• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The Academy, NextGen, U18 & U21 Premier League and On-Loan Thread

Went to the nextgen match last night. I have to say that we probably deserved to lose the match. Sporting dominated the first 80 minutes of the match (bar perhaps the the first 15 when play was switching quickly from one side to another), and looked in complete control until we got a penalty that gave us some momentum for the last ten minutes of the match. In extra time, Spurs were suddenly the dominant team actually, and Sporting were looking very tired. Unfortunately, I think they scored both times they crossed the halfway line in the first half of extra time. In fact, they barely did cross the halfway line for their 5th goal. It was a shot from a ridiculous distance.

All in all, Sporting passed the ball around better, however, and their players were both technically more accomplished and tactically better aware than our players. To be a bit blunt, Sporting's players looked like they had actually been taught how to play the game, whilst our lads looked like a bunch of very enthuastic and energetic kids who were playing on instinct and enthusiasm. In addition to that, Sporting were also physically stronger than us. There were some big boys in the Sporting team. The only aspect where we looked superiour was in terms of fitness. We seemed fresher in extra time than Sporting, despite the outcome.

In the first half, we played a very direct game. We hardly ever tried to pass the ball through the midfield, but instead opted for early balls in behind Sporting's defence for Coulthirst and McEvoy to chase. We didn't have much success with that though. When we did try to pass the ball through midfield, we lost possession pretty much every time. The few times we looked threatening was when we found our wingers with balls to feet. They both caused their full backs some problems, but unfortuantely the final ball was normally poor.

In the second half, especially later on, we managed to play through midfield with more success, probably helped by the fact that Sporting were tiring and could no longer maintain the pressure on the ball they had in the first half. We did play some better football at least.

In terms of individual players:
Vigouroux: Looked like it was his first game in goal in his life. At fault for the last three goals. Maybe a bit harsh on the last one which was an incredible and surprising shot, but I think he should have had it covered. The 4th was a tame long-range shot that slipped under him, and he conceded a penalty for the third goal after mistiming an interception for the third or fourth time of the match. Very poor understanding with the center-backs as well it seemed.

Barthram: Our best player of the night I felt. A tiny fella, but quick feet and a decent understanding of the game. Made some decent interceptions. Also fairly comfortable on the ball, and the only one in our team who seemed capable of putting in a decent cross.

Both center backs, Ball and Veljkovic, were very unimpressive. They both looked slow, and failed to see danger until it was too late. Both of them showed that they could take the ball out of the back fairly well, especially late on in the game, and also play some decent balls from the back, but defensively, they were far from sound.

Stewart at left back was absolutely rubbish, in all aspects of the game. Even when using his hands on throw-ins he failed to get the ball in the vicinity of a teammate. Can't believe he is even on our books based of what I have seen of him in this game and also at home to Barca.

Dombaxe in holding midfield had an awful lot of energy and never seemed to tire. Worked incredibly hard, but on the ball he was limited in terms of technical ability and creativity.

Bentaleb had a poor game. I thought he had something about him when I saw him against Barcelona, but in this game he needed too much time on the ball and was caught in possession time and time again. Passing was also inaccurate.

Lameiras showed some good touches early on. Clearly has some technical ability. Struggled to get involved in the game though and later on he also made too many mistakes when he was in possession.

Odowah took his goal very well. Otherwise he was rarely involved. A few times he got past his man, but his crossing was very poor.

McEvoy was never afraid to take his man on. A few times he succeeded, but both decision-making and execution was poor when he got into promising positions.

Coulthirst seemed like a hard-working striker. Full of running, even though the service up to him was very poor at times. Some decent hold-up play with his back towards goal and showed good bodystrength. Not sure his touch is good enough though, and when he did get the ball inside the box he needed too much time to set himself and rarely got a shot off.

I lost track on the subs coming on. Lesniak came on for Lameiras midway through the second half and got involved more on the ball. Tidy enough in possession, but I didn't see as much creativity and incisive passing as I would have liked.
There was also a lanky black kid who came on on the left flank who looked like he had never seen a ball before, possibly Akindayini. Certainly him or Onomah. Either way, he seemed incredibly clumsy.

I agree with almost all of this review. Disappointed with Daniel last night,has a lot more ability than he showed. I was the loud mouth winding up the Portuguese last night. I do not think I will be getting an invite there any time soon.

All I wanted to hear from your report above, was that we played the ball to feet in midfield, pass and move, good technically... but it is the complete opposite.

Is this because all of our best players were somewhere else - loaned or injured etc?

not very good that mason is he? certainly not good enough for our team

He's very good. Untested at premiership level despite being given assurances from AVB in August he'd be involved. Tim Sherwood rates him highly and got in touch with them when they weren't playing him. Now he's playing!

But he realises, despite AVBs promises, he won't be given a chance.

He's very good. Untested at premiership level despite being given assurances from AVB in August he'd be involved. Tim Sherwood rates him highly and got in touch with them when they weren't playing him. Now he's playing!

But he realises, despite AVBs promises, he won't be given a chance.

was he promised he was going to play at doncaster, millwall and lorient?

All I wanted to hear from your report above, was that we played the ball to feet in midfield, pass and move, good technically... but it is the complete opposite.

Is this because all of our best players were somewhere else - loaned or injured etc?

Yep same here, i thought we had moved on from the old way of playing football and that there had been a big shift in focus on youth football being more about skill and less about physical stuff.

Do not mind us losing but i do not like the sound of us not being able to string passes together etc. I really had hoped we had got past this, i mean every 4 years when we lose in the world cup they come up with a new plan for youth football but still nothing happens.

Yep same here, i thought we had moved on from the old way of playing football and that there had been a big shift in focus on youth football being more about skill and less about physical stuff.

Do not mind us losing but i do not like the sound of us not being able to string passes together etc. I really had hoped we had got past this, i mean every 4 years when we lose in the world cup they come up with a new plan for youth football but still nothing happens.
I think that we probably didn't intend to play that way, but we found out early that playing through midfield didn't work out very well. Sporting put pressure on us high up the pitch, and when we tried to pass the ball short, they picked it off us. We then resorted to bypassing the midfield with hopeful balls towards our forwards.

I suppose if our players had been skillful enough, we would have found a way to play through midfield despite Sporting's aggressive pressure though. We tried to to put pressure on them in a similar way, but they were much better at relieving that pressure with a few quick passes. When Sporting seemed to get tired about midway through the second half and sat back more, we got more room to play in midfield and our passing game got better.

I think that we probably didn't intend to play that way, but we found out early that playing through midfield didn't work out very well. Sporting put pressure on us high up the pitch, and when we tried to pass the ball short, they picked it off us. We then resorted to bypassing the midfield with hopeful balls towards our forwards.

I suppose if our players had been skillful enough, we would have found a way to play through midfield despite Sporting's aggressive pressure though. We tried to to put pressure on them in a similar way, but they were much better at relieving that pressure with a few quick passes. When Sporting seemed to get tired about midway through the second half and sat back more, we got more room to play in midfield and our passing game got better.

How much of it then do you think might be down to us missing inglethorpe? if what your suggesting is right then sporting did their research into us and we had no plan b.

Tom Carroll Wins First England U-21 Cap

Tom Carroll earned his first England Under-21 cap as the Young Lions beat Romania 3-0 in Thursday night's friendly at Wycombe.

The young midfielder entered the action alongside Spurs team-mate Adam Smith in the 75th minute at Adams Park.

Danny Rose started and played the first half as England dominated and stretched their winning streak to eight matches. Romania caused a few problems in the early exchanges but it was one-way traffic for most of the game.

Danny had a decent strike at goal saved by Romania goalkeeper Laurentiu Branescu before Wilfried Saha opened the scoring in the 34th minute.

Jack Robinson doubled the lead on 62 minutes from Jonjo Shelvey's cross.

As expected, Tom got on the ball at every opportunity on his arrival and the Spurs pair combined impressively to open up the visitors' defence, Tom's pass between centre-back and full-back released Adam to the byline, but his cutback just evaded Nathan Delfouneso.

Tom hit a stinging volley straight at Branescu before Delfouneso completed the scoing in the last minute, tapping home from Shelvey's free-kick.

The Under-21s now switch Wycombe for Brighton and a final friendly against Austria on Tuesday before Stuart Pearce names his squad for this summer's European U21 Championship in Israel.

Christ, I hope we're not missing Inglethorpe already. F***ing Liverpool...

I doubt that it has anything to do with Inglethorpe.

I'm sure that the Spurs youth teams still try to play the same passing game that they always have, if they possibly can. That will come from the top. It will come from John McDermott, who is not only in charge of the academy as a whole but also, since Inglethorpe's departure, specifically in charge of the NextGen team.

Let's not pretend that our youth teams always played great football when Inglethorpe was still with us. They didn't. They always tried but, sometimes, it just wasn't possible or they weren't quite good enough. Same thing happened against Sporting. That's all.

Went to the nextgen match last night. I have to say that we probably deserved to lose the match. Sporting dominated the first 80 minutes of the match (bar perhaps the the first 15 when play was switching quickly from one side to another), and looked in complete control until we got a penalty that gave us some momentum for the last ten minutes of the match. In extra time, Spurs were suddenly the dominant team actually, and Sporting were looking very tired. Unfortunately, I think they scored both times they crossed the halfway line in the first half of extra time. In fact, they barely did cross the halfway line for their 5th goal. It was a shot from a ridiculous distance.

All in all, Sporting passed the ball around better, however, and their players were both technically more accomplished and tactically better aware than our players. To be a bit blunt, Sporting's players looked like they had actually been taught how to play the game, whilst our lads looked like a bunch of very enthuastic and energetic kids who were playing on instinct and enthusiasm. In addition to that, Sporting were also physically stronger than us. There were some big boys in the Sporting team. The only aspect where we looked superiour was in terms of fitness. We seemed fresher in extra time than Sporting, despite the outcome.

In the first half, we played a very direct game. We hardly ever tried to pass the ball through the midfield, but instead opted for early balls in behind Sporting's defence for Coulthirst and McEvoy to chase. We didn't have much success with that though. When we did try to pass the ball through midfield, we lost possession pretty much every time. The few times we looked threatening was when we found our wingers with balls to feet. They both caused their full backs some problems, but unfortuantely the final ball was normally poor.

In the second half, especially later on, we managed to play through midfield with more success, probably helped by the fact that Sporting were tiring and could no longer maintain the pressure on the ball they had in the first half. We did play some better football at least.

In terms of individual players:
Vigouroux: Looked like it was his first game in goal in his life. At fault for the last three goals. Maybe a bit harsh on the last one which was an incredible and surprising shot, but I think he should have had it covered. The 4th was a tame long-range shot that slipped under him, and he conceded a penalty for the third goal after mistiming an interception for the third or fourth time of the match. Very poor understanding with the center-backs as well it seemed.

Barthram: Our best player of the night I felt. A tiny fella, but quick feet and a decent understanding of the game. Made some decent interceptions. Also fairly comfortable on the ball, and the only one in our team who seemed capable of putting in a decent cross.

Both center backs, Ball and Veljkovic, were very unimpressive. They both looked slow, and failed to see danger until it was too late. Both of them showed that they could take the ball out of the back fairly well, especially late on in the game, and also play some decent balls from the back, but defensively, they were far from sound.

Stewart at left back was absolutely rubbish, in all aspects of the game. Even when using his hands on throw-ins he failed to get the ball in the vicinity of a teammate. Can't believe he is even on our books based of what I have seen of him in this game and also at home to Barca.

Dombaxe in holding midfield had an awful lot of energy and never seemed to tire. Worked incredibly hard, but on the ball he was limited in terms of technical ability and creativity.

Bentaleb had a poor game. I thought he had something about him when I saw him against Barcelona, but in this game he needed too much time on the ball and was caught in possession time and time again. Passing was also inaccurate.

Lameiras showed some good touches early on. Clearly has some technical ability. Struggled to get involved in the game though and later on he also made too many mistakes when he was in possession.

Odowah took his goal very well. Otherwise he was rarely involved. A few times he got past his man, but his crossing was very poor.

McEvoy was never afraid to take his man on. A few times he succeeded, but both decision-making and execution was poor when he got into promising positions.

Coulthirst seemed like a hard-working striker. Full of running, even though the service up to him was very poor at times. Some decent hold-up play with his back towards goal and showed good bodystrength. Not sure his touch is good enough though, and when he did get the ball inside the box he needed too much time to set himself and rarely got a shot off.

I lost track on the subs coming on. Lesniak came on for Lameiras midway through the second half and got involved more on the ball. Tidy enough in possession, but I didn't see as much creativity and incisive passing as I would have liked.
There was also a lanky black kid who came on on the left flank who looked like he had never seen a ball before, possibly Akindayini. Certainly him or Onomah. Either way, he seemed incredibly clumsy.

Brilliant report and I agree with 99% of it.

One error is that Oduwa started and not Onomah.

I mixed the two names up it seems and created an Odowah. Easy mistake to make haha.

A1986_zps80ee8661.jpg

Im off to brighton tomorrow to watch england under 21's i hope to see some of our boys in action. Still tickets available if anyone fancys popping down and meeting up for a pint or two.

Im off to brighton tomorrow to watch england under 21's i hope to see some of our boys in action. Still tickets available if anyone fancys popping down and meeting up for a pint or two.

:^):eek:

Ohh, suits you sir!

Just kidding, enjoy yourself. I used to always go there because my mates are at uni. Great night out.
Give us a write up afterwards, and fingers crossed Tom Carroll gets a start...

team to play WBA

Miles, Fredericks, Byrne, Fryers, Hall, Huddlestone, McEvoy, Luongo (Capt), Parrett, Bentaleb, Ceballos

GOAL! Spurs take the lead as Bentaleb fires home on the volley from McEvoy's cross. 0-1

GOAL! Parrett makes it two. Slotting home with outside of right foot after Ceballos intercepted a loose pass & played him clear. 0-2

Dean Parrett is playing a false 9 role btw..

Last edited:
Back