• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Techie help - Monitor Resolution

diego_maradona

Steffen Iversen
Staff member
Any IT people able to help me solve a little issue?

Bought a Dell U2711 (beast 27" monitor), capable of displaying 2560x1440 resolution.

I have a Sony Vaio VPCF12X5E, with a HDMI and VGA port.
The graphics card is NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 330M 1GB

Now using both the standard VGA cable and HDMI (1.3 I think) I am only capable of getting a 1920x1080 resolution on it.
I tried the single link DVI cable with a Belkin DVI to VGA adapter but this does not pick up the monitor at all.

Any ideas?

I thought about buying either a HDMI 1.4 lead and a Displayport to HDMI cable. Before wasting my money I thought I'd see if any of you guys might know. Have posted on the Dell forum too, but I trust you guys more :eek:

Hmm works perfectly with my Mrs' Dell laptop as it has a displayport on it, hence why I was wondering whether the displayport to HDMI might be an option. I'm getting a mac soon, but still would like this to work too! I'll keep researching.

Thing is, if the HDMI interface doesn't support it, the displayport won't make a difference

Dam you Wookie. Your right. Through VGA I can get a max of 2048x1152. So don't look like I can use it with the VAIO.

Luckily for me, I have ordered a new Mackbook Pro. I understand I just need a mini displayPort adapter and I'm good to go with that. Fingers crossed. Stupid technology.

Back