• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

That’s not the case, players that would improve the squad are out there.

Upgrades on Sissoko?

It’s just incredibly frustrating that us and Saudi Sportswashing Machine (a crisis club) are dragging behind.
We could easily get an upgrade on Sissoko but we are looking for an upgrade on Dier / Wanymama / Dembele / Winks in that position- as a squad player a marginal updgrade on Sissoko wont do a lot (especially if we are unable to sell him).

We seem to believe we can buy better players by leaving it later in the window, we want quality.

Its a high risk strategy that has its problems and is not the best but one we are forced into due to the fact that the players that improve us improve the 5 richer clubs.

Incidentally, it really is a Spurs problem more than other clubs.

How many teams can you name competing with the big guns in their division, both on the field and for players, while being absolutely dwarfed by them financially?

Surely it’s all in context.

The three teams promoted this year will be competing for the same pool of players with the teams already in the PL

We could easily get an upgrade on Sissoko but we are looking for an upgrade on Dier / Wanymama / Dembele / Winks in that position- as a squad player a marginal updgrade on Sissoko wont do a lot.

Disagree on the Sissoko.

How much did he play last year due to injuries?

We wont meet the asking price prior to others doing their business as the above is likely to happen (Willian / Hazard). If Brighton had waited until the end of the window would it have been more likely that they could have signed Madison - we think it is.

all IMO.

Then we can’t complain if we don’t win anything and levy can’t complain if we don’t get top 4.

The amount of money wasted on players Njie etc adds up and if we had spent that bit extra would have saved money in the long run.

Still a week left....

We need to meet the asking price first, which seems to be the issue.

There is always a pecking order - Brighton signed a player Leicester wanted.

So this is how it plays out

Spurs: Hello Palace how much for Zaha
Palace: 100m
Zaha Agent: Chelsea, Palace are saying 100m for Zaha
Chelsea: Sorry not interested
Spurs: Look the player wants to leave - few loops etc with eventually
Palace: Ok 60m and we have a deal
Agent: Chelsea, Palace have accepted 60m from spurs
Chelsea: Ok we are interested and will match the offer let Zaha know
Palace: Spurs chelsea have matched the offer, would you like to get into a bidding war

So if you are saying we should just pay the 100m then yes we may then be able to get the player, which is how West Ham got Anderson, but is also how Roma lost Malcom

Surely it’s all in context.

The three teams promoted this year will be competing for the same pool of players with the teams already in the PL

Its a whole different level.

Those teams will be looking for journeymen players happy to just take the money, anything that will keep them up.

And the teams the are competing with - prime relegation candidates, arent significantly better off than them. A simple bump in wages will often be the difference.

Wolves, Cardiff and Fulham have the mighty Brighton, Huddersfield, Palace to fight for players.

Us?

Liverpool just spent £60m on a keeper.
Utd broke the world record for a player (at the time) just because they could. And have since offered some £350k+ per week to Sanchez.
City just spent £60m on literally a squad player....

It is a whole different ball game, not even remotely comparable IMHO.

Incidentally, it really is a Spurs problem more than other clubs.

How many teams can you name competing with the big guns in their division, both on the field and for players, while being absolutely dwarfed by them financially?
It's basically the same problem Atletico and Dortmund's have had and managed really well.
We do a similar thing to them.

Then we can’t complain if we don’t win anything and levy can’t complain if we don’t get top 4.

The amount of money wasted on players Njie etc adds up and if we had spent that bit extra would have saved money in the long run.

Still a week left....
Yes we need to do more with less. The money wasted is the other side of the business we do, we have to take punts on players we think have a high upside. We sometimes win (Tripier) but its more likely we will lose (Jansen) - I think we do better than most.

The cards are stacked against us to make the top four or win a cup certainly, its just a fact of life when in a league with 5 richer clubs. On the up side it looks like Chelsea may drop down a level and perhaps Arsenal - if they start spending similar wages / fees as us our expectations rise.

* the additional input regarding moaning is the fact we have the most expensive tickets in the league, if we drop out the top 4 this will lead to complaints.

It's basically the same problem Atletico and Dortmund's have had and managed really well.
We do a similar thing to them.

Probably the most comparable teams.

Athletico seem to build on a shoe string, Im not sure they go for players primed for Barca and Madrid, rather buy to suit their system very well. They do do an excellent job though, to be fair.

Dortmund havent been that good the last few years have they? Honestly not that up to speed on the Bundesliga.

Probably the most comparable teams.

Athletico seem to build on a shoe string, Im not sure they go for players primed for Barca and Madrid, rather buy to suit their system very well. They do do an excellent job though, to be fair.

Dortmund havent been that good the last few years have they? Honestly not that up to speed on the Bundesliga.
Atletico do it well on Net basis but do spend big on fees (€70M on Lemar / €66M on Costa) etc.

They tend to sell pretty well as well though dont they?

I think they are most akin to us from the leagues I am familiar with.

And with just 2 options suggested as comparable, I think it speaks to how unique our situation is.

I still think we will end up with martial in,Toby out and de light.
Man u are posturing, and when it goes belly up for Jose he can blame the board for selling martial on him.

Grealish and cook we might pick up depending on how much we have left over, and zaha is similar but also a shot across utds bows.
If UTD had played ball it would have been all tied up weeks ago.

They tend to sell pretty well as well though dont they?

I think they are most akin to us from the leagues I am familiar with.

And with just 2 options suggested as comparable, I think it speaks to how unique our situation is.
It will be interesting to compare how us and Atletico do in the next five years, similar models, both big cities (I know Madrid is more like Manchester, but spain doesn't have a London), both moved to new stadiums.

They tend to buy the kind of players that Bayern buy/Real buy to bolster the squad - so they can offer regular football Vs bench warming at Real. The likes of Lemar and Griezmann.

Atletico have 2 teams in the league / Dortmund have 1 - we have 5. *we have advantage financially when the player is agnostic to the league they play in.
I think it roughly balances, more clubs interested but more players want to play in the PL.
But that def adds to the poker tactics needed in tactics here

I still think we will end up with martial in,Toby out and de light.
Man u are posturing, and when it goes belly up for Jose he can blame the board for selling martial on him.

Grealish and cook we might pick up depending on how much we have left over, and zaha is similar but also a shot across utds bows.
If UTD had played ball it would have been all tied up weeks ago.

That's what I think too

But I don't think we'll make 3 signings in the remaining week now. Plus Skipp and Amos have alleviated the need for a squad filler midfielder, even if Winks and Wanyama don't make the season start.

I think we'll leave offloading and replacing Dembele and Rose till next summer now.

Back