• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We know King and Gallas are on their death beds. We need a new defensive leader. Someone to marshal the defence, a strongman in front of a strong keeper. A Tony Adams, Alan Hansen, defensive legend.

So the question is, given that we are apparently just about to sign Vertonghen, is he the man?

I'd say no. Everyone compares him to Vermaelen, who I don't rate as a defender. He seems to be a decent tackler, and scores goals, but he falls over a lot and he has no positional sense whatsoever. He runs up the pitch into attack and leaves the barn door open. If Vertonghen is the same, well, GHod help us.

Vertonghen was player of the year in the Dutch League, but I'm not sure how much that counts for.

Has anyone here watched him consistently? Any Holland-based contributors who can shed light on whether he's the man to spearhead our defence for the next five years?

You do realise that Adams and Hansen could hardly have been more different types of central defenders?

Mate, hence my nothing personal

- the reason for the reference to the post number is quite often people join this board as a WUM and early on throw out some brick re Tottenham is ....
- A defender being player of the year in a league is usually a good acomplishment

Apologies if I read it the wrong way, months of hearing how everything is wrong at Spurs is getting to me just a little ...

You can't attack somebody personally as you did and try to excuse yourself by saying "nothing personal". That's just not on. Either you attack somebody, and do it, or you play nice and you don't. Don't tinkle about by attacking and adding a girly "nothing personal", when your comments were obviously a straightforward attack.

I am here to to chat about football. You are on some kind of aggressive mission.

You can't attack somebody personally as you did and try to excuse yourself by saying "nothing personal". That's just not on. Either you attack somebody, and do it, or you play nice and you don't. Don't tinkle about by attacking and adding a girly "nothing personal", when your comments were obviously a straightforward attack.

I am here to to chat about football. You are on some kind of aggressive mission.

if you think thats bad, you wont last here very long. Raziel is genuinely one of the most polite and point-focused posters on here. plays the ball and not the man

he picked your post apart, covering a lot of questions i'm sure that alot of us would have asked. if you dont like it then there are other sites that are less........to the point so to speak.

just respond to what he's trying to say and not what you think is the aggressive attack, otherwise the points wont get addressed

have you seen Jan vertonghen play? and how often?

if you think thats bad, you wont last here very long. Raziel is genuinely one of the most polite and point-focused posters on here. plays the ball and not the man

he picked your post apart, covering a lot of questions i'm sure that alot of us would have asked. if you dont like it then there are other sites that are less........to the point so to speak.

just respond to what he's trying to say and not what you think is the aggressive attack, otherwise the points wont get addressed

have you seen Jan vertonghen play? and how often?

Mate, do try to read the posts before jumping in. My question was 'Has anyone seen him play, and is he good?' Do try to keep up. Go and read what I wrote, at least.

He didn't even read my post carefully, let alone set up a sensible response.

He didn't read my posts, you didn't read my posts. I'm here to chat about football. That's what I want. However, if you want a fight, I can take care of myself, and I reckon I'll be here a lot longer than you. Your call.

Mate, do try to read the posts before jumping in. My question was 'Has anyone seen him play, and is he good?' Do try to keep up. Go and read what I wrote, at least.

He didn't read my posts, you didn't read my posts. I'm here to chat about football. That's what I want. However, if you want a fight, I can take care of myself, and I reckon I'll be here a lot longer than you. Your call.

LOL I recon he's a mix between Ledley and Rio Ferdinand, an absolute must signing, any thoughts? I haven't seen him much either ...

Oh my goodness ... just think about something nice for a few seconds you lot (my gran used to say that ... I think it works) ...

The first guy already apologised for an oversight in his reading; the new guy, africanspurs, jumping in to attack me is a mystery.

Ah well. If coming here to chat about football once the missus has gone to bed involves fighting off these marauders then so be it, but I would rather it wasn't so. Aren't things a bit more intellectual or thoughtful round here?

That's just in the League.

76 Goals in 166 matches overall.

Every time i have watched him in a european game he has been largely disappointing.

Remember Hulk does not play as a central striker but rather on wing of an attacking triumvirate - taking that into consideration I think he has a pretty good goal return

The first guy already apologised for an oversight in his reading; the new guy, africanspurs, jumping in to attack me is a mystery.

Ah well. If coming here to chat about football once the missus has gone to bed involves fighting off these marauders then so be it, but I would rather it wasn't so. Aren't things a bit more intellectual or thoughtful round here?

Dude you are obviously a relative newbie if you reckon things are intellectual around here

Sometimes ... you got unlucky. I myself have been brutalised on here - almost a rite of passge: don't be afraid to give it back. My lovely Dutch cousin thinks Vert is remarkable and would suit our style. I do hope it happens.

Sometimes ... you got unlucky. I myself have been brutalised on here - almost a rite of passge: don't be afraid to give it back. My lovely Dutch cousin thinks Vert is remarkable and would suit our style. I do hope it happens.

Mate, you've seen, I won't lie down. In fact, these aggressive people, I'd actually like to drum them out of here so the rest of us can have a sensible chat.

That only applies once you lot go to bed and the Aussies start posting.

That only applies once you lot go to bed and the Aussies start posting.

It's all OK. It seems the africanspurs guy, who was apparently totally drunk, has collapsed and fallen asleep on his grubby fag-burnt carpet amidst his own spew, tinkle and brick, and will wake up in the the morning asking himself where he is, as usual.

I've never seen Verthongen play either but it's a position that needs filling. We need a settled centre back pairing. I really can't remember the last time we had a proper centre back pair without at least one of them being injured more often than not.

wow, you really are sensitive arent you?

you are right though..i do feel you'll be racking up tons of posts here, most of them confrontational against people that couldnt really care less tbh.

It's all OK. It seems the africanspurs guy, who was apparently totally drunk, has collapsed and fallen asleep on his grubby fag-burnt carpet amidst his own spew, tinkle and brick, and will wake up in the the morning asking himself where he is, as usual.

heh, keep it coming..as far as i'm aware no one has abused you...but you really are bordering on starting early with the cussing yourself. hey, i might be here longer than you after all?

you're a kid aren't you?

Back