• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The all new Striker thread..

Will be interesting to see who we end up going for under AVB. He didn't sign Falcao for Porto I think and Porto didn't play in the Premier League. For Chelsea he signed Lukaku who was supposed to be the next Drogba, looks like he wants to bring in a bit of height and strength with Ade for us. Most of the other strikers we've been linked to have been tall or tallish.

he didnt seem to be a fan of Lukaku....the kid was a RA signing i think, they were linked to him way before AVB arrived

There's really only two players who would fit perfectly in the role as lone striker. If you look at the ones that we may be able to buy, as I see it anyway.

Fernando Llorente and Robert Lewandowski, but it will cost big time. At least 25-30 mil.

he didnt seem to be a fan of Lukaku....the kid was a RA signing i think, they were linked to him way before AVB arrived

True, you never know who signs the players at Chelsea. Not sure if he was a fan or not, we just know that he rated Drogba and Torres higher (unsurprisingly).

There's really only two players who would fit perfectly in the role as lone striker. If you look at the ones that we may be able to buy, as I see it anyway.

Fernando Llorente and Robert Lewandowski, but it will cost big time. At least 25-30 mil.

Would love to sign either, but can't see it happening unfortunately. Llorente would cost around £35-40m at least. Lewandowski wouldn't leave a club in the Champions League and are a up and coming team. They are not one of the favourites to win the CL, but they would have an outside chance, they're better than Chelsea!

Would love to sign either, but can't see it happening unfortunately. Llorente would cost around £35-40m at least. Lewandowski wouldn't leave a club in the Champions League and are a up and coming team. They are not one of the favourites to win the CL, but they would have an outside chance, they're better than Chelsea!

Llorente would be competing in the Europa League next year - so perhaps we might stand an outside chance. The fact he didn't feature at Euro 2012 only helped to keep his price-tage under 35m, imv. Not sure if Bilbao would ever consider selling to us, but I feel we have a much better chance convincing the player now than we did with Arry in charge. For me - he ticks all the boxes for us and would be absolutely immense upfront, far better/versatile than Ade.

And yet whenever Ive seen him "Versatile" isnt the word that springs to mind. Just as "Mobile" or "Quick" doesnt come up either...

Since a few years after he broke into the Bilbao team i've been saying on here that we should watch out for him and he's gonna be huge. Now it's become fashion to rate him and i'll categorically state that he's neither quick or very mobile either but certain posters for some reason continue to label him that. I said i'd prefer Ade than Llorente because he fits into our style of play far better.

I havent seen a great deal ofhim so am not an expert. He looks to me like a superb finisher, and can finish in any way. His movement looks pretty good (would need to be lacking pace) and he looks very strong. As a central striker in a 433 I could see him being pretty good for us.

Im not sure he is £35m good though. Havent seen enough to say.

If you describe a versatile striker to me, I imagine Adebayor. That guy can play as striker, as a wide forward, as a finisher or as a front line workhorse brining others into play. Adebayor (while perhaps not excellent at one particular thing) is indeed versatile. And he has the fitness, pace and agility to work a variety of roles.

None of which rings a bell with Llorente for me

I can only advise to watch him more and/or watch him closely

Ive watched him. In fact i'd say i've watched him far more than most and probably a lot more than you have. When Berbatov left was when i first mentioned him (and pandev) as replacements but how exactly are you suggesting that he's versatile? please just tell me how.

How exactly is he vertsatile then? Educate me Arcy - you seem to think you are the expert.

I'm no expert, save me your digs - simply sharing my observations of a player I've been following for around 4 years now

He can lead the line

He can play with a 'runner' working off him

He can drag defenders and open space for his team-mates

Superior aerial ability

Superior link-up play

Can hold up the ball very well and release others into space

Great finishing

Good eye for goal

Very good eye for space around the 18 yard area

Reads the channels very well

Can beat an opponent from a standing start

An in my opinion of course

- He is a much better finisher than Ade

- He is stronger than Ade

- He is younger than Ade

- He is superior aerially to Ade

- He is techincally above Ade in most aspects

- He can use both feet

Last edited:
Yes, sure - you are the only one who follows football in Spain :rolleyes:

I'm making that judgment based on hardly anyone even knowing who the fudge he was a few years back but as soon as the UEFA cup campaign (well actually most jumped on the bandwagon in the 2010 WC i think it was) it seems everyone wants him now and describe him as some sort of messiah. I specifically remember most not knowing who the fudge he was back then.

Im not having a dig, you appoint yourself as supperior - Ive asked a question.

All of which you have described is not IMO versatility, its being a simple striker. Which is what I thought.

I'm no expert, save me your digs - simply sharing my observations of a player I've been following for around 4 years now

He can lead the line = TRUE

He can play with a 'runner' working off him = So you're saying he can play with a strike partner? is so TRUE

He can drag defenders and open space for his team-mates = TRUE

Superior aerial ability = TRUE

Superior link-up play = FALSE

Can hold up the ball very well and release others into space = TRUE

Great finishing = TRUE

Good eye for goal = that not the same thing?

Very good eye for space around the 18 yard area = TRUE

Reads the channels very well = i don't understand what you mean? how does he read the channels?

Can beat an opponent from a standing start = Hmmm i guess sometimes he gets the better of opponent but are you saying he's good at this generally?

An in my opinion of course

- He is a much better finisher than Ade = TRUE

- He is stronger than Ade = TRUE

- He is younger than Ade = TRUE

- He is superior aerially to Ade = TRUE

- He is techincally above Ade in most aspects = FALSE

- He can use both feet =He can

Back