• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: The 25K posts and it's all gone very quiet summer transfer thread #Levytime

I'm just wondering if he is best deployed in this role. If he is defensively good enough to play there for a team expecting to finish 4th. If he will have the discipline to not roam all over the place in order to create havoc, as he has done when I've seen him for Fulham. He will be less of a 'big fish in a small pond', I'm just wondering how this will affect him and if he can cope with the step up.

I think he's a brilliant footballer, I've just learned over the years that prematurely jizzing everywhere when we sign a good footballer is pointless unless they fit smoothly into the team and system. If he does this I have no doubt he'll be a success, but I am naturally apprehensive at the moment, having not seen him play in a Spurs shirt.

The few times I've watched him he's been good defensively, and not that stats tell the whole story - but they certainly back it up. And he's maybe more disciplined than you think

I'm just wondering if he is best deployed in this role. If he is defensively good enough to play there for a team expecting to finish 4th. If he will have the discipline to not roam all over the place in order to create havoc, as he has done when I've seen him for Fulham. He will be less of a 'big fish in a small pond', I'm just wondering how this will affect him and if he can cope with the step up.

I think he's a brilliant footballer, I've just learned over the years that prematurely jizzing everywhere when we sign a good footballer is pointless unless they fit smoothly into the team and system. If he does this I have no doubt he'll be a success, but I am naturally apprehensive at the moment, having not seen him play in a Spurs shirt.

I think you underestimate his defensive abilities.

Re: The summer transfer thread, Dembele pg 1277 #Levytime

Please Dembele talk in the Dembele signed thread.. this thread is about if's, but's and maybe's.

Broadly I dont disagree mate, but think about what you are saying. Quick transition? So the opposition have pressed us back, we break their attack and try to switch it on them? Dembele gets the ball in the centre and strides past 3 flat footed players - they are out of the equation, and then passes it into Bale in space? Doesnt strike me as anything but a quick transition attack.

RE your edit - Im talking about both aspects of your post, quick transition and "or quick switch to a winger with a bit of space?". Im in midfield, I have an easy ball to a fullback to my side, who in turn has an easy ball to the winger in front of him. Alternatively, the full back pushing up has allowed the winger to drift into space - I have an easy ball straight to him. I dont believe you have to be the most cultured passer in the game to pull of a quick switch to the flank, I think its more essential to have the passing option in the first place (something early observations tell me AVB is working on)

i agree with that last sentence for sure, but i dont agree with the idea that dembele carrying the ball is going to instigate a proper transition counter attack..someone, like you said, wil have to be a zonal option but then thats one side that needs doing.....the main thing is that you have to get the ball to that option as quickly as possible to get the opposition on the back foot

agreed you dont have to be a pass master to pull this off too but it certainly would be an added advantge if you could be a very good passer both long and short....get the ball at the edge of your box..look up and in a split second release the man in the open zone that has just created a passing lane for you...irrespective of if they are on the wing on near your vicinity.

the best counter attacking teams were arsenal, united and us ....all three teams had able bodies passers in the centre of midfield that could turn defense into attack straight away

That video proves little though, my issue with him playing deep isn't entirely to do with the fact that I think he is a bigger threat to the opposition higher up the pitch. I think we need more of a defensive presence alongside Sandro/Parker. Maybe he can provide this but I haven't seen anything to suggest he is competent defender. He is a good enough footballer to play deep when we have the ball, but when we don't have the ball will he be a liability? Does this video show a great deal of defensive work? What about every other game?

I'm not saying this guy will be brick, I'm just saying I think we might be a bit flimsy with him in midfield as well as VDV/Sig. Undoubtedly he is a class act, but I haven't seen him enough playing deep to make me certain he'll be good as a direct replacement for Modric. I've always thought his best skills were getting half a yard, slipping around opponents and sliding in a cheeky killer ball, something he has less chance to do in a more defensive position.

Then again, the more I think about it, Dembele won't be a direct replacement for Modric, he has a good engine and he could do a good job box-to-box as long as he can press well. Perhaps my bad mood today is just spilling over into football as well!

Modric was never that great defensively. On numerous occasions I saw him leave a player that then went onto score. Dembele is of a more physical presence and actually had one of the best % of defensive tackles last season.

Take my word on him, he will be a success & will provide more than Modric does in all round play and goals for less than half the price.

Who came up with this song again? obviously we probably won't sing it but it makes me laugh every time

We just signed you..
and this is craaazy
but fudge off Modric
We've got Dembele

Who came up with this song again? obviously we probably won't sing it but it makes me laugh every time

We just signed you..
and this is craaazy
but fudge off Modric
We've got Dembele

It's terrible - 30 infraction points at least

/smiley deluxe

still think we should go for Remy. Affordable, talented.

Afellay too would be a handy capture. Big no to Willian

Placar Esportes ‏@Placar_Esportes
O Tottenham oferece 25 milhões de euros pelo meiocampista português Joao Moutinho, do Porto.

Since we now have a Dembele thread and since I'm a greedy bastard...

Do you guys think we'll sign another creative central midfielder? I still think we need one if we're going to send Huddlestone out on loan, with just Dembele we'll still be just one injury away from having very little creativity in the central two with Sandro, Parker and Livermore as the options. Seeing as Dembele can play in several more attacking roles as well we could still give plenty of games to both him and another player should we sign one.

I doubt we will sign someone very expensive like Moutinho, but is there someone out there that we could get that would bring creativity that would be cheaper? Seeing as we have Demble who should slot right in with his experience from the PL we could "gamble" by signing someone that might need longer to settle in.

Since we now have a Dembele thread and since I'm a greedy bastard...

Do you guys think we'll sign another creative central midfielder? I still think we need one if we're going to send Huddlestone out on loan, with just Dembele we'll still be just one injury away from having very little creativity in the central two with Sandro, Parker and Livermore as the options. Seeing as Dembele can play in several more attacking roles as well we could still give plenty of games to both him and another player should we sign one.

I doubt we will sign someone very expensive like Moutinho, but is there someone out there that we could get that would bring creativity that would be cheaper? Seeing as we have Demble who should slot right in with his experience from the PL we could "gamble" by signing someone that might need longer to settle in.

I would think Moutinho still remains a big possibility, we have a very long season...

I would expect Mautinho + creative forward that can play either flank or in the centre

Johnny Phillips ‏@SkyJohnnyP
Jermain Defoe update: deal had been agreed at Liverpool until manager changed. His agent is back in talks

I haven't seen anything of Willian, well maybe one game. I have no opinion on the transfer and I don't really put too much into wiki stats, but if AVB thinks he's the right player for the team then I'm happy to see it happen. I don't know how anyone can be really against it unless they're avid Ukrainian footballer watchers. Jetset said we've moved onto someone else anyway :-"

Placar Esportes ‏@Placar_Esportes
O Tottenham oferece 25 milhões de euros pelo meiocampista português Joao Moutinho, do Porto.

Sandro, Dembele and Moutinho in midfield???? sex wee

Back