• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hulk might play in the role that Sturridge doesn't like, out wide right like he does for Porto.
I'm not his biggest fan, but he has a thunderous shot with his left and likes to cut inside

Mata - Torres - Hulk

backup:

Marin - Lukaku - Sturridge

Really? Four clubs in England excluding Chelsea? The guy isn't even that good. I call flimflam.

Edit: Plus Torres will get very tinkley if they buy another striker...

Good enough to score 52 goals in 96 matches for Porto, so at least he knows where the goal is

Is Jan Vertonghen the answer?

We know King and Gallas are on their death beds. We need a new defensive leader. Someone to marshal the defence, a strongman in front of a strong keeper. A Tony Adams, Alan Hansen, defensive legend.

So the question is, given that we are apparently just about to sign Vertonghen, is he the man?

I'd say no. Everyone compares him to Vermaelen, who I don't rate as a defender. He seems to be a decent tackler, and scores goals, but he falls over a lot and he has no positional sense whatsoever. He runs up the pitch into attack and leaves the barn door open. If Vertonghen is the same, well, GHod help us.

Vertonghen was player of the year in the Dutch League, but I'm not sure how much that counts for.

Has anyone here watched him consistently? Any Holland-based contributors who can shed light on whether he's the man to spearhead our defence for the next five years?

Archibald RE: Vertonghen

Quote:
fee not agreed till today i believe.. now discussing payment terms... very close

He's normally quite a good ITK IIRC, so fingers crossed looking good

Let's be honest. Jan Vertonghen isn't the reason Daniel Levy's gone to Amsterdam...

Mate, it's well-known Danny Boy's got a bit of a smoke habit. He's not himself unless he's got a bit of White Haze in his left and a nice cool JD in his right. He's a dude.

Archibald RE: Bale Contract

Quote:

has new deal on the table.. dont know offer though; may not sign the deal but wont be leaving this summer

We know King and Gallas are on their death beds. We need a new defensive leader. Someone to marshal the defence, a strongman in front of a strong keeper. A Tony Adams, Alan Hansen, defensive legend.

So the question is, given that we are apparently just about to sign Vertonghen, is he the man?

I'd say no. Everyone compares him to Vermaelen, who I don't rate as a defender. He seems to be a decent tackler, and scores goals, but he falls over a lot and he has no positional sense whatsoever. He runs up the pitch into attack and leaves the barn door open. If Vertonghen is the same, well, GHod help us.

Vertonghen was player of the year in the Dutch League, but I'm not sure how much that counts for.

Has anyone here watched him consistently? Any Holland-based contributors who can shed light on whether he's the man to spearhead our defence for the next five years?

Mate, where to start with this post (nothing personal)

- You have 41 posts total
- You proceed to comment on a player we haven't bought yet
- You pick him apart for the faults that another player has simply because some people compared them.
- You don't know the value of Dutch player of the year? worst case it means he's distinguished himself (usually hard to do as a defender)
- Then basically admit all your doubts are unfounded because you actually haven't seen the guy play much?

He's captain of Ajax btw as well.

If your question is

- Do we need a leader in the backline
- Is potentially Jan that guy

I can't answer, but "the sky is falling" post because someone we haven't bought yet doesn't have a USDA approved stamp on his ass is a little over the top.

Definately.

Watched him against United at OT and he looked like he was born to play there, We need players that don't bottle it at OT.

IF it's true that it's 70k a week for Bale then that's a joke.

It should be a 100k and to fund it; Sell Ekotto's hair.

Mate, where to start with this post (nothing personal)

- You have 41 posts total
- You proceed to comment on a player we haven't bought yet
- You pick him apart for the faults that another player has simply because some people compared them.
- You don't know the value of Dutch player of the year? worst case it means he's distinguished himself (usually hard to do as a defender)
- Then basically admit all your doubts are unfounded because you actually haven't seen the guy play much?

He's captain of Ajax btw as well.

If your question is

- Do we need a leader in the backline
- Is potentially Jan that guy

I can't answer, but "the sky is falling" post because someone we haven't bought yet doesn't have a USDA approved stamp on his ass is a little over the top.

Crikey, you are grumpy. I posted some reasonable questions, asking if anyone had seen the guy we are about to buy. You attack. Ah well. Maybe there's a reason other clubs' fans say we are narky. You make a direct personal attack on me and try to excuse yourself by entering the caveat (nothing personal).

- 41 posts is irrelevent. Is there a threshhold above which you know about football and below which you don't?
- I comment on the player because apparently we are going to buy him.
- I didn't pick him apart for Vermaelen's faults, but they grew up together, they went to Ajax together, they played together. Then Arsenal took Vermaelen. Everyone makes the comparison. Haven't you noticed?
- Dutch player of the year isn't worth much. It isn't a strong league.
- My doubts are founded, not because I haven't seen him play, but because I doubt things. I don't buy a car because somebody tells me it's good. I check. That's why I am asking if anybody can say whether he's decent or not.

Jesus. How unpleasant some people make these discussions.

IF it's true that it's 70k a week for Bale then that's a joke.

It should be a 100k and to fund it; Sell Ekotto's hair.

Why is that a joke? If our pay structure ceiling is 70k then thats a fair offer. He's not that much better than any of our other top earners (yet)....

Mate, hence my nothing personal

- the reason for the reference to the post number is quite often people join this board as a WUM and early on throw out some brick re Tottenham is ....
- A defender being player of the year in a league is usually a good acomplishment

Apologies if I read it the wrong way, months of hearing how everything is wrong at Spurs is getting to me just a little ...

The Dutch league isn't a strong league in general but there are plenty of very talented players in the league. To write off being Dutch player of the year is a stupid thing to do.....

Back