• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Steven Bergwijn

I hope we will not be calling him N'Bergwijn anytime soon.
I don't understand this move.
I must be a Jose hunch or total change with Son or someone on the move this summer.
Don't get it!

I must be a Jose hunch or total change with Son or someone on the move this summer.
Don't get it!

He offers pace, power and direct dribbling with an eye for goal. Other than Son (when on form) we don't have any players who are similar.

He is filling a deficiency in our squad and will be a very useful rotation option, allowing other more slow paced forwards rest as needed.

Don't get it!
If a player becomes available that is better than we have and we can get him we should buy him
We have taken a back foot before on some players and others have jumped in so we have missed out at a good time to buy
If a top keeper was available and we could get him I’d fully endorse us buying him even though we have Hugo a sit brings the whole squad level up and drives competition

Don't get it!
As Jose has started Moura and Son together when he can, we have no similar option from the bench. Sessegnon hasn’t shown much yet in terms of an attacking threat and has recently been used as a left back so this will hopefully give us some in game flexibility for our forwarded play within game and a chance to rotate a little more.
One of the issues even when we were at our peak under Poch was we had little in the way of genuine depth, Kane Alli Son and Erisken played most games and the only position that got rotated was full back. If we can get a number 9 to supplement Kane then the front four positions will have a few different permutations going forward.

He offers pace, power and direct dribbling with an eye for goal.

This sounds too familiar. Yes I had to google him;)
We bought a few of these and not so long ago.
This smacks of a cheap bit of speculative squad building.
Let's hope the lad shines.

this guy is going to rinse the PL. called it now we can quote this in 3 years. i think he's probably a bit one footed but he''ll cut in from the left for days and it hasn't stopped zaha/robben/lamela/silva etc. he has legitimate scary pace, like son. maybe faster.

i still think we need a DM but i guess no noise is good news nowadays.

If a player becomes available that is better than we have and we can get him we should buy him
We have taken a back foot before on some players and others have jumped in so we have missed out at a good time to buy
If a top keeper was available and we could get him I’d fully endorse us buying him even though we have Hugo a sit brings the whole squad level up and drives competition

That makes some sense. This we have Sessegnon playing at f£"$ing left-back and we buy this guy! madness.

This new guy is exactly what Sessegnon is/could be if played in his correct position.
Crazy thinking from Jose
I had high hopes for Sessegnon considering how young he was when he broke through, but I’ve not seen much in the way of him getting past his man yet or playing with any real attacking thrust - he could be playing conservatively due to instruction or lack of confidence or maybe he hasn’t fully recovered from his hammy injury.
Either way he is playing left back and will probably get more games there in the short term. I think a number 9 is a bigger priority but I see strengthening the squad in another area where players get subbed and rotated the most as a positive thing, especially when you consider United and Chelsea with greater spending power have not done anything in this window yet.

Don't get it!

Mourinho did address a possible reason in his 10th January press conference.

Jose Mourinho said:
This isn’t about a list of players. January is a strange market, it’s not an easy market to be in. It’s a market of opportunity, a market where an opportunity arise and you have the conditions to do it or not to do it.

I had high hopes for Sessegnon considering how young he was when he broke through, but I’ve not seen much in the way of him getting past his man yet or playing with any real attacking thrust - he could be playing conservatively due to instruction or lack of confidence or maybe he hasn’t fully recovered from his hammy injury.
Either way he is playing left back and will probably get more games there in the short term. I think a number 9 is a bigger priority but I see strengthening the squad in another area where players get subbed and rotated the most as a positive thing, especially when you consider United and Chelsea with greater spending power have not done anything in this window yet.

Buying this lad with Sessegnon sitting on bum somewhere is %$^£ madness IMHO.

I can only think that someone will be on his bike this summer.

Mourinho did address a possible reason in his 10th January press conference.

Jose is setting his stall out for hunch signings and getting his excuses in early.
Bergwijn looks useful and fingers crossed is a success. Why we bought Sessegnon is beyond me. We might as well get Ryan out on loan.
Tanganga and Davies have left back sorted with others to sep in.

Jose is setting his stall out for hunch signings and getting his excuses in early.
Bergwijn looks useful and fingers crossed is a success. Why we bought Sessegnon is beyond me. We might as well get Ryan out on loan.
Tanganga and Davies have left back sorted with others to sep in.

I think that he is saying that it is difficult to prise players away from clubs in January and that the deals that tend to get done are where relationships have broken down. By its nature, it's an opportunists window.

Back