• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Subway.. What no bacon!?

i meant his choice of breakfast on that occasion is irrelevant to this discussion, just because he's going to cricket doesn't mean he has to eat a fry up in a traditional english cafe

its choice, which is a great thing to have, but its a two way street, you can choose where to eat, and establishments such as subway can choose what they provide

It is totally relevant; SH you have an allotment don't you? How much stuff do you grow that will not be consumed?

On another note; I prefer to get my lunch from an M&S - now I don't eat red meat (I eat certain fish and chicken breast) and I'm shocked at how much pig meat they stick into everything (even when it doesn't seem necessary). Here was me thinking they had Jewish background (or has that changed?)

Anything that is edible will be eaten, whether it's my family, parents or friends that eat it.

Personally my thoughts regarding this whole story is it's not the customers they are kneeling down to, it's there workforce, there franchise owners, who probably don't want to work with pork products. Saying its a business choice is shall we say more palatable.

first subway, then McDonald's, then Burger King, then Pizza Hut, KFC actually are halal I believe already in some stores. (I don't eat at these places, only subway).

Last edited:
i meant his choice of breakfast on that occasion is irrelevant to this discussion, just because he's going to cricket doesn't mean he has to eat a fry up in a traditional english cafe

its choice, which is a great thing to have, but its a two way street, you can choose where to eat, and establishments such as subway can choose what they provide

Yes they can choose, but don't change what you had to suit someone else, is that not discrimination.

[video=youtube_share;d3S2gkKnPbY]http://youtu.be/d3S2gkKnPbY[/video]

Anyway, I don't see why they cannot have a little bacon in the fridge. :lol: why can they not look after everyone.

Last edited:
i agree, all i can think is that its a branding thing and they'll get more business this way as thats the search term people look for when they require this kind of thing

I personally think all this stuff in the middle east with Jews and Muslims not eating pork probably just started from pork not keeping well in hot humid climates back then so they did what all ancient humans did and took it as a sign from the gods that they shouldn't eat it. I don't see any issue with what Subway have done, as others have said this is probably in vastly Islamic areas only and there may not have been much of a demand anyway. There may have been a small Islamic protest against it but the Daily Mail are just trying to make out it's the sole reason for the change. Typical Daily Mail. How they still have readers I shall never understand.

[video=youtube_share;d3S2gkKnPbY]http://youtu.be/d3S2gkKnPbY[/video]

Anyway, I don't see why they cannot have a little bacon in the fridge. :lol: why can they not look after everyone.

Should be illegal to advertise bacon on grounds of emotional blackmail. I feel the need to go and stock up on bacon now. If pigs ever become extinct it will be a sad day for the non-kosher/ halal segmant of man kind.

Even my vegetarian freind who has never had meat in his life loves the smell of bacon. A few months ago a Muslim boy at my uni had bacon accidentally put in his burger even though he'd asked not to have it. Ever since then he's been having bacon every day!

Octopus arsehole is quite nice too

Is that for real? I remember you posting when you were in Asia so now I do not know if you are being serious or if I am being played for a fool (not that hard to do)

If octopus arsehole is nice then next time I row with the missus I shall give it a go.:p:lol:

I totally dont get this. I Can understand them stocking certain items to suit a demographic of an area. For example all the chicken shops in Walthamstow are Halal. So no problem there at all.

BUT.

Subway is a shop where you get free choice on what exactly goes into the sandwich. You are not given a random choice of certain sandwiches like Chicken and Bacon etc. YOU can CHOOSE what goes inside your own sandwich. So they can have Halal meat or veggie whatever as an option and you can choose it should you want that.

But they have cut Ham and Bacon as a choice in these shops. So should i go in there and fancy mine with bacon in it I cannot have it. How is that right or fair?

Basically what it comes down to is that they are saying that the demographic of these areas do no want any pork products in these shops or they will not buy from there. This means they are making a concious choice to pander to the majority of that area even though they have free will to choose what they get and whatever selection they want.

This is going to sound extreme. But to get my point across. It is not that different to high Muslim area's wanting Sheria law. They are the majority and they want it their way! It starts small and it will get bigger.

Yes they can choose, but don't change what you had to suit someone else, is that not discrimination.

Not being allowed to change the product you sell to better suit your customer group based on the religion of that customer group, wouldn't that be discrimination?

If some subway stores changed to become vegetarian because of most locals being vegetarians would there be an outcry?

And you're talking about going to Birmingham... Birmingham! Surely there are other options for you to find bacon in Birmingham than that one Subway store you like?

I totally dont get this. I Can understand them stocking certain items to suit a demographic of an area. For example all the chicken shops in Walthamstow are Halal. So no problem there at all.

BUT.

Subway is a shop where you get free choice on what exactly goes into the sandwich. You are not given a random choice of certain sandwiches like Chicken and Bacon etc. YOU can CHOOSE what goes inside your own sandwich. So they can have Halal meat or veggie whatever as an option and you can choose it should you want that.

But they have cut Ham and Bacon as a choice in these shops. So should i go in there and fancy mine with bacon in it I cannot have it. How is that right or fair?

Basically what it comes down to is that they are saying that the demographic of these areas do no want any pork products in these shops or they will not buy from there. This means they are making a concious choice to pander to the majority of that area even though they have free will to choose what they get and whatever selection they want.

This is going to sound extreme. But to get my point across. It is not that different to high Muslim area's wanting Sheria law. They are the majority and they want it their way! It starts small and it will get bigger.

is a company giving the customer what they want pandering?

if this was a religious body going to a private company and pressuring them into changing their entire menu to match their belief system thats one thing, a company changing their menu in a tiny percentage of their outlets to get more customers through the door is something completely different

is a company giving the customer what they want pandering?

if this was a religious body going to a private company and pressuring them into changing their entire menu to match their belief system thats one thing, a company changing their menu in a tiny percentage of their outlets to get more customers through the door is something completely different

I think you missed my point. They did not need to change their menu. There is no real menu. Its a selection of ingredients that you choose to put in your sandwich. So they can stock it all.

This is nothing to do with Halal meat. Or catering to a demographic. This is political pressure from a group not wanting to use a certain shop whilst they have any pork in it at all.

I think you missed my point. They did not need to change their menu. There is no real menu. Its a selection of ingredients that you choose to put in your sandwich. So they can stock it all.

This is nothing to do with Halal meat. Or catering to a demographic. This is political pressure from a group not wanting to use a certain shop whilst they have any pork in it at all.

Political pressure? That is not true. The consumer made a demand and the business in desire of monetary gain made a decision. Simple. Free market enterprise in a capitalist system.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Fapatalk

Political pressure? That is not true. The consumer made a demand and the business in desire of monetary gain made a decision. Simple. Free market enterprise in a capitalist system.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Fapatalk

Made a demand for what? If they Demanded Halal meat they got it. If the Shop wanted to give them what they wanted then they just had to stock Halal meat. Freedom of choice. But this still has nothing to do with them not selling Bacon or pork.

I think what I am trying to get across. That is the consumers in these areas must have said something along the lines that as long as Subway sold Pork products they would not frequent the stores. So yes, if they are doing it for financial gain to get these customers in then so be it.

But why do that? does that mean shops that dont have many veggie customers should stop stocking veggie items? what happened to just giving choice over to the public?

so you would be quite happy if your local Asda, Tesco etc decided not to stock pork products due to the majority local consumer?

Back