• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Technology And Refereeing

I like football, it's the most popular game in the world and its popularity is growing all this without video refs, part of its appeal IMHO is its simplicity.

Accept ref will get things wrong rather than convoluted solutions which create just as many problems.

The game has evolved massively, officiating hasnt, and it needs to.

Once upon a time refs were getting most decisions right because the rules were simpler and the game was slower. Easier to keep pace, easier to make calls.

Now the rules are beyond convoluted, and the fitness/pace/stamina involved means its impossible for one man to keep up with the game and make decisions in a split second.

Even the linesman with only half the pitch to cover struggle to keep up.

If we continue like this it is inevitable that more and more decisions will be incorrect, and I dont think any team should have to accept decisions going against them like that.

VAR is a good solution, its just being badly implemented in these tests. With some refinement I think it can be brilliant.

Once upon a time refs were getting most decisions right because the rules were simpler and the game was slower. Easier to keep pace, easier to make calls.

Now the rules are beyond convoluted, and the fitness/pace/stamina involved means its impossible for one man to keep up with the game and make decisions in a split second.

If we continue like this it is inevitable that more and more decisions will be incorrect, and I dont think any team should have to accept decisions going against them like that.

VAR is a good solution, its just being badly implemented in these tests. With some refinement I think it can be brilliant.
Not sure refs were making more right decisions, just we have more camera angles and replays to get upset when they make the mistakes. The amount of grief they get when a foot is offside but can only be seen after multiple replays and a white line going across, in the past this would have been seen as a correct decision.

Well i have been watching live football for over 50 years and i can assure you there were just as many wrong decisions then as there is now. The only difference is that in todays game there are hundreds of camera angles to stir everything and everyone up.

The NFL has been through all of this, the equivalent of VAR is now integral to the game.
Nfl is stop start and one of its appeals is not its simplicity. Is there not a bit of a backlash now for too many VAR decisions in NFL, don't follow it but think I heard this was the case in Rugby league and I thought NFL.

Not sure refs were making more right decisions, just we have more camera angles and replays to get upset when they make the mistakes. The amount of grief they get when a foot is offside but can only be seen after multiple replays and a white line going across, in the past this would have been seen as a correct decision.

While I accept that, I also think a slower game and simpler rule set (offside is offside, none of this phases of play BS, for example) would lead to more correct decisions in due course anyway.

And logically it follows with more and more complicated rules, and olympic level athletes playing at breakneck speed - it will lead to less decisions made correctly.

Huh?

The game used to be easier to ref as the rules were more relaxed, offside would be flagged based solely on the attackers position, you could launch studs up two footed into a tackle and as long as you brushed the ball on the way through it was a fair tackle.

Will it not be harder for players to fake contact and buy fouls?
Probably but most gamesmanship involves a little contact rather than none and when we say he felt contact so has the right to go down and that even with replays the Everton pen against Pool or the Willian one is seen as a penalty people will be throwing themselves on the floor with the slightest contact with the knowledge it will be given.

ou that

Is that the one hour game that lasts up to three hours because of all the stoppages?

That’s the one, not that far removed from PL football, the 52 min game that takes 2 hours because the ball keeps being lost and the players cheat so much the ref has to add on extra minutes.

I can a'nay understand all this new dangfangled technology ;)
I like football, I like it's simplicity and its flow and don't think the benefits outweigh the positive ... Don't like it there already is football already with VAR go watch that;)

That’s the one, not that far removed from PL football, the 52 min game that takes 2 hours because the ball keeps being lost and the players cheat so much the ref has to add on extra minutes.

That includes the 15 minute half time so its no where near 2 hours (but of course you know that) talk about stretching things.

The game used to be easier to ref as the rules were more relaxed, offside would be flagged based solely on the attackers position, you could launch studs up two footed into a tackle and as long as you brushed the ball on the way through it was a fair tackle.
And the refs decisions was final, not channels showing non stop replays looking for the smallest errors.

That includes the 15 minute half time so its no where near 2 hours (but of course you know that) talk about stretching things.

Sorry, I assumed we were including the time gaps between periods as you quoted 3 hours for an NFL game, which of course includes half time and and breaks at the end of first and third quarters.

Back