• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The all new Striker thread..

its not how we do business though is it. We sold Carrick for 18 mill, but we didnt spend 18 mill on his replacement. We sold Berba for 32 mill, but i didnt see a 32 mill striker coming in to replace him

our record transfer fee spent is 16 mill

if its true that some outsiders are coming in to invest in the club, then we might see a big transfer signing, meaning a 25 mill plus signing. But as things stand, i dont see it happening.

and about the wages, you have to remember that Bale has just had another decent sized pay rise, Walker got a big new contract, the new players coming in will be on more money than the players going out imo (Vert on more than Charlie was, Sigurdsson earning more than Kranjcar did) so already the budget is being eaten into. Other players will have their contracts upgraded and renewed too

Levy runs a tight ship and i dont see him going crazy anytime soon.

Imo the board will give the new manager a a considerable amount to spend. Luka will be sold but they're gonna want to show we're not simply going to assume our position fighting for 6th place and they'll give the funds to help us at the very least maintain our current position.

Imo the board will give the new manager a a considerable amount to spend. Luka will be sold but they're gonna want to show we're not simply going to assume our position fighting for 6th place and they'll give the funds to help us at the very least maintain our current position.

my prediction is that 20-22 mill for a young striker like Leandro is the most we will spend this summer on one player

by the way, id love us to sign Llorente. He is just what we need to score the goals in an AVB type line up and tactics. However, his overall cost, his own expectations for CL football, his club unwilling to sell, might all count against us. We shall see

If previous seasons are anything to go by we won't put an offer in for anyone until last August!
I expect Defoe up on his own against Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

unbelievably unrealistic dont you think. Why would he join Spurs, and how could Spurs afford the 40 mill transfer fee and over 100k a week wages..even Doumbia, rated at 26 mill by his team seems out of reach for us

the others are gettable

Llorente is "unbelievably unrealistic", but your team includes Tevez?

Tevez(on loan) Moutinho (in for departing Modric) Sigurdsson (VDV looks to be on his way) Vertonghen (King and Gallas on their last legs, both could be let go soon) and Vorm (Friedel is over 40 years old)

Thats 4 permanent signings, all needed, and one loan signing, meaning 5 and that is not over half the team that finished 4th

I do think changes will have to be made and not for the sake of it. Enforced changes if all the rumours are true. i wouldnt say that warrants the unbelievably unrealistic comment

Sandro was not a starter for much of last season.

Even 5, rather than 6, of 11 is basically 50% anyway.

Llorente is "unbelievably unrealistic", but your team includes Tevez?

i think i made it very clear "on loan"...Ade style, one year, Emirates Marketing Project funding most of his wages. Getting Tevez to agree would be hard of course, but financially it could be done for a year

Llorente is difficult both financially and getting the player to agree...more unrealistic imo

Last edited by a moderator:
Sandro was not a starter for much of last season.

Even 5, rather than 6, of 11 is basically 50% anyway.

but i hope you appreciate that at least 4 of the regular 1st team players will have to change

we will not see Redknapp's 2011-12 team under AVB.

Everything considered......I would go with Adebayor based on finance and proven track record.

To compliment I would go with either Doumbia or Leandro. Haven't seen great amounts of either but I did watch a few CSKA games the last couple of seasons in the Champions League and was very impressed with Doumbia. Was distinctly pleased that Young Boys sold him just before we ended up playing them.

I think that both Doumbia and Leandro would do well here in the Premier League but possibly Doumbia would fit into our squad quite well in that he is quite compact and pacy.

I would hope our new manager sign at least one striker who has a better chance conversion rate to Ade

but i hope you appreciate that at least 4 of the regular 1st team players will have to change

we will not see Redknapp's 2011-12 team under AVB.

There will be changes of course, as would be the case with any new manager. I have seen no real indication that VDV will go however and Friedel still looks good for another year. Tevez for Lennon is outrageously unrealistic.

There will be changes of course, as would be the case with any new manager. I have seen no real indication that VDV will go however and Friedel still looks good for another year. Tevez for Lennon is outrageously unrealistic.

Depends on the new manager and hi tactical preferences. If it's AVB, as it seems likely to be, and he adopts his Porto-style high line, then there's really no space for Friedel. We'll need the mythical 'sweeper-keeper', in that case.

I would hope our new manager sign at least one striker who has a better chance conversion rate to Ade

at the expense of ade's strength?, pace, dribbling skills, athleticism, movement?, hold up play even

chance conversion rate would bring in someone like Gomez and i'l tell you this now...i do not want that man in my team

at the expense of ade's strength?, pace, dribbling skills, athleticism, movement?, hold up play even

chance conversion rate would bring in someone like Gomez and i'l tell you this now...i do not want that man in my team

Agreed. I wouldn't swap what Ade offers to the team for a player like Gomez that offers fudge all in general play. Theres only so much a team can do when your starting strikers game consists of standing stationary and misplaced passes. His all around game is below league 2 standard and i stand by that.

i dont know about league 2 standards but i do know the guy is massively overrated simply because of his goal returns. have you seen the people that supply him in bayern and germany.....bent would score just as much.

i will say this though, from the strike in the penalty shoot-out in CL final you can tell he can place the ball when he isnt interupted and from what i have seen recently he is a good finisher

but the rest of his game is SEVERELY lacking......i dont even think he has a 'rest of his game'

and i blame HIM for our CL exit. the man is brick in comparison to people saying he's a top 5 in the world striker...better than Etoo? i had to sit here , read AND take that kind of assessment simply because i hadnt seen anything for myself. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!! never again......

You won't be impressed by Falcao if looking at his overall play. He's no Berbatov or Bergkamp.
Falcao is all about goals - give him 5 years at Spurs and I'm convinced he'll be at least close to 150 goals.
Finishing is excellent, heading techinque is unreal like others shoot with their feet.
Always find the right positions, reads the game well, and timing in the air is spectacular.
In and around the box he lives up to his nick name El Tigre - lethal and merciless he will prey if given space or an opening.
Definitely the man I'd have spearhead a World XI if my life depended on it being victorius.

Sadly I think we're talking up to £50m in transfer fee and at least £150k a week.

The problem I have with this type of players is that you never know when the goals will dry. Being in the right place at the right time isn't exactly a skill. Since it's not exactly a skill, the slightest change in the player's life can turn a goal-scoring machine into a complete donkey. The history of football is full of players with nothing special who managed to maintain an excellent scoring ratio for decades (Inzaghi for instance) so there's a chance he'll score a thousand goals in his career. But for every Inzaghi, there's a Jardel.

It's all a matter of opinions, but I'd take a guy like Ibrahimovic any day of the week over Falcao. You know he's going to miss a lot of chances, you know he's going to bottle it when the going gets tough but, at least, you know what you're getting.

The problem I have with this type of players is that you never know when the goals will dry. Being in the right place at the right time isn't exactly a skill. Since it's not exactly a skill, the slightest change in the player's life can turn a goal-scoring machine into a complete donkey. The history of football is full of players with nothing special who managed to maintain an excellent scoring ratio for decades (Inzaghi for instance) so there's a chance he'll score a thousand goals in his career. But for every Inzaghi, there's a Jardel.

It's all a matter of opinions, but I'd take a guy like Ibrahimovic any day of the week over Falcao. You know he's going to miss a lot of chances, you know he's going to bottle it when the going gets tough but, at least, you know what you're getting.

hello Mr G.

top post as always.

i wil say though, i agree with the topics you're raising but the Uefa cup final this season gone made me a believer in falcao. i think he offers alot more than just being in the right place syndrome

prior to that and prior to a couple of games i saw hi play for athletico ...i was pretty much the same as you.

Mr G, I assume when you are talking about Jardel you are referring to his unsuccessful spell in the Premiership? Jardel played seven games for Bolton but failed to score in any of those seven fixtures.

Jardel played for Bolton, a side worse than our rivals Arsenal and yet, how many games did it take Henry to get off the mark? 8!! Henry's position was adjusted from winger to striker when he arrived at Arsenal but even so the statistic goes to show that any striker can struggle initially to adapt to a new league. Perhaps if Jardel had been given further opportunities then he too might have become more of a prolific scorer in this league, he was highly successful in at least three other leagues.

Falcao has really impressed me each time that I've seen him play. He has excellent technique, an eye for goal and does work well with the rest of his team. I'd be delighted if we could bring him to the club.

I would suggest that patience be given to any new signings so as to enable them the required time to adapt to the league.

hello Mr G.

top post as always.

i wil say though, i agree with the topics you're raising but the Uefa cup final this season gone made me a believer in falcao. i think he offers alot more than just being in the right place syndrome

prior to that and prior to a couple of games i saw hi play for athletico ...i was pretty much the same as you.

Howdy, african!

To be perfectly honest (and I do hope I mentioned that somewhere), it's not as if I had an extensive knowledge of Falcao. Long gone are the days when I could spend whole week-ends watching football, unfortunately. I'm more than willing to believe that, unlike him, I've never been in the right place at the right time and I've never seen him at his best.

Back