• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jermain Defoe's future at Tottenham Hotspur remains uncertain as the club pushes to sign the long-term target Leandro Damiao of Internacional, despite having completed the permanent transfer of Emmanuel Adebayor for £5.5m from Emirates Marketing Project.

QPR, who have agreed a £9m deal with Tottenham for the defender Michael Dawson, are interested in taking Defoe, who has previously played in London for Charlton Athletic and West Ham United.

André Villas-Boas has said that he wants three strikers this season to compete for the one starting berth in his 4-3-3 formation, with the third being the 19-year-old Harry Kane.

The manager's rationale is that it can be problematic to have too many established players fighting for a single place, with the third-choice, inevitably, left to feel frustrated at his lack of sufficient minutes.

Defoe does not appear to be a natural fit for the lone striker role in a 4-3-3 and he and his agent have already had talks with Villas-Boas this summer to discuss the situation.

Villas-Boas has said the right things in public about the England international, who contributed 17 goals for Tottenham last season and scored in their opening day defeat at Saudi Sportswashing Machine on Saturday, but if the club can finalise the pursuit of Damiao, the Brazil No9, then Defoe might find himself surplus to requirement.

Villas-Boas has tracked Damiao throughout the summer and Tottenham have sent a representative to Porto Alegre in an attempt to secure the player's €20m signing. Damiao impressed for Brazil during the Olympic Games in London. Tottenham are also interested in the Shakhtar Donetsk attacking midfielder Willian.

Villas-Boas' squad rebuild is taking shape, with Tom Huddlestone loaned to Stoke City for the season and Sebastien Bassong having joined Norwich City on a permanent basis.

The manager remains open to offers for Heurelho Gomes, David Bentley, Jermaine Jenas, Giovani dos Santos and Rafael Van Der Vaart while Luka Modric's proposed transfer to Real Madrid continues to drag.

Dawson has been moved on as Villas-Boas considers him to lack mobility and to be behind Younes Kaboul, William Gallas, Jan Vertonghen and Steven Caulker in the central defensive pecking order.

He used Dawson as the club captain during pre-season, following Ledley King's retirement, as he was the "reference" point from last season, when he was the vice-captain, but Villas-Boas said last Thursday that he would not announce his captain for the season until the transfer window had neared its end and he had "a better idea of the players that stay with us and come in". Dawson's departure, as such, had been advertised.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/22/qpr-jermain-defoe-spurs-damiao

What the fudge?

Grey Fox on SC

Just to clarify I have been told hopefully two paraded on Saturday in addition to Ade. With regards to the New forward I am led to believe we have a number of hot irons in the fire and if Leandro offer not accepted we are in the position to close one of the others very quickly e.g. within 48 hours.

"I have been told" = first person
"He has been told" = second person
"The Cobra has been told" = third person

Sorry, bugbear of mine. There's a guy in my office who says that all the bloody time.

Hang on...Steve, is that you? ;)

The Cobra works in your office!?!?!

Can we get his autograph!

Interesting quote from Mourinho (via Gary Jacob on Twitter) -

Gary Jacob ‏@garyjacob
Mourinho on #Sahin: Sahin: "I want him to play. I do not care where he goes, Arsenal, Liverpool or Tottenham"

Lots of gooners on Twitter have been saying it's a done deal for them, photoshoot already taken place etc

Last edited:
Grey Fox on SC

Just to clarify I have been told hopefully two paraded on Saturday in addition to Ade. With regards to the New forward I am led to believe we have a number of hot irons in the fire and if Leandro offer not accepted we are in the position to close one of the others very quickly e.g. within 48 hours.

Instead of parading, why not play them!?

"He has been told" = second person

Sorry, bugbear of mine. There's a guy in my office who says that all the bloody time.

Third person, no?

"You have been told" = second person

Fixed it for you :)

just stuck it on..saying with harry they were super fit and did loads and loads of running..avb is more technical, hardly any running and just ball skills

I would assume they're not standing still while practising with the ball. They'll be fit even if they don't go on 10 mile runs every day.

Back