• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Poch might have signed a new contract but if we do not sign anyone he will be well hacked off, and the next time Real Madrid comes knocking, well who knows....

I said the other day about it and got slated on it, but you would be a fool to think he is not getting slightly pished off
Some like to believe that Poch is so in love with Spurs no matter how negative the situation he’d still be happy - he signed a new contract so must mean he’ll always be over the moon with things.....

I said the other day about it and got slated on it, but you would be a fool to think he is not getting slightly pished off

His comments were, essentially, what Bruce should have said. IE - I dont do the deals, so talk to the people that do if you want to know what is/isnt happening.

I have no doubt he is frustrated. Without question, if at all possible, he would have liked all our business done before the world cup and set ready for the season ahead. So, same as every other manager out there?

Will this be stressing him out? Yeah, probably.

Does that mean theres a rift between he and Levy and thats it, next offer he gets he is off...?

Well, no. From what Ive seen of Poch, I believe, if he believes Levy is doing his best - and understands how/why things are as they are, then he will accept it.

Of course, if he thinks he is being taken for a ride thats different.

Take a guess as to which side most Spurs fans will fall on?

This is getting bloody silly now. Poch clearly wanted bodies in early, and kind of said as much at the end of last season. However, we’re now looking at the worst window in terms of failing to strengthen which I can remember since windows began.
I get that the market is tough yada yada yada, But come on - surely we’d made plans and arrangements before the window opened. It’s like we only play at transfers last minute on the last day - and we’re getting worse at it, not better!

Strange that everyone has already sold Toby, Rose, Dembele

I think we do need to freshen the squad but unless all 3 above go we are still stronger than last year.

Toby, Lamela, Winks missed a fair portion of the season
Skipp / Amos have pushed themselves into squad contention
KWP is a year older
Moura looks fitter and sharper with a pre-season

What we missing is a premium signing and/or replacements should any of the above leave. However as they havent then what we maybe wanted was 1 player at this stage

Does that mean theres a rift between he and Levy and thats it, next offer he gets he is off...?

Well, no. From what Ive seen of Poch, I believe, if he believes Levy is doing his best - and understands how/why things are as they are, then he will accept it.

Of course, if he thinks he is being taken for a ride thats different.

It does not need to be a rift for someone to go though, he might just believe that our lack of action in the transfer marketing belittles his on the pitch ambitions.

If Poch is on the clubs wavelength on transfers and happy which I hope he is then there will be little excuses on finishing 4th because Poch should be looking at his personel and thinking what do I need to achieve my goals and if he is happy with what he has then the pressure is not then on Levy its on him. Can't have it both ways really.

Strange that everyone has already sold Toby, Rose, Dembele

The point was if Toby stays its not good unless he does so under a new contract, if Toby stays on the same terms he will just be a body in the squad which makes us weaker than him going and being replaced, in my honest opinion.

I don't see Dembele coming out either to clarify his future, he was quick to come out and say he would not make a decision till after the world cup

It makes me chuckle that everyone is so desperate for us to sign someone. Buying a player, any player does not guarantee anything. So what if we dont buy anyone?, we have a pretty well oiled team with pieces coming back from injury. I would be more excited to see another of our young players make a claim in the first team than us just almost buy someone for the sake of it.

Its like people are so desperate they will take any signing. Zaha, Grealish, Cook. Meh! nothing there to get bothered about.

As a club we have made the biggest signing ever in building this new stadium. It will stand us in good stead for a very long time.

This is getting bloody silly now. Poch clearly wanted bodies in early, and kind of said as much at the end of last season. However, we’re now looking at the worst window in terms of failing to strengthen which I can remember since windows began.
I get that the market is tough yada yada yada, But come on - surely we’d made plans and arrangements before the window opened. It’s like we only play at transfers last minute on the last day - and we’re getting worse at it, not better!

I think it boils down to this.

Kovacic on deadline day, or Drinkwater on June 1st.

Thats the nature of our place in things. You want it done up front, you get what you reliably can. Almost certainly, IMO, not of the sort of quality Poch will have his eyes on though.

Or, you work all bloody summer long, make the right opportunity, and then get someone like Kovacic. I would guess, much more pleasing to old Pochy-poo's.

My old boss always used to say, "you can have Quality, Cheap, and Quick - but you can only ever pick two". This is the same kind of thing.

It does not need to be a rift for someone to go though, he might just believe that our lack of action in the transfer marketing belittles his on the pitch ambitions.

If Poch is on the clubs wavelength on transfers and happy which I hope he is then there will be little excuses on finishing 4th because Poch should be looking at his personel and thinking what do I need to achieve my goals and if he is happy with what he has then the pressure is not then on Levy its on him. Can't have it both ways really.

I think, honestly, Poch understands the difference between 'want' and 'need', and is a realist.

I think Poch understands our place in the food chain, and while that might frustrate at times, it doesnt mean theres an issue.

As above, I think he would take missing a pre-season and getting someone in last minute - if that meant getting the "correct" player in.

Incidentally - I think he would also take no player, rather than the wrong player.

I think, no matter what the situation is at the club, a tempting offer is tempting (though quite what that looks like might vary depending).

I think it boils down to this.

Kovacic on deadline day, or Drinkwater on June 1st.

Thats the nature of our place in things. You want it done up front, you get what you reliably can. Almost certainly, IMO, not of the sort of quality Poch will have his eyes on though.

Or, you work all bloody summer long, make the right opportunity, and then get someone like Kovacic. I would guess, much more pleasing to old Pochy-poo's.

My old boss always used to say, "you can have Quality, Cheap, and Quick - but you can only ever pick two". This is the same kind of thing.

I think, honestly, Poch understands the difference between 'want' and 'need', and is a realist.

I think Poch understands our place in the food chain, and while that might frustrate at times, it doesnt mean theres an issue.

As above, I think he would take missing a pre-season and getting someone in last minute - if that meant getting the "correct" player in.

Incidentally - I think he would also take no player, rather than the wrong player.

I think, no matter what the situation is at the club, a tempting offer is tempting (though quite what that looks like might vary depending).

Sounds good. I look forward to Kovacic arriving next week then.

The point was if Toby stays its not good unless he does so under a new contract, if Toby stays on the same terms he will just be a body in the squad which makes us weaker than him going and being replaced, in my honest opinion.

I don't see Dembele coming out either to clarify his future, he was quick to come out and say he would not make a decision till after the world cup

If Toby Stays without a new contract, he will just be a body. If he is going to let his contract run down, then he is unlikely to be given a place in either the Premier League or CL squads if non-HG places are at a premium. You, and he, need to be aware of the risk to him. His last big contract could quite possibly be smaller than his current one if he runs his contract down to when he is coming up to 30, with a year of no top-class football and 18 months or so of very little top-class football behind him. Clubs are not going to be crowding around trying to get him in those circumstances, and he currently appears to have only one team in for him, in any event.
Your comment about Dembele doesn't make a lot of sense, with all due respect. The World Cup finished weeks ago.

My old boss always used to say, "you can have Quality, Cheap, and Quick - but you can only ever pick two".

Your boss agrees with me it seems. Quality + Quick then please.

Problem is, we seem obsessed with adding the 3rd criterion “cheap” which your boss mentioned, despite saying you can only have two of the three!

Back