• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

sshould I refuse to sign new company contract?

SpursLodge

Nicola Berti
Hi guys

my current contract at work has me down as having to work a 36 hour week. The new management want everyone to sign a new contract that has a 37.5 hour week. they are not increasing salaries in conjunction with this so to me that represeants a pay decrease of around 4%.

Should I refuse to sign the new contract unless they increase my pay by 4% or is that likely to get me sacked, can they sack me for not signing a new contract? What are my options and the possible outcomes?

I'd ask them to increase your holiday time

Meet them half way and ask for 3 days extra holiday

They are taking the fudging tinkle out of you mate

I wouldnt fudging sign it.

My company tried to get me to sign a reduction in leave - I fudging went ape brick. I stuck to my guns and won.

Dont sign it and brick in the Boards desk drawers

Find where your boss lives and brick on his doorstep.

Signing a contract that gains you nothing but makes you work more would be pointless.

You can discuss it with HR and if you dont sign it take it to tribunal or whatever - check the policy.

I bet youre actually working more tan 37.5 hrs anyways

Hi guys

my current contract at work has me down as having to work a 36 hour week. The new management want everyone to sign a new contract that has a 37.5 hour week. they are not increasing salaries in conjunction with this so to me that represeants a pay decrease of around 4%.

Should I refuse to sign the new contract unless they increase my pay by 4% or is that likely to get me sacked, can they sack me for not signing a new contract? What are my options and the possible outcomes?

Sounds like your company is in dire financial trouble. Adjusting working hours is a means to increase productive capacity while reducing overheads - risky move, as it massively lowers morale, but one which a company may chose to take in the short-term so as to ride out a rough period.

Yes in real terms it's a 4% paycut, but I don't know how easily re employable you are? If you left the company, then you'd have a 100% paycut. All contracts can be terminated; your recourse would surround the circumstances and mitigating reasons for the termination. Put simply: even if you took your employer to a tribunal, they could argue that a change to the terms of employment was a necessary - albeit regrettable - decision, taken to safeguard jobs and the future of the company. And as long as they follow predetermined procedure then you'd struggle to win any dismissal case too.

If I were you, I'd ask your management for the in-depth reasoning behind the proposals. You may take a different view, if the management tells you that - if this change isn't accepted - the business will fold. Any gripe about 4% would then become somewhat academic.

Jesus, it's an hour and a half more a week. Just fudging sign the thing.

Why should he? which means he is making more money for the company at no reward for his services. fudge that. This is how Companies take advantage of their employees.

Then again I dont know the reasons why there is this increase hence speaking to HR etc as to the reasons for this move.

1.5 hours multiplied by 52 weeks = 9.75 days

So they want you to work 2 weeks a year for free?

Have some fudging pride

1.5 hours multiplied by 52 weeks = 9.75 days

So they want you to work 2 weeks a year for free?

Have some fudging pride

Thats not to mention that im sure he already works more than those hours stipulated in his current contract anyways.

Arent we the nation with the largest amount of hours being put in unpaid?

Strange? If the company goes under, his contract aint worth brick.

That's the point.

And?

If his company goes under he can work for somebody else

Preferably a company that honours the contract he signs, and pays him for every hour he works

The company I work for was acquired last summer

Every single aspect of our contract was considered and improved where our previous contract was stronger

i.e. our new employer decided NOT to take the tinkle out of us

Back