• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Squad rotation?

Yeah I thought someone would list a few who have replaced whoever. We're lighter this year for sure not just down to injuries either.

i dunno if it's still true today but before the last game (or maybe the one previous) there was a statistic that said we had used more players than any other side in the league this season.

I see a lot more "mini-rotation" than in the Redknapp years, esp. when it comes to taking players off at 70 or 80 minutes. At high level, it's the last 10-20 minutes of a game that really do the damage. Any decent player should be able to "f***in' run around a bit" for 70 minutes -- ask them to give max effort for any more, and that's when they're calling on their reserves.

Defence: Plenty of rotation happening, partly enforced.
Midfield: Was a little worried about Sandro, but hopefully he'll get a break now Scotty's back. And he's a BEAST. Lennon's my big worry here, but he's not being used for the full 90 every time.
Attack: Need a replacement for Defoe, or he's going to be knackered come the end of the season.

Totally agree fat bloke about defoe i would even suggest it is starting to happen. He is snapping at his shots more then he did at the start of the season think he could do with a rest already.

I see a lot more "mini-rotation" than in the Redknapp years, esp. when it comes to taking players off at 70 or 80 minutes. At high level, it's the last 10-20 minutes of a game that really do the damage. Any decent player should be able to "f***in' run around a bit" for 70 minutes -- ask them to give max effort for any more, and that's when they're calling on their reserves.

Midfield: Was a little worried about Sandro, but hopefully he'll get a break now Scotty's back. And he's a BEAST. Lennon's my big worry here, but he's not being used for the full 90 every time.
Attack: Need a replacement for Defoe, or he's going to be knackered come the end of the season.

Good post.

Walker and Sandro could do with a little rest IMO, and with Parker fit and Benny just about fit we should be in a good position to rest them soon.

Hello mate,

I'd say now is the time to start rotating, absolutely. I think we will certainly see Dembele rested a bit more here and there, further I think Sandro and Parker can 'probably' be rotated too, though I am noting that Parker is now back to his more attacking movements of earlier in his career. I think he's done very well with younger players such as Caulker, who have been rested, and I am hoping that he gives Naughton some RB time and Benny back in at left. Gallas has also enjoyed some rest.

I am concerned about JD getting hurt and would like to see if we can't try Sig in the hole off Ade for a couple of games, but maybe the one thing thus far I have seen AVB do well in regards to rest and use, is NOT force player back in if they're, say, 70%. I was gutted Dembele wasn't in for the derby, but if by not pushing him there we actually ensured his current level of participation, then all good.

Let's see mate...I am hopeful he will continue to manage the squad as well as I believe he has thus far!

Not only do we get a couple of key players back from injury, but the team is settled and everyone seems comfortable with how we play and as such rotation is easier to carry out. Some will obviously play more than others, but there's not really a first XI. We have different options in attack that allows us to implement specific gameplans depending on the opposition.

Nice post, good points.

Not only do we get a couple of key players back from injury, but the team is settled and everyone seems comfortable with how we play and as such rotation is easier to carry out. Some will obviously play more than others, but there's not really a first XI. We have different options in attack that allows us to implement specific gameplans depending on the opposition.

Totally agree. I still feel there is more in the tank, too.

Can any of the boffins tell me what result we got this weekend of the season last year?

Wondering if after a good christmas it might be a case of players not quite at there peak anymore, our passing seemed a bit sloppy today.

Can any of the boffins tell me what result we got this weekend of the season last year?

Wondering if after a good christmas it might be a case of players not quite at there peak anymore, our passing seemed a bit sloppy today.

22 December 2011 Chelsea (H) 1–1
27 December 2011 Norwich City (A) 2-0
31 December 2011 Swansea City (A) 1–1

3 January 2012 West Bromwich Albion (H) 1–0
11 January 2012 Everton (H) 2–0
14 January 2012 Wolverhampton (H) 1–1
22 January 2012 Emirates Marketing Project (A) 2–3

Ah that Everton game was the peak I think. The fabled "game in hand", 13 points clear of the goons and we looked like the real deal.

Then we dropped points at home to eventually relegated Wolves, stitched up at City then stuffed by the goons. And United firmly put us in our place too.

Learn the lesson lads :(

anyone else think our players are starting to look jaded?

They did today however we have used more players than any side this season

We always look poor when we play with short intervals with the games after the UEFA cup being the best examples. We looked better at Christmas admittedly

They did today however we have used more players than any side this season

We always look poor when we play with short intervals with the games after the UEFA cup being the best examples. We looked better at Christmas admittedly

I have a feeling and have no figures to back this up but i get the feeling that we have played our top class players in to many of the less important games this season and it is why we see their performances drop off towards the end of the season.

I obviously hope i am wrong but it is a feeling im getting.

I have a feeling and have no figures to back this up but i get the feeling that we have played our top class players in to many of the less important games this season and it is why we see their performances drop off towards the end of the season.

No idea and could be true

I just don't think we have the excuse of being tired in January even though they actually looked it

So, seeing as Parker isn't flavour of the month tonight, who could we play as DM instead? (of our current squad, no newbies).

Dare we put Livermore in? (not my choice, just asking)

Agree with this. I would have liked to have seen AVB rest more players in the Europa League. I know he wants to do well in it, but the league is always the most important competition. And let's be real, do you really need Bale, Dembele, Lennon, Adebayor etc against the likes of Maribor and Panathinaikos?

Back