• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

St.Patrick's Day

Park Lane James

Andy Sinton
Never understood why we celebrate it more than the day of England's patron saint - St. George. I guess it can be excused if the we're playing them in the rugby though!

To all the Irish, hope you have a cracking day!

No doubt if England went large on St George's Day, people on non-english descent who live here would no doubt complain

So what if they complained? Why should we not be able to celebrate a signficant date in the English calendar? I wouldn't tell people of a non-English heritage to not celebrate their events, so why should they tell us?

To be fair, the vast majority of non-English heritage residents don't give two bricks about others celebrating Christmas, St George's Day or whatever they really want. It's usually just some government official deciding that something should be banned in case it offends others, without actually consulting the potentially offended party. Or it's five macaronic Muslims complaining who get a brick load of media coverage to create a story.

The wife is irish, i just got in and she said do i want to celebrate it, i have done in the past but after what i just saw at the lane i do not feel like being jolly. Going to give my son a hug and then make myself some stir fry and open the scotch up.

I like the irish, hell i married one but i do not like the ones who feel the need to try and live up to an image of what they think an irish person is, going around being the life and sole of the party and pretending to like poetry. The are some like that but a lot just pretend to be because they think it gives them an idenity.

I feel the same about gay poeple who act to gay, religious people(all different religions) who force religion down my neck, english people who try to act posh or english people who try to be working class, australians who to try to act drunk and loud even if they are really quiet.

Basically i dislike anyone who i feel to be acting, but recently people have started calling me victor after a fella that moaned a lot in a t.v. show.

The wife is irish, i just got in and she said do i want to celebrate it, i have done in the past but after what i just saw at the lane i do not feel like being jolly. Going to give my son a hug and then make myself some stir fry and open the scotch up.

I like the irish, hell i married one but i do not like the ones who feel the need to try and live up to an image of what they think an irish person is, going around being the life and sole of the party and pretending to like poetry. The are some like that but a lot just pretend to be because they think it gives them an idenity.

I feel the same about gay poeple who act to gay, religious people(all different religions) who force religion down my neck, english people who try to act posh or english people who try to be working class, australians who to try to act drunk and loud even if they are really quiet.

Basically i dislike anyone who i feel to be acting
, but recently people have started calling me victor after a fella that moaned a lot in a t.v. show.

I'm with you on this one, anybody who feels the need adopt a persona to conform to a stereotype alienates me immediately.

Last edited:
I've had potato overload tonight

Got a bag from the Top Wok, and then found out that the mrs had cooked me a roast, because she knew I was coming back early

2 dinners!

Hmmm, two birds with one stone tomorrow I think, Paddy's Day and Mother's Day both in the same weekend I think I'll have me little Oirish Mammy round for boiled bacon and cabbage tomorrow.

Now, I could have posted some Dubliners or Christy Moore, instead I'll post a song from 15 months or so ago, still relevant though.
[video=youtube;ljPFZrRD3J8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljPFZrRD3J8[/video]

RubberJohnny-1.jpg

Last edited:
Never understood why we celebrate it more than the day of England's patron saint - St. George. I guess it can be excused if the we're playing them in the rugby though!

To all the Irish, hope you have a cracking day!

If by 'we' you mean the English, that's easy to explain: it's because the English have a bit of an identity crisis; desperately want to celebrate their culture and history, they're just not sure they have any worth celebrating, or which won't offend anyone else. I think it says it all, when you oft. hear the question posed: 'What does it mean to be British?' = :ross: 'ing by the rest of the world. After all, if you can't even agree on what defines you, how the hell are you going to celebrate anything!?

So, instead, just latch onto other cultures' celebrations like desperate parasites. Then complain, like jealous little bitches :-({|=

To be fair, the vast majority of non-English heritage residents don't give two bricks about others celebrating Christmas, St George's Day or whatever they really want. It's usually just some government official deciding that something should be banned in case it offends others, without actually consulting the potentially offended party. Or it's five macaronic Muslims complaining who get a brick load of media coverage to create a story.

I think you're confusing non-English with non Christian. Which really annoys me to hell. I was in hospital recovering from surgery once when they orderly came offering dinner, they said that there was only the vegetarian option open to me. I asked why they said that because the meat option contains Pork, I was so incensed that I nearly jumped out of the bed, ripping out my IV and demanded that I be given my pork as I was a Christian and asked her why she thought I couldn't eat pork. She didn't even apologise to me she just said "OK" and walked on.
Not everyone who is brown is muslim, a lot of us are Christian too.

I think you're confusing non-English with non Christian. Which really annoys me to hell. I was in hospital recovering from surgery once when they orderly came offering dinner, they said that there was only the vegetarian option open to me. I asked why they said that because the meat option contains Pork, I was so incensed that I nearly jumped out of the bed, ripping out my IV and demanded that I be given my pork as I was a Christian and asked her why she thought I couldn't eat pork. She didn't even apologise to me she just said "OK" and walked on.
Not everyone who is brown is muslim, a lot of us are Christian too.
You're quite right. Apologies.

If by 'we' you mean the English, that's easy to explain: it's because the English have a bit of an identity crisis; desperately want to celebrate their culture and history, they're just not sure they have any worth celebrating, or which won't offend anyone else. I think it says it all, when you oft. hear the question posed: 'What does it mean to be British?' = :ross: 'ing by the rest of the world. After all, if you can't even agree on what defines you, how the hell are you going to celebrate anything!?

So, instead, just latch onto other cultures' celebrations like desperate parasites. Then complain, like jealous little bitches :-({|=

The forum has really missed your cheery positive attitude.

It's nothing to do with what you typed, people just want to drink. It's got fudge all to do with st patrick, people just see a celebration that involves drinking all day as one that appeals to them.

The forum has really missed your cheery positive attitude.

It's nothing to do with what you typed, people just want to drink. It's got fudge all to do with st patrick, people just see a celebration that involves drinking all day as one that appeals to them.

Oh nooooo, the forum has missed me! :ross: fudge me - are you ever going to get a life?

If "people just want to drink", why don't they just drink to St George too? Plenty of English lager louts would toast that, surely?

The Irish celebrate St Patricks Day, because they're proud and patriotic - not because the idea of drinking all day appeals to them. The English don't have enough pride in their own identity to celebrate it; too scared of "offending" people, and that's why St George's day is a complete damp squid. No other nationality gives a toss about whether being patriotic offends anyone else, so you gotta ask yourself why England is so self-conscious.

Oh nooooo, the forum has missed me! :ross: fudge me - are you ever going to get a life?

If "people just want to drink", why don't they just drink to St George too? Plenty of English lager louts would toast that, surely?

The Irish celebrate St Patricks Day, because they're proud and patriotic - not because the idea of drinking all day appeals to them. The English don't have enough pride in their own identity to celebrate it; too scared of "offending" people, and that's why St George's day is a complete damp squid. No other nationality gives a toss about whether being patriotic offends anyone else, so you gotta ask yourself why England is so self-conscious.

Speak for yourself Nuggets, I always have a beer on St.George's day. My mate gives all his lads the day off and throws a BBQ for them and their families and I normally go along.

Back