• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How can you judge a window before it is complete?

As a tangent, personally I feel the window should shut the week before the season starts - make a lot more sense to me as I do share your frustrations.

As it is though the window runs through August, and you cant judge the success of it until you see how things are on Sep 1st IMHO.

You don't think he knew the situation when he walked in?
You also don't think he wants to be 100% sure that when we spend the money, we spend it on a class player but also a team player?
Look, I personally love Ade and think he'd be great, but you can be sure to 20 or whatever million it would cost to get him (wages included) are a factor as much as the desire the player has to play for us! I believed he loved it here, and I believed that the money would compromise, but I was always aware that it was not a slam dunk and frankly, I think AVB might be one of the people wondering whether the money should go on him versus a.n.other.

The biggest problem in this entire transfer equation has been Modric. Levy always set a price, the price was firm, there were compromises to be had but suddenly Madrid felt they were the only game in town and refuse to pay more than 27 mill, thinking it would blackmail Levy into selling. He won't, not for that, and good for him. But of course it's a problem for AVB as THIS is where we could get hurt; if Madrid schtump up the money in two weeks time, and we then get Moutinho in on deadline day, THAT would be disruptive...yeah, I'm sure AVB is frustrated, but at situations more than direct circumstances?

dont get me started on Modric:) this is Berbatov and summer 2008 all over again. Back then, iirc Utd offered 22-24 mill early on, Levy got pi$$ed off and told Fergie to get lost, it dragged on and on until eventually Levy got his 31 mill but didnt have enough time to buy anyone decent in the last hours of the window. Again, iirc, Ramos and Comolli had a back up plan for Berba's departure, a certain Diego Milito at relegated Zaragoza, and his teammate Sergio Garcia as another attacker to join the ranks. Milito waited and waited for a sign from Spurs, there were no other decent teams in for him, and he waited till deadline day when his patience couldnt take it any longer and he jumped at an offer from Genoa

honestly, if Real have offered 27 mill plus 8 mill in add ons, and that seems to be the case according to most observers, i do think Levy needs to personally sit down face to face with his Real counterpart and thrash out a deal. Even if Levy has to accept 30 mill plus 5 mill in add ons, id fcuking hope he does the deal, for the sake of our club at least. Because to hold on till 31st Aug in order to get his 40 mill will make us a bit richer in the bank but on the pitch we will be fcuked because we wont have time to get in a viable replacement, just like in 2008

How can you judge a window before it is complete?

As a tangent, personally I feel the window should shut the week before the season starts - make a lot more sense to me as I do share your frustrations.

As it is though the window runs through August, and you cant judge the success of it until you see how things are on Sep 1st IMHO.

I dont judge a window I guess.

I judge the squad and what it needs to be ready for the start of the season. I think people have different perspectives. I look at the squad. You look at the window. I dont think we are both wrong in how we view it just different perspectives. I am sure you share levys perspective and im sure I share AVBs perspective

Am not sure he appreciates that the importance of getting off to a good start or the need for players to have time to gel. Every point is critical - surely we should have learned that from last season

i think from mods, berbs, vdv, bale, walker the lesson is:
get them early
get them late
or get them young

other wise we end up with pav, bentley, etc

I truly hope you're right, mate

The way I see it, our deals simply slowed down while we were in the US. AVB was assessing the squad, and the only one that went through was Pienaar - because he was delibrately left behind so he could complete the deal. Also, any links of players to us almost completely dried up during the tour and there wasn't much news flying about at all. I think most of the club was simply concentrating on increasing our profile in the US rather than transfer business. Now we are back that's all gonna change.

We are obviously missing a striker, so it will get filled IMO. It will probably be Ade in the first instance, and then if we are lucky and act decisively in our bid maybe Lewa too with Defoe moving on.

Rather than strikers, I'm actually much more worried about Arsenal getting Sahin and Carzola if it goes through for them. They are good players and will make them much more competitive with us. Strikers will get sorted without too much hassle IMO, but we need quality in midfield like Arsenal are getting. At the very least cover for Lennon and Bale.

dont get me started on Modric:) this is Berbatov and summer 2008 all over again. Back then, iirc Utd offered 22-24 mill early on, Levy got pi$$ed off and told Fergie to get lost, it dragged on and on until eventually Levy got his 31 mill but didnt have enough time to buy anyone decent in the last hours of the window. Again, iirc, Ramos and Comolli had a back up plan for Berba's departure, a certain Diego Milito at relegated Zaragoza, and his teammate Sergio Garcia as another attacker to join the ranks. Milito waited and waited for a sign from Spurs, there were no other decent teams in for him, and he waited till deadline day when his patience couldnt take it any longer and he jumped at an offer from Genoa

honestly, if Real have offered 27 mill plus 8 mill in add ons, and that seems to be the case according to most observers, i do think Levy needs to personally sit down face to face with his Real counterpart and thrash out a deal. Even if Levy has to accept 30 mill plus 5 mill in add ons, id fcuking hope he does the deal, for the sake of our club at least. Because to hold on till 31st Aug in order to get his 40 mill will make us a bit richer in the bank but on the pitch we will be fcuked because we wont have time to get in a viable replacement, just like in 2008

Agreed here. Levy said he learnt from that fiasco and I hope he has done, we simply cannot muck around again. We need to balance getting a good financial deal with having the squad to compete on the pitch, and it all needs to be done in time.

Can't be a coincidence. Levy obviously feels its the best way to run his business. I feel it's too late.

Same here - feel massively disapponited after a brief glimps of hope earlier, especially if the scum land Cazorla. Disaster, unless Levy pulls of a stunner in the last few weeks. Time to step up and match those words!

Of corse you can judge a window before it shuts. If we don't signa striker and lose Augusts games but on the last day we get two strikers. It's still a fudge up.i like levy, but he runs us as a business to the detriment of results in transfer windows.

I personally think we have a great squad, but we have gaping holes. Other teams don't have as good a squads but have much more balance within them (yes you can argue that makes it a better squad but that's not my point). It only takes a few signings for us to have a truly sensational squad, but without them we will struggle because we don't have the balance.

How we have not signed a striker is beyond a fudging joke. I think Saha suits this team more than Kane and Defoe!

Levy would rather save a few million then the extra few points we would get!

I all honesty, I'm bricking it. I confident we'll get someone in (though the longer it goes on the more average I think they'll be) but the longer it takes the more damage to the team it has.

I dont judge a window I guess.

I judge the squad and what it needs to be ready for the start of the season. I think people have different perspectives. I look at the squad. You look at the window. I dont think we are both wrong in how we view it just different perspectives. I am sure you share levys perspective and im sure I share AVBs perspective

Shoudlnt you wait a couple of weeks before getting to upset? :-"

Im not taking either Levy or AVBs perspective, I just tend to think while it would be great to finalise the squad now (in time for the season) Im happier judging the state of the squad when it is rubber stamped. Its a bit crap to go into Saudi Sportswashing Machine without all the players you might want, but as long as we get them in the end I can live with it.

If we dont of course Ill be bitching as much as anyone!

Because starting the season without addressing, yet again one of the most improtant (and lond gaping) areas is poor, imv. Not to mention ideally should have happened before pre-season.

Why does it always have to be last minute circus every single year?

I dont know. If I were to guess, honestly, I would say a lot of it is financial constraint.

The team is in such a position, and with such aspirations that (as Harry often pointed out) it needs top/special talent to improve it. That sort of talent, in this market, is often out of reach to clubs of our stature (both in pull and finance). Therefore deals are extrememly complicated and fraught with risk, and the game of brinksmanship we so often see might be the only way to get a deal on terms we can handle (which of course relies on the clock piling in the pressure and is hugely risky)

The alternative is to know the market. Something I think Comolli was pretty good at actually, moving for the lieks of Berbatov, Modric, Kaboul, Ekotto.... Although Comollis big failing was his eye was on two years away instead of the "now". Its something I think Redknapp wasnt so good at, with lots of talented players we might have grabbed passing by and out of reach. I would like to see AVB come back to this ideal more than gambling...

There is no chance the window will close without additions to the front line whether that be permanent or loan deals by September 1st. AVB knows perfectly well that Kane and Defoe will not cut it for a run at a CL spot, backup at best.

The striker area is the one critical area that needs strengthening I'm sure Levy and AVB are working hard to bring the right players into the club. It'll be like the last couple of seasons when clubs all rush to buy in the last few days of the window.

one or two deadline deals are ok when the squad needs a little boost in certain areas, but they are not ok for the first team. Big players, first teamers, need to be signed earlier. Plus, the longer it goes on and we get closer to deadline day, the less likely clubs will want to sell their top players. They too will have no time to find a replacement. Its a mess all round

Back