re Ade - I assume he was bought by the committee because he was cheap after we'd drawn blank on AVB's targets.

It'll be interesting though. As I say, I don't think Hernandez is gettable. Pato or Lavezzi would be the smart ones because they are versatile and can play on the left alongside Soldado, as well as in place of him; but Lavezzi is likely out of our price range

Siggy was signed under him, Lennon has been getting a lot of game time and Townsend has been preferred to Lamela so far.

As far as a physical forward I think the evidence is at least unclear at this time, certainly not enough there for me to say for certain that AVB doesn't want that option in his squad. He's also shown that he can be flexible and isn't anywhere near as rigid in his thinking as some have thought/claimed, so even if he didn't feel the need for that option at Porto/Chelsea he might still feel it's a good idea here.

well according to reports (and some quotes from Berbatovs side) we made a last ditch attempt to sign him from United before he went Fulham

Wasn't that when it was looking like Demspey (by that point the 53rd name down the list) was falling through? Desperate times...

Why would Lavezzi want to come and why would PSG sell? Has he flopped? If so i wouldn't want us to buy 2 flops in Pato and Lavezzi.

Why would Lavezzi want to come and why would PSG sell? Has he flopped? If so i wouldn't want us to buy 2 flops in Pato and Lavezzi.

I don't think he's been a flop, more that he's been replaced by superior players like Lucas Moura and Cavani. I can't really see us getting him though, age against him, probably on massive wages and likely to cost a bunch.

Again 2 Brazil internationals,
Pato at approx 12 mill and Fred at I assume 6-8, club just relegated, 30 years old and last year of contract.
Good goal rate..

Again 2 Brazil internationals,
Pato at approx 12 mill and Fred at I assume 6-8, club just relegated, 30 years old and last year of contract.
Good goal rate..

I know the same can be levelled at Paulinho, but Fred flopped in his first career in Europe.

I know the same can be levelled at Paulinho, but Fred flopped in his first career in Europe.

I thought he was pretty good at Lyon to be fair.

I remember us being linked with him and myself getting quite excited, even rumours of him watching us at the Lane.

Who was the chap playing centre forward for Basle last season when they knocked us out of the Europa League? I thought he gave a textbook display of how to play up top in a 4-4-3 type formation, as did each of their front 3 to be fair!

Who was the chap playing centre forward for Basle last season when they knocked us out of the Europa League? I thought he gave a textbook display of how to play up top in a 4-4-3 type formation, as did each of their front 3 to be fair!

I was impressed by his too (in fact Basel's front 3 were all excellent). Marco Streller is the guy, but he's already 32.

Back