• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Starting 11?

awesome dawson

Mitchell Thomas
We're leaving it too late to make any big name signings or I suspect we won't be making any...

So how do you see us lining up next season based on current players and those due back this week?

I'll go for;

--------------Lloris------------
Walker Vertonghen Dawson Davies
-------------Sandro------------
---------Dembele Holtby--------
-----Eriksen---------Lamela-----
------------Soldado-------------

Re: New season's best starting 11?

Really, Dawson? I think the tea lady would do better

Have been lurking for years but finally decided to reply. Rather than a first XI I would highlight the nailed on starters and then see what needs doing.

For me, and irrespective of formations, I think following the American/Canadian tour nailed on starters are; Lloris, Walker, Vertongen, Davies and Lamela.

Before the tour I would have added Eriksen to that list; however he had a shocker and the question now becomes whether Lamela and Eriksen can be accommodated.

The intriguing area is central midfield and what combination will be chosen. Are Capoue and Sandro good enough for that central Pivot role or will we sign someone, equally, would you play one holding player and one more mobile player and; if so, who will that be...?

Personally, I think we are a young CB short as Kaboul won't go injury free for long and I don't trust Dawson and don't rate Vlad. In midfield I'd sell one of our holding players and also one of our box to box types and buy Schneirdelin at all costs.

Up front, I think we are ok and would play the form players including people like Ceballos and Falque if they are on form.

If we sign Scheirdelin I will be very excited, if we don't moderately so but still expectant. Either way COYS.

Lloris

Walker
Vertonghen
Chiriches
Davies

Sandro
Carroll
Holtby

Lamela
Adebayor
Eriksen

Not sure why we're leaving it too late? One of our most significant signings in recent years, VDV, happened after the window closed. Still loads of time for something to happen, if that's what Levy and Poch deem necessary. Given what we have right now, I would start the team below. But I'd still like another centre back and a winger / forward.

Lloris
Walker Vertonghen Kaboul Davies
Sandro Dembele
Lennon Eriksen Lamela
Adebayor

For me it is one of

Walker Dawson Vertonghen Davies
---------Sandro-Capoue-----------
--Lamela---Eriksen---Chadli----

Walker Dawson Vertonghen Davies
---------Sandro-Capoue-----------
--Lamela---Paulinho---Eriksen----

Probably the first one.

Really, Dawson? I think the tea lady would do better

Kaboul is a cripple and Verts and Chiriches are too similar to play together (i.e. both the cultured CB partner not the powerful one).

Dawson is the best option we have to partner Verts at this point in time IMO.

Not sure why we're leaving it too late? One of our most significant signings in recent years, VDV, happened after the window closed. Still loads of time for something to happen, if that's what Levy and Poch deem necessary. Given what we have right now, I would start the team below. But I'd still like another centre back and a winger / forward.

I'm happy with where we are at now. We've addressed the major weakness in our side (LB), and other than the absences of the WC and ill players, it seems we've been having a great pre-season.

Anything we do in the last week of the window (upgrading a CB, ballplaying CM or LWF) will be nice to have, but isn't essential.

From the players we currently have....

------------------------Lloris-----------------------

walker-----------Dawson----Vertonghen-------Davies

-------------------Sandro----Dembele---------------

-------Townsend--------Lamela----------Eriksen-----

-----------------------Adebayor---------------------

Last edited:

How exactly people think Soldado should be a starter after 2 open play goals in a whole season and misses galore is beyond me (especially after how good Ade played). The rest is up for debate..

Lloris
Walker - Kaboul - Vertongen - Davies
Sandro - Dembele
Lennon - Lamela - Eriksen
Soldado​

You know what boys, maybe not signing many players will work for us this year. I remember when arsenal didn't sign anyone more or less one season and they were amazing that year. You never know, Lamela could be amazing as could Soldado. Ade will be Ade which means he will be handy for 50% of the time and Eriksen should hit the season running from the start.

Obviously a game changer signing would have been amazing, but Lamela could be that new signing really.

How exactly people think Soldado should be a starter after 2 open play goals in a whole season and misses galore is beyond me (especially after how good Ade played). The rest is up for debate..

Because quicker passing through midfield and the creative guile in the final third of the two Eriks should suit him much more than AVB's slower build-up or Timmeh's long ball.

Ade's a superb player with his back to the goal or running the channels, but with quick incisive passing Soldado is the man you want to find space in the box.

I actually wouldn't be adverse to seeing Soldado CF and Ade LWF.

Yup, it's ridiculous.

If he had shown any of the qualities a lone front man requires, but his finishing was abysmal, then fine, you could say there's something. Instead, he's shown nothing. No desire, no work rate, no strength, no pace, no heading ability. The occasional good touch - and I do mean occasional - does nothing to negate his plethora of failures.

Depends on if you are picking a side for West Ham or two months from now, I don't expect to see Ade on pitch for West Ham

West Ham side

LLoris

Walker - Kaboul - Vert - Davies

Capoue - Holtby

Lennon - Lamela - Eriksen

Soldado

Yet you want Townsend in there, 1 goal all season from a botched cross. ZERO assists. Soldado was more of a threat on the wing when playing as a striker. Actually put in some crosses that led to goals.

Ade faded badly after his initial good spell last season.

............Lloris
Walker/Kaboul/Vert/Davis
......Sandro/??????
..Lennon/Lamela/Eriksen
.............Ade

Back