• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Thank you AVB

As I say, it would have been a waste of his time if the players, coaches etc didn't get it. If they did, then they are all who need to here his thoughts.
Plus would most fans have understood it anyway? He would needed more time to spend refuting BS from the likes of Ashton and Samual anyway.

Don't remember Redknapp doing it; in fact he called us 'idiots'....

indeed, he kept us in the loop by insulting us.

As I say, it would have been a waste of his time if the players, coaches etc didn't get it. If they did, then they are all who need to here his thoughts.
Plus would most fans have understood it anyway? He would needed more time to spend refuting BS from the likes of Ashton and Samual anyway.

Don't remember Redknapp doing it; in fact he called us 'idiots'....

And look at how he ended up. Out on his ****, with the majority (yep, I'm calling it) of fans on this board glad to be rid of him and his bull****. Sigh.

I'd ask you to understand the difference between doing what Wenger, Mourinho and countless other managers do (i.e, explaining their general systems and modes of play they want their players to go through) and explaining 'every move and tactic' to the poor fans, but I suspect you wouldn't listen to me anyway.

Out of curiosity, though, do you do this in real life as well? When someone asks you to hand them the water jug at the dinner table, do you slam your burly fist on the table and yell 'Oh, and I SUPPOSE I HAVE TO BECOME CEO OF THE WATER UTILITY BOARD AS WELL NOW?' before storming out to go chop down a tree or something?

:ross::ross:

All this "I want my Tottenham back" nonsense, I don't. My Tottenham is ****, it consistently over promises and under deliverers. I want a New Tottenham, a Tottenham which wins things, all the ****ing time, a Tottenham that is a behemoth of European football.

I think this is possible, I thought AVB was talented (and perhaps equally importantly), single bloody minded enough to give that ball a great big push. At the very least he certainly had a go, which is something no other Spurs boss has done for a very long time.

From the ever excellent 'Dispatches From a Football Sofa'.

http://dispatchesfromafootballsofa.com/2013/12/17/can-i-have-my-spurs-back-an-epitaph/

Can I Have My Spurs Back?: An Epitaph

That it was Andre Villas-Boas that suffered the inglorious fate of dismissal is largely irrelevant. His was just another face that Daniel Levy in his infinite wisdom had lost faith in. This of course, despite the empty platitudes that are lavished on any incumbent manager when he begins his tenure at White Hart Lane. For Harry Redknapp, see Glenn Hoddle. For Ramos, see Jol. Then look up Santini. Now AVB joins the fools’ gallery; a roll call of men hailed as the key to unlocking Spurs’ ‘potential’, each consigned to the scrapheap by a club in thrall to profit, with little thought for sustained long-term development.

As a consequence of all this, in their desperation to gorge themselves on the riches that come with being part of an elite, the individuals that manage my club have systematically stripped it of all the pride it once had. Oh, how they love to parade Danny Blanchflower’s famous quote about glory at every game. It’s a hollow sentiment now. Broken. It evaporated into nothingness the very moment Spurs led football’s stock market charge that so emphatically put greed-on-the-cheap above its fans. First Irving Scholar, then Alan Sugar, now ENIC presiding over this parade of avarice, sucking the marrow out of the carcass of this grand old institution.

And what of those fans? They are just poor saps who line up obediently at the club shop, year in, year out, to buy the cheap toot that some child worker has stitched together. We’re told that all profits go to developing the team. That we’re making a contribution. Meanwhile, our club’s doing deals with ticketing agencies allowing people to hike up prices to astronomical, self-serving levels. But that’s ok, right? After all, they’ve re-invested the cash for Bale on lots of fabulous new signings. Who cares if most supporters had never heard of them? Seven players, after all. Simple economic rules: quantity over quality. That’ll paper over the cracks for a bit, shut them up for a while. Until next season at least.

Like maniacal evangelist preachers, they promise us heaven in return for our continued faith, just so long as we empty our pockets and keep their champagne flutes flowing, haw-hawing from the cosseted safety of their glass boxes in the West Stand. And when their promises are shown up for the sham they are, they placate the faithful with non-existent devils for us to rage against, shielding themselves from blame. If it’s not lasagne, it’s Chelsea winning the Champions League.

Chelsea. How we love to take the moral high ground when we compare ourselves to the noveau riche morality of our London neighbours. We mock the Oligarch for his impatience and his propensity for wielding his managerial axe with impunity. How are Spurs any different? At least Chelsea have an ever-growing trophy cabinet to justify Roman’s policy.

But at least we’re superior to Arsenal, right? Are we that deluded to place ourselves above a club that has always invested its faith in its managers for sustained periods whilst also successfully managing to build a wonderful modern arena that stays faithful to the club’s community and roots? What do we have? A board that sought to move a North London club to East London on the cheap and is perennially procrastinating over completing a stadium next to where the current one stands.

How many more humiliations do Spurs supporters have to suffer? How many more players will we have to sell before it finally dawns on us that we are a selling club? Imagine if Carrick, Berbatov, Modric and Bale had stayed. Isn’t that the kind of team that we deserve? But I don’t blame those players for leaving. How can I when it’s patently obvious that there is a clear directive at the club to purchase cheaply and sell for more. These players wanted to win trophies after all. To play for more illustrious clubs. To compete at the very highest level. It pains me to say it – but we’re through the looking-glass now so let’s speak a few home truths – Spurs will never be that club.

We can’t delude ourselves any longer that we are a Big Club. We’re a high mid-ranking one with delusions of grandeur. Intermittently successful but ultimately doomed to being also-rans. How can a club that has won two League titles in its history pertain to be bigger than clubs like Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa, both European Cup winners? A trophy every ten years or so is admittedly better than many clubs but they are just passing glories.

The infrastructure for an era of success has never and will never be there because we have a hierarchy in place that doesn’t have the backbone to stick by the decisions and choices it makes. As fans we were entitled to criticise AVB for the abject displays his team put in against Emirates Marketing Project and Liverpool. It’s our club, nominally, and we care. However, kowtowing to pressure on Levy’s part is either cowardice of the highest order or another clear indication that he knows very little about football. AVB, Jol, Ramos, etc deserved more time, whatever the fans may say. After all, we didn’t appoint them. Levy and his acolytes did.

And so the farce continues. How arrogant of Tottenham Hotspur to assume that other ‘lesser’ but more cohesive clubs will relinquish their promising young managers because of the allure of White Hart Lane. A year and a half from now and ENIC will have to feed the GHod of money again. Fire and sell. Fire and sell. And we’ll keep turning up, keep spending, keep believing because we love our club. That’s what we do.

That mythical Keith Burkinshaw quote has been swirling round my head since yesterday’s news broke. Leaving White Hart Lane for the last time, he turned and remarked, “There used to be a football club over there”. There still is. It’s just their club. Not ours. A club run by financiers and hangers-on who turn up on matchdays and scoff their puff-pastries and spend the majority of the game in their suites glugging free beer, lolling about when the game finishes so their spoilt brats can pose for anodyne ‘selfies’ with the players. What grand days out they must have.

My family aside, I love this club more than anything but like a beaten wife who constantly takes back her abuser, a breaking point is eventually reached. The dereliction of duty by those gutting my club has brought me to tears today. How much more can anyone take? Years of emotional investment and obsession, all built on a lie. I used to actually believe all that ‘my eyes have seen the glory’ rubbish. Not any more. My eyes have finally been opened. And I am so very sad.

The last 4 years have been our best consecutive run in the league IN OUR HISTORY aside from 1956-1962 and 1930-1934:

http://www.topspurs.com/thfc-league-history.htm

4th/5th/4th/5th is about as good as it's ever been for us.

Levy has appointed 6 permanent managers:

- Hoddle
- Santini
- Jol
- Ramos
- Redknapp
- AVB

I would say 4 of those appointments were perfectly reasonable at the time/circumstances they were made. The two complete howlers - Santini and Ramos - were under the guidance of those flakey oddballs Anusman and Comolli. In turn, I don't think either of those guys were bad appointments at the time. Just didn't work out.

Spurs is still a rich club, and still very safely in Top 6 big clubs in England in terms of finances, fanbase, attraction to top managers/players, influence, brand recognition etc. We also have a good squad, good facilities (and a stadium could be up in 4 years) and what appears by all accounts a very well run club.

You can go as far back as say 1960-ish and you'd have to say we're as well placed today as any time since to progress.

And look at how he ended up. Out on his ****, with the majority (yep, I'm calling it) of fans on this board glad to be rid of him and his bull****. Sigh.

Yeah, and if Harry had just said "well, I don't really do much tactic work, I just tell em to go out there and run around a bit" that would have made a blind bit of difference to how we thought of him and his approach in the end?

The fact that Fergie probably didn't do it either is all that's needed for me to know about how important it is for a manager to give 'weekly tactical interviews'.
It's the sort of thing you save for an autobiography or between seasons reviews - not for the weekly fanzine!

Yeah, and if Harry had just said "well, I don't really do much tactic work, I just tell em to go out there and run around a bit" that would have made a blind bit of difference to how we thought of him and his approach in the end?

The fact that Fergie probably didn't do it either is all that's needed for me to know about how important it is for a manager to give 'weekly tactical interviews'.
It's the sort of thing you save for an autobiography or between seasons reviews - not for the weekly fanzine!

Arry didn't need to do that as VDV told the world anyway.

The last 4 years have been our best consecutive run in the league IN OUR HISTORY aside from 1956-1962 and 1930-1934:

http://www.topspurs.com/thfc-league-history.htm

4th/5th/4th/5th is about as good as it's ever been for us.

Levy has appointed 6 permanent managers:

- Hoddle
- Santini
- Jol
- Ramos
- Redknapp
- AVB

I would say 4 of those appointments were perfectly reasonable at the time/circumstances they were made. The two complete howlers - Santini and Ramos - were under the guidance of those flakey oddballs Anusman and Comolli. In turn, I don't think either of those guys were bad appointments at the time. Just didn't work out.

Spurs is still a rich club, and still very safely in Top 6 big clubs in England in terms of finances, fanbase, attraction to top managers/players, influence, brand recognition etc. We also have a good squad, good facilities (and a stadium could be up in 4 years) and what appears by all accounts a very well run club.

You can go as far back as say 1960-ish and you'd have to say we're as well placed today as any time since to progress.

Add in the fact that Redknapp's spell as Tottenham manager was the 3rd longest of any Tottenham manager in the last 50 years!
I've no idea where his idea of Tottenham comes from. Its before I born anyway.

Back